Re: Problem with opportunity

by MarMarcin

Original Post

Problem with opportunity

★★★ Novice

I got a task for omnplant. At the time when I had to bring 10 steaks, I updated the game from the version of pets to 1.62. Unfortunately, it turned out that when I try to deliver steaks, the sim enters the bar, the progress bar comes to an end, the sim goes out, but the opportunity isn't filled, only the possibility of donating steaks is still possible. The same mistake was with the cast of Pang's ax in the task with him, the sim was talking to the sim that the ax was supposed to deliver, but the task was not completed. But there I was able to remove the opportunity and I got it again, and what to do with the opportunity for omniplant? I do not have mods or CC.

Message 1 of 19 (2,484 Views)

@MarMarcin  If the opportunity isn't read as completed by the game, it should be available again, although of course it's random which one your sim rolls.  (If you want to check whether the delivery registered, have that sim click on the mailbox.  If the sim can order more omni seeds, it's done; otherwise, it's not.)

Without mods, it's hard to fix things like this when they go wrong.  But the first thing you can try, if you haven't already, is deleting the five cache files in your game folder in Documents.  For reference, they are:

CASPartCache.package

compositorCache.package

scriptCache.package

simCompositorCache.package

socialCache.package

You can then have your sim try to deliver the steaks again, preferably in a save from before the first time you attempted it.  If you don't have a backup yourself, the game will have kept the file from the second-to-last time you saved.  You can find it in Documents\EA\TS3\Saves—it will be named [your save name].sims3.backup.  Delete the .backup extension and rename the save, and it will be available to load from the Main Menu.

If that doesn't help, you might have to cancel the opportunity and hope that it's offered again soon.  In the meantime, it's a good idea to delete and replace the bar where your sim tried to deliver the steaks.  This will reset the lot.  It will also cause any sims working there to lose their jobs, so if you don't want this to happen, you can temporarily place a second bar somewhere in the world before you delete the first one.  The second one can be deleted after the first is in place again.

By the way, going forward, it's a good idea to delete your cache files regularly, even when you're not having game issues.  They can fill with stale data and cause all kinds of glitches.  Many of us delete the files after every play session.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 19 (2,468 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thanks for answer. When there was a problem with the opportunity thank you, I read the previous record, so my sim, did not try to provide these steaks in this game record. I have removed these files before. The game even created a new TS3 folder, but it also did not help. I removed the bar and put it in again, but then I could not choose the steak option on it, although the sim has this option in the opportunity panel, but when it is selected, nothing happens. I moved to Sunlit Tides, so I missed this opportunity, but I did not get this opportunity.
Message 3 of 19 (2,463 Views)

@MarMarcin Yes, removing the bar (even temporarily) or moving towns would cause the opportunity to cancel or glitch out.  That was more a suggestion for how to try to make sure it works the next time around.  But there's no guarantee that it will, unfortunately.  I have NRaas ErrorTrap in my game, along with a number of other mods, and I often see a scripterror when a sim of mine finishes delivering the steaks and receives the omni plant seeds.  Without the mods to correct things, I don't know how the game would handle whatever issue is popping up.

Anyway, I hope your sim has more success the next time the opportunity is offered.

Message 4 of 19 (2,458 Views)

★★★ Novice
In China and France I have a mistake with receiving adventures, after choosing the option "Search for adventures", sim wins the finger after the announcements, but nothing happens, nowadays I can only receive the phone, because the sim "Seeking adventures" for a few hours is not theirs found. Maybe these errors somehow combine? Although this occurred before and before the update, the one with omnioclin was triggered by updating the game.
If I used fashion and evoked an opportunity with omnioclin, would the fact of using the fashion be somehow marked in my game record after it was saved? As a last resort, I can install a fashion, bring an opportunity and fashion to remove, but I do not want that the use of it was remembered by the game, because I try not to use them, not to mess up the game, because without mods it has a lot of errors.
Message 5 of 19 (2,441 Views)

@MarMarcin  It's possible that one of the game patches broke the omni plant opportunity, or made it more likely to break, although I don't know for sure.  (By the time I patched to 1.63, I had been using mods for a long time.) There are a number of in-game functions that broke because of a patch and were never fixed.

