Re: Run Sims 3 without Origin

by bugvey

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Well, it is now November 2017, and I am NOW having to go through Origin to play Sims 3 offline! This is so ridiculous!!!  What a hassle!!!  Why???  Never had this problem prior to 2 wks. ago-this is after playing Sims 3 this way for about the past 4 yrs.!  It puts me in a horrible mood, with a lot of wasted time.  I hope that people will update with this same problem.

Thanks for any help anybody can give.

Message 81 of 94 (1,973 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@tootoocool68 Well you can blame Microsoft and Apple as they decided to stop supporting SecuROM and SafeDisc. This was the DRM The Sims 3 was released with. SecuROM was considered a rootkit and was poorly supported. EA decided to develop a Steam like DRM. All games were left running unless you reinstalled or added new DLC. At that time you were required to redeem the game code in Origin. When you pay for the game you do not own it. What you are paying for is a license to use the software. This is the EULA (end user license agreement) that you agreed to the first time you ran the game (you know the thing that no one reads). If you do not agree with the EULA you have the right to stop using the software. Licensing of software has been around for some time (thank you very much Mircosoft). SecuROM is not new. It was developed by Sony Audio Disc Corporation. With the amount of people who like Steam I'm really surprised that EA users don't like Origin (which is much like Valve's Steam) and doesn't introduce a rootkit to your computer. SecuROM had an install limit and had other issues that were never fixed and mostly caused issues for legal owners of the software and really didn't prevent the piracy it was supposed to and never updated to fix the issues. In the end both Microsoft and Apple decided to stop supporting these DRMs. This has left EA and other game distributors HAVING to support their games by other means. So why don't you complain to the people who started this whole mess. I have several games that won't run on Windows 10 (and previous versions of Windows) like Bioshock which introduced SecuROM to the gaming world. When I bought Fallout 4 I had to activate my game on Steam. When I bought my last 2 Tombraider games I had to activate both on Steam. My brother gave my a PS3 console - I used the console for over a year and then all of a sudden games quit working. I took games back to GameStop only to find the new games wouldn't work either. Then I found out I had to register my console when the PS4 was coming out. I have owned a few consoles in my time and have never had to register any of them before. I only wish someone had told me. I use Microsoft Media Center and all of a sudden MS decides to drop it from Windows 10 operating system. Then Microsoft was supposed to put Kodi into the Xbox One and after a year MS decides to drop the project. There is a lot of garbage going around and it's not being caused by the people you think. I really don't know what the answer is but changes need to come and developers need to to make money for their creations. Well I think I've said enough.

Message 82 of 94 (1,962 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What I don't understand is why you need to download Origin to be able to download a game. If you have an account with Origin surely that should be enough? either way it still registers with their servers without taking up 329MB of space- space which could be used for another of their games. Also if you have the disks then there should be no need for the server, it should be installed in the disk as part of the game's programming.

It doesn't say in the licence agreement that you need to download Origin just that you need to agree and comply with certain rules and regulations.  Not everyone wants their movements tracked just to play a game.

by loging into origin and purchasing software  they can pinpoint what country you are from and currently playing in, they have access to your date of birth card number/ payment agreement. all too easy for any hacker to access. even if you choose to go 'offline' origin can still find a way of tracking you because you have the software. 

I might just be paranoid and cynical but I don't like the weaknesses origin exposes my pc too just to play a game.

Message 83 of 94 (1,904 Views)

★★★★ Novice
So it’s clear that there are many of us desperately unhappy about the obligation of having to log in every time before playing the game. The question is how are we going to resolve this issue? Who can we report this to? Why don’t we start a petition and send it to one of the developers? And at the same time request for new patches for the game?
Message 84 of 94 (1,895 Views)

★ Apprentice
That's a great idea. Could you post a link to the petition here and possibly start as a new thread to raise more awareness of this?
Message 85 of 94 (1,900 Views)

★★★★ Novice

In case you have problems opening the other attachment, this one should be ok.

Standard smile

Message 86 of 94 (1,885 Views)

★★★★ Novice

In case you have problems opening the other attachment, this one should be ok.

Standard smile

Message 87 of 94 (1,884 Views)

★★★ Newbie

no one cares blaaaaaaaahhhh blahhhhhhhh

Message 88 of 94 (1,822 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

there is a way ! - if you are running the disc version.

delete origin ( ignore the message that if you do, you will not be able to re-install),delete the Sims 3 and  all expansion and stuff packs from your computer.

re-install the base game and run. you will be asked (demanded) to install origin - decline and let the EA downloader install the updates ( about half, three quarter of a  hour's worth ).

re install the expansion packs. ( check the final screen on each installation- UNTICK the option to download/install origin, if present- it might even say that if you don't, origin will not be able to upgrade your game - this is rubbish - EA has stopped support for the Sims 3  and will no longer be publishing patches or upgrades- pure blackmail !)

open C:/program files/ELECTRONIC ARTS/EADM and delete the 'download patches' program- this stops the computer downloading and installing the origin set-up program. 

run the game as usual but with either the base game or  last loaded expansion disc installed in the drive- your pre-saved games will still be there. and ignore the message that the game cannot connect to Origin- yipeeeee !.

worked on windows 8X !

Message 89 of 94 (1,726 Views)

Re: CAN WE START A RALLY to get the devs to allow us to PLAY THE SIMS 3 OFFLINE

★ Novice

Sick of this issue gaming is now becoming like this and you wonder why people keep getting accounts hacked this is why they should be responsible for anything that happens to your account no matter how good you password is no a days it is too easy to hack into accounts and steal people personal information thanks to professional hackers who are despite enough to make quick easy cash

Message 90 of 94 (1,347 Views)