Re: Removing a piece of bad CC?

by graceymanors

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Removing a piece of bad CC?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I managed to get a piece of bad CC, and I can't find it in my launcher, even after removing all my store items and only having CC installed.

So I was following this guide: https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/?p=249

I downloaded the S3pE and the problem I'm having is there is no option to set the view as value...Any other ideas?

I created a sim with the piece of bad CC on it and "shared" it to my launcher, ran Custard and custard didn't find any bad CC on it.

Message 1 of 13 (764 Views)

Accepted Solution

@graceymanors  You said earlier that you could assign the bad cc to a sim in CAS.  Have you tried doing so when each .dbc file is the only one in your clean folder?  This could still help isolate which file you need to take apart.

If the bad cc doesn't appear in your clean folder at all, perhaps it only remains in your old game folder via an installed sim or lot, or its file in DCBackup.  (These files are sometimes a source of "recontamination" for bad cc; everything in DCBackup can be deleted except for ccmerged.package.)  Whatever the case, though, if you can't find the bad cc in your clean folder, you can start copying your library and saved sims files into it in batches, testing in CAS to make sure the bad cc doesn't reappear.  Once you're satisfied that it's gone, you can copy your saves over as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 12 of 13 (863 Views)

All Replies

@graceymanors  Hi.  I hope you're not expecting to find anyone more competent than the Sims forum people here; if you're lucky, igazor might happen to wander in.

Have you tried Method by Mell yet?  It's described in another one of crinrict's guides to getting rid of bad cc.  Sometimes, examining one .dbc bundle at a time reveals the bad cc when it doesn't otherwise show up.

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

Custard is great but doesn't catch everything.  Still, if you can extract the .package files from the sim with bad cc, you could always try one of them at a time in a clean folder until you figure out which one contains the cc.

As far as s3pe is concerned, I've never used it, so I can't tell you how to make it work.  But you could always fiddle around with the settings a bit—start with Preview and see if you can find the one you're looking for.

Message 2 of 13 (756 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

When I ask over on the sims forums website, I get told by gurus and such to post here.I don't know where to go to get help.I keep getting told I'm in the wrong spot.XD

I don't see the item I have listed on that list unfortunately.

I fiddled around with the S3pE but the option to set display as "Value" is missing.Am trying the mell method now.

Message 3 of 13 (752 Views)

@graceymanors  You're fine asking here, or on the Sims forums; the help section closure over there only applied to TS4.  All I was saying is that I don't think the help I can offer measures up to what you'd normally find on the official forums.

Since you can obviously identify the problem item in CAS, you'll know when it's in your game.  So if nothing else works, you can test out your .dbc bundles one by one in a clean folder (be sure to renumber them when you test them, as described in Method by Mell).  Even if the item never shows up in the launcher, it will in CAS in a new save, so at the very least, you'll know which .dbc file has the bad cc.  Then, if all else fails, you can just delete that bundle and rebuild the rest of the cc it contained.  Just check it out in the launcher again and make note of any items you'll want to reinstall.

Message 4 of 13 (745 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Awesome thank you.I will try that out.Hopefully, I can get rid of it.I just hate to lose the good CC I wanted(half of it I can't remember where I got.lol

Yeah, its some weird shirt.It looks like a base game shirt, but it makes toddlers and babies glitch.I believe its the New CAS vampire, but the icon doesn't show up.

I see it in CAS and it has a shopping bag icon.Will try out my dbc files.

Message 5 of 13 (735 Views)

★★★ Guide

So I created a fresh folder and placed the dbc file in, but when I launch the launcher nothing shows up in-game or on the launcher.

Message 6 of 13 (721 Views)

★★★ Guide

So this isn't really working.

When I place the DBC files into my folder.the launcher doesn't update and show any of the CC items, and when I login to my game, there's no CC items.Only one DBC file worked and that didn't have the bad CC in it.

Message 7 of 13 (716 Views)

@graceymanors  Sorry it took so long for me to reply—I couldn't login for a couple of hours.

Anyway, are you changing the numbers on each .dbc file when you examine them?  If there's only one of them in DCCache, it needs to be labeled [something]0.dbc (as in zero), or the launcher won't read it correctly.  After you remove that file, you give it back its original number.

The only reason a clean game folder wouldn't read a .dbc file that's properly numbered is if that file is corrupt.  While this may well be the case for the bundle that contains your bad cc, it's unlikely that all of your other bundles are corrupt as well.

Message 8 of 13 (691 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Ah okay, so when I test let's say dbc1 I need to change the name to dbc0 and test it, then rename it back to 1 again.when I'm done?

Message 9 of 13 (667 Views)

@graceymanors  Yes.  Specifically, instead of dcdb1.dbc, you rename it dcdb0.dbc only while it's the only bundle in DCCache, and then you revert it to its original name when you're done with it.

Message 10 of 13 (657 Views)