Yes, you could, in theory, add a few mods to the game, use them to fulfill the opportunities you want, and then remove the mods again.  But you'll probably see more errors later, which the same mods could correct.  A good example is the borked adventure board you're seeing in China and France.  I think it was never reliable without mods, but it probably got worse as more patches were added to the game.  NRaas Traveler fixes many aspects of vacation and travel, including the adventure board, and it also makes the travel transition itself much more reliable, so that your sims are almost guaranteed to arrive safely.

I understand that many people are reluctant to use mods, and there are many mods that introduce extra sources of error.  But this is not true of NRaas mods—they are specifically designed to fix bugs and glitches, clean up bad game data, and generally keep your saves healthy for much longer than they would be otherwise.  The main cleanup mods are ErrorTrap and Overwatch, and they and Traveler don't affect the way you play.  They do their job in the background, without your needing to issue commands.  Other than the occasional report of an error that one of those mods has cleaned up, you would never know they were there.

I should also say that unlike some mods that have special uninstall instructions, and others that can't be removed safely at all, the mods from NRaas can be added and subtracted from your game whenever you want.  As long as you delete the scriptCache.package file, you'll be fine.

Normally I wouldn't recommend mods to someone who is so reluctant to use them, but it sounds like you're having a lot of issues that could be easily addressed.  And there's no way to do so just in the vanilla game—EA never bothered to fix any of the problems you've mentioned.  Without mods, getting around the bugs is mostly a question of luck, and trying over and over again until something works.

One other thing to mention is that if you want to use mods, you'll need to patch to 1.67.  It's easy enough to do—just download and run the Super Patch.  You don't need to patch to 1.69 for any mods to work, and that won't fix any game issues, either; the only "updates" from 1.67 were the mandatory Origin tie-in and the pack selector.  But even if you don't use mods at all, it's still a good idea to patch to 1.67.  A few issues did get fixed, after all.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...

Just be sure to delete the five cache files in your game folder in Documents after you patch.

Message 6 of 19 (2,433 Views)

★★★ Novice
Just after installing this update I can not finish all the started opportunities, both adventures and normal ones.

I used Overwatch for a while, but I do not know if it made the game work any faster.

Now I have version 1.66 installed by superpatcher, I did not install 1.67, because the only fixes that this brings improved communication on the server, at least gave EA.

I understand that fashions make the game more stable, but for me it's an unofficial modification and I feel some resistance to it.

By the way, do you know where to download the update for the Store? I talked to the help of EA and these updates are no longer available through the start program

If I move to another city, both by saving in the library and starting a new game, and choosing to move to a new environment, the game will not remember which adventures I have completed (Egypt, etc.) and I will have to do them from the beginning? I read that the tombs will already bear traces of my activity in them, but the tasks themselves will probably be reset? It's better to move to another city by saving sims in the library right? I have a problem with Bridgeport now that all the Sims from the city are in the work place of Emma Starr and even a traveler went there during Emit when I activated the portal, gave me almanac and instead of giving me this task to collect something there, he got in a car and went there . I discovered it when I started to follow Bonehilda, when she left the coffin. It turned out that she ran there and stood there. Unfortunately, after resetting all the sims one by one they immediately came back with cars.
Message 7 of 19 (2,420 Views)

@MarMarcin  Even though mods are third-party content, EA deliberately made them easy to install and use because the company understood that players would enjoy their games more if they could install mods and custom content.  That's why mods go into the game folder, rather than program files—EA patched in this simpler setup in 2010.  But if you don't want to use mods, I won't mention them again.  Just understand that without them, many of these problems you're seeing will appear again, sooner or later.

(By the way, Overwatch doesn't make the game run faster by itself, although it does clean up errors that can slow things down.  It's almost always used with ErrorTrap, and together, they help prevent the save from becoming so corrupted over time that it's eventually unplayable.  So you might not notice a difference, exactly; it's just that your game wouldn't slow down and glitch out after a couple of generations.)

