Roommate has been added to household

by jimj9236

Original Post

Roommate has been added to household

★★ Novice

I'm playing Sims 3 with the "University Life" add-on.  Been playing the same game file since 7/22/17.  Three times I've had to re-attach "University Life" because it keeps getting removed from my game.  

This time, University Life is 'attached' but the roommate is being added as part of the household.  It happens after about 30 seconds into the game.  He just appears as a third person.

He's not part of my household, not part of my family.  He's always been a roommate.  He does his own thing and I get rent every Friday.  

I don't want him as part of my family and moreso, I don't want to have to control his actions.  Shouldn't have to.

I reached out to support and was told that this forum was the best place to find an answer.

Anyone else had this issue?  Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7 (2,449 Views)

Re: Roommate has been added to household

Hero (Retired)

@jimj9236  What do you mean re-attach? Is it being turned off in the launcher?

Message 2 of 7 (2,435 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes, in the Launcher under "Expansions & Stuff" I had to go back and re-select the University Life expansion pack.  Twice I had to contact support because the expansions were not even showing up.  

Message 3 of 7 (2,433 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@jimj9236  Is your computer a pc or mac? If your computer is a pc please post your computer's dxdiag - link - how to post dxdiag   thank you

Message 4 of 7 (2,428 Views)

★★ Novice

I have a PC.  Here is the information.

Message 5 of 7 (2,423 Views)

★★ Novice

The game created sim, "Cycl0n3 Sw0rd" has been a roommate only (Through the "University Life" expansion pack.)  After weeks upon weeks of game play, he automatically joined the household as part of the family.  I don't want him as part of the family, hence the reason for this post.

Update - 

Since there's been no assistance/explanation from support on how this simply happened, I decided to continue on with the game.  I had Cycl0n3 move out, and bought him a starter home right across the street from my house.  He ran out of the house and moved in to his new home.  

Then, about a minute later (1 hour game time), I notice someone in the house and she's arguing with the cleaning service guy.  I'm thinking, this is odd that a random sim walks into the house.  But no, not random.  She's now a roommate in my house.  Both of my sims (the two that I play) have abilities to introduce themselves, which says that this isn't even an acquaintance of one of my sims.  

What is random, and still unexplained, is how a roommate becomes a member of the household and a new unknown sim takes his place as a roommate.

What other surprises am I in store for?

Message 6 of 7 (2,390 Views)

★★ Novice

Another surprise/glitch...

When a sim creates a portrait, you can display the portrait on a wall.  If you own a property, say "Sunset Institute of Modern Art," then you can place a sim created portrait there.  The value of that portrait adds to the value of the property.

Well now if I place a portrait, it accepts the placement (i.e. green placement) however it does not show up.  The property increases in value as if the portrait is there, but it is not visible.  I tried to place one in my sim's house, and the same thing occurred.

Researching the issue, I found others were having this back in 2011 but I could find nothing that would solve the issue, and it frustrates me to no end that there is no employee, not one, who monitors this board to provide assistance.  

To note, I do not use mods and I do not use cheats.  I play as 'vanilla' as it gets.  Other than the "University Life" expansion, which was purchased as a bundle with Sims 3, that's it.

Do I need to repair a file?  What do i need to do?  I've been playing the same game file since 7/22/17, so just over 4 months now.  

Any assistance is appreciated.. Thanks!

Message 7 of 7 (2,346 Views)