Re: Sims 3 Dodgy cc MAC

by ameliarrw

Original Post

Sims 3 Dodgy cc MAC

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

This is annoying me SO much! I must have downloaded some dodgy content or something, but I have this horse outfit. When my babies are born, they often have this outfit on, but it makes them invisible! this really annoys me because i do lp's and I don't want it ruining them! PLEASE HELP! Also, the thing with the launcher, doesn't work because as soon as you get to it, the game asks if i want to debug it, and either button you press, the game crashes  the website everyone's talking about is really good, but doesn't have the outfit i'm looking for. :catindifferent:   

PLEASE HELP 

Im also on a mac

Message 1 of 10 (330 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi

It seems that you have two issues - firstly you have some dodgy CC and secondly you are experiencing the fairly common debug crash problem on Mac.

To start with the CC, have you looked at this thread on the main TS3 forum:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/234888.page

There is information on that thread about how to find and get rid of dogdy CC.

For the second problem, sounds like you are getting the all-too-common crashing that often happens with TS3 on a Mac. Try manually clearing your RAM and see if that helps. See BluebellFlora's guide on how to do this: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

I restart my computer before I play TS3. The memory used as seen in Activity Monitor is at about 3GB after the restart. If I open the Launcher it goes up to around 11 GB (that's all I've done - just opened the Launcher!). At this point I reset the RAM. Then I hit play and get through the opening sequence. I then press cmd-return to put the game in windowed mode from time to time while playing (and always before saving or using CAS). That way I can keep an eye on the memory and reset RAM if necessary. Being in windowed mode also allows you to close the game using force quit if it freezes up - it's better to crash the game than your whole computer.

Caspin

Message 2 of 10 (318 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the post, Caspin, but it doesn't make any sense to me. The website it listed about how to get rid of dodgy content, is the one I was talking about. All other things are for windows or the launcher. :-/

Message 3 of 10 (302 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi

Getting rid of dodgy CC is the first thing you need to do. I don't think it matters whether you are using PC or Mac - you need to find out which thing that you've downloaded is dodgy and the easiest way to start off is to remove everything and then add things back bit by bit. Unless you can make a good guess at the item that is faulty, but then you would presumably have already removed it if you were sure which one is the problem.

The other issue with the debugging error - the links I've given are for Mac users. All BluebellFlora's guides are Mac-compatible because she uses a Mac, as do I. Manually resetting RAM can improve the TS3 experience for Mac-users.

For a quick fix I'd suggest doing steps under "primary things to try first" on the main Mac help thread. Making the game generate a fresh folder will not only remove all the CC in one easy step, it will also give you a chance to check that your game setup is OK. Then you can retrieve downloads, saves etc from your original folder on the desktop and try adding them back in.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Links-to-Mac-help-threads-and-guides/m-p/749664#U749664

Caspin

Message 4 of 10 (298 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Really sorry, but this still isn't working. I think I just need to find the file, and delete it. Would you know how to find the right file?

Message 5 of 10 (283 Views)

Hero

Try this: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Finding_Problem_Custom_Content

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 10 (278 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

ok so new thing!  I go into my downloads foler, but there is practaically NOTHING there?!

Message 7 of 10 (271 Views)

Hero

Do you have package files or sims3packs ? Package files are installed in your mods folder, sims3packs in your DCCache folder. The download folder contains the stuff you download through the launcher. I don't think third party sims3packs you install by double clicking ever get transfered to the downlaods folder.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 10 (268 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

The file is definatley from a sims 3 pack as I've had this problem since before I knew .package even existed!

I go into my DCcache and there isn't anything there :manfrustrated:

Please help!

Message 9 of 10 (259 Views)

Hero

Do you have any files in savedSims ? Did you delete your cache files ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 10 (253 Views)