Anyway, I'm not surprised that Bridgeport is giving your problems.  The EA version has routing issues, and sims also tend to get stuck in elevators and the blacked-out sections of apartment buildings, which is where non-player controlled sims go when they're not supposed to be doing anything else.  Bridgeport is not as poorly made as Isla Paradiso, but you still might need to rebuild or repair sections of it to make it run better.  I'm not sure where the other errors are coming from, but they sound like typical EA glitches to me.  For example, the game loves to give out free cheap cars whenever an inactive sim needs to go somewhere, and those cars just build up over time unless they're removed.

If you save your sim family to the bin, start a new save, and place the family there, the connected vacation worlds that those sims have visited will disappear just like the old homeworld does.  So the tombs will all be reset.  I don't actually know if the game will "remember" which opportunities the sims have completed, but you could always test and find out for yourself.  One possibility is that a sim who has completed certain adventures won't be able to do them again, but another sim will.

As for the store content patches, they're no longer offered through the launcher because they're part of the program files for any player on patch 1.69.  This thread explains what to do about it:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16341942/#Comment_16341942

Message 8 of 19 (2,415 Views)

★★★ Novice
As for the mods, you are definitely right, although perhaps the most mods to TS3, which somehow fix it.

Sims, even personalities come to this plot with the cheapest silver car, although they should drive limousines.

If you could give me fashions that might be useful to me, maybe I will decide on them one day? So first and foremost, this one for calling opportunities. And if you could only give this one, I can delete it and it will not destroy games or saved games. I will download them and when I want to use them I will simply paste them where necessary.
Actually, I wanted to live in Isla Paradiso, because there are islands to discover. In total, I lived in this world for a while (different game), and she cut like Bridgeport.

Is there any way to reduce the size of the saved game without 3Spe? The entire recording has a size of 1.13 GB, and one file TravelDB.package 868 MB. Moving to another city using the "Move" option did not reduce the size of the recording, but maybe it will change with the help of the library?
Message 9 of 19 (2,393 Views)

@MarMarcin  If you move hometowns using the in-game function (i.e. the phone), it makes sense that much of the data from that save will be preserved.  The best way to start over is to save your sim family to the in-game bin, save the house itself separately if you want to keep it, and place both in a new save.  Make sure to quit to desktop before starting the new save; if you switch at the Main Menu, some data from the old save will transfer into the new one.  After you quit and before you start the new save, delete the cache files in your game folder as well.

Another option is to use Save Cleaner to reduce the size of your save files.  It's easier to use than S3PE, and will probably do a more thorough job.  Here's a discussion of Save Cleaner that you might find helpful, starting with this comment:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15419659/#Comment_15419659

The links in the first comment are broken, since NRaas has moved to a new site, so here are the old links via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180228113005/%20http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Deleting+SNAP+resources+FA...

https://web.archive.org/web/20180207093234/%20http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Kuree's+Save+Cleaner

The EA version of Isla Paradiso is so poorly made that it's almost unplayable, even for the most powerful computers with the most effective mods.  If you want to use it, you can either download ciane's fixed version, or copy the edits she made into your own game.  Otherwise, your save will lag and glitch and generally be impossible to play forward after a very short amount of time.  You can read ciane's documentation of her work and/or download her fixed version of IP here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag

The mod you need to assign opportunities is NRaas MasterController.  It's quite useful for the commands it makes available, but it will never do anything on its own—the player has to directly force an action.  So there's no reason to remove it; you can just ignore it until you need it again.  To assign the omni plant opportunity, click on your sim and then select NRaas > MasterController > Basic > Opportunity: By Category > Gardening > The Omnificent Plant.  Make sure that you've cancelled any skill opportunities before you do this, or no new ones will show up.

If you later decide to add mods that specifically prevent glitches and remove corruption from your game, you'll want NRaas ErrorTrap and Overwatch.  Register and Traffic are helpful as well—they control the game's Service and Role sims, and the spawning of vehicles, respectively.

Message 10 of 19 (2,384 Views)