Re: SIms 3 on Windows 10

by fearkillerjelly

Original Post

[READ FIRST - POST HERE] Windows 10 Help Thread

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

If you are having issues with Windows 10, please post in this thread. However, only post AFTER AND IF you have tried the suggestions posted below. 

Threads that have been posted will be merged into this thread. 

Things to try: ( source ) 

1) Updating your drivers for Windows 10

Make sure that you've installed the Windows 10 drivers for your graphics card.

Note: For older graphics cards, Windows 10 drivers may not immediately be available. Check the link to your graphics card manufacturer above for the latest available driver.

2) Running the game in compatibility mode  ( Official instructions )

• To run your game in compatibility mode, do the following steps: 
  • Right-click on the Sims 3 icon on your desktop and choose "Properties" 
  • Go to the compatibility tab and choose Windows XP Service Pack 2 
  • Apply
  • Try launch your game

3) Make sure your anti-virus / firewall isn't causing the game to crash

•  Disable your anti-virus / firewall and try launch the game

Remember to enable your anti-virus / firewall if it doesn't help or once you've finished playing! 

4) Try doing a factory reset ( thanks to @pekesims for the instructions! )

• Rename your theSims3 folder in Documents\ElectronicArts to Sims3_Backup
  • Start the game or the launcher

Please note that all your save games will be gone, your options will be reset to factory settings and all your store content will be gone. Don't worry as it's all still there in that backup folder. 

If none of the above help you, please answer the following questions: 

• Please post a complete dxdiag of your issue. Either upload it to a site like pastebin and then link it here or post in in a spoiler tag (spoiler tag is next to the strikethrough button in the text editor) to keep the thread tidy
  • How far do you get? 
  • Are you getting any error messages - if so, please post it
  • What anti-virus are you running? 
  • Are you using the administrator account? 
  • Have you tried the suggestions above (graphics card drivers, compatibility mode)? 
Message 6 of 95 (71,214 Views)

★ Novice

I am still unable to run The Sims 3 in Windows 10. I tried what tech support told me - downloaded new drivers from NVIDIA and set up a profile in the NVIDIA GeForce Experience utility. Uninstalled and reinstalled The Sims 3. Removed my saves too even. Tried compatibility mode, and Windows 10 ran its compatibility mode thing and found the launcher file to be incompatible.

Message 1 of 95 (72,058 Views)

The Sims 3 - Roaring Heights issue

★ Guide

I just upgraded to windows 10 and when I launch sims 3 I'm starting A new game on Roaring Heights and I get as far as selecting my family and A house then it crashes. What can I do?

Message 2 of 95 (71,130 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

i have been having the same problem. i am panicking because i don't know what else to do to get sims 3 working. i am gonna be really mad if they don't fix it soon so that windows 10 can run sims 3.

Message 3 of 95 (71,697 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

My Sims 3 also says incompatible. I am hopeful that this issue will be solved, as I would still like to be able to play the game. 

Message 4 of 95 (71,646 Views)

Incompatibility with Windows 10

★ Novice

I recently just updated to Windows 10 and discovered that the launcher says it's incompatible. I still can get into the game, but the performance went down significantly and doesn't even respond. Just yesterday I ran the game with Windows 8 without any issues. I even tried running the game today with the Windows 8 and 7 settings, but no luck. I am hoping there will be a solution for this, as I'm not ready to give up the game. 

Message 5 of 95 (71,150 Views)

Re: READ FIRST - POST HERE] Windows 10 Help Thread

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@koaboa99 @fearkillerjelly @imdebra  @bev6usa

• Please post a complete dxdiag of your issue. Either upload it to a site like pastebin and then link it here or post in in a spoiler tag (spoiler tag is next to the strikethrough button in the text editor) to keep the thread tidy
  • How far do you get? 
  • Are you getting any error messages - if so, please post it
  • What anti-virus are you running? 
  • Are you using the administrator account? 
  • Have you tried the suggestions above (graphics card drivers, compatibility mode)? 
Message 7 of 95 (71,122 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How do I enable 'compatibility mode'?

I've been waiting on EA chat for hours for a solution as  my game is not loading.

Grrrrrrrrr

Message 8 of 95 (71,182 Views)

qrigin on windows 10 pc keeps closeing down why

★★★ Newbie

origin windows 10 keep closeing down when playing sims3

Message 9 of 95 (71,104 Views)

Re: qrigin on windows 10 pc keeps closeing down why

★★★ Newbie

@crdelves wrote:

origin windows 10 keep closeing down when playing sims3

Message 10 of 95 (71,100 Views)