Re: Origin won't open after update?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin won't open after update?

★★★★ Novice

It's been about a week since I have had Origin update and now I can't play The Sims 3 due to it refusing to open. It only opened once after I had cleaned the Origin's cache. I've uninstalled/reinstalled and cleaned the cache multiple times and now it refuses to open Frown I feel like something is blocking it from opening! Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you resolve it?

I have Window 10 and have never had troubles with Origin up until now Frown

May someone please help me fix this? I miss the Sims Frown

Hugs for everyone who does help me out - if possible, can you do a screen shot guide, please?

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 7 (2,118 Views)

Accepted Solution

@ShadowWolfies  OriginThinSetup is exactly the file you want to download.  That's not the issue.  But your antivirus probably is—Trend Micro is known to conflict with Origin.  So you'll need to set a specific exemption for Origin, or you won't be able to run it, much less your games.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (2,037 Views)

All Replies

@ShadowWolfies  When you uninstalled Origin, did you do a clean uninstall?  If not, you might have missed some files.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

When Windows updated, your antivirus or firewall may have updated as well and could now be blocking Origin.  If so, you'll need to set an exception specifically for Origin.  Without knowing which tool(s) you're using, I can't give you a guide, but you could probably find a few on google.

If this doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach the results here using the Browse button.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

P.S.  If I don't see any obvious issues, I'll probably move your post to the general Origin board, where you'll get more specific troubleshooting help.

Message 2 of 7 (2,104 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I did the uninstall several times/reinstalled by the link you showed me, tempted to try the hard one but I'm worried about messing up Frown

I have a Windows 10 64bit Lenovo laptop if that's any help?

For Virus Scanners - I use Trend Micro. Windows Defender is there too but I'm pretty sure that's disabled.

When i download Origin it always downloads The Slim version (not sure if there are any others that may help me). I notice when I open it the Web Server Helper appears in the task Manager. I use the TM to see what is happening - is that supposed to happen if not how can I stop it?

Is there a way to launch The Sims 3 from Steam if I can't open Origin?

I had a look at my Event Viewer too and this is one of the errors I have had when trying to open Origin:

The Origin Web Helper Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Is there a possible way to fix that error?

Thank you, so much for your time in helping me!

Message 3 of 7 (2,087 Views)

@ShadowWolfies  The "hard way" of reinstalling is one way to clean your computer's registry before reinstalling, but you can also use a tool like Piriform's CCleaner (the free version works fine) instead, with almost no risk of deleting anything else besides TS3 files.

No, it doesn't help to know you have a Lenovo laptop.  Like most brands, Lenovo makes a wide variety of products.  Please run a dxdiag so that we know what you're working with.  It's also important to make sure there aren't any other issues with your computer, and maybe answer some of the other quesions you have.

You need to check the settings in Trend Micro and set an exception for Origin; that app may have caused the original issues you saw.

I'm not sure why you're getting the slim version of Origin, but here's the link for the normal one:

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/download

And you can't play TS3 through Steam unless you own the game in Steam.  Owning the game in Origin doesn't help.

Message 4 of 7 (2,081 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I did the dxdiag test.

I took a screenshot of me downloading it via the link provided but the Slim version came up... Not sure why it does that!

Message 5 of 7 (2,052 Views)

@ShadowWolfies  OriginThinSetup is exactly the file you want to download.  That's not the issue.  But your antivirus probably is—Trend Micro is known to conflict with Origin.  So you'll need to set a specific exemption for Origin, or you won't be able to run it, much less your games.

Message 6 of 7 (2,038 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddictyou are amazing! Thank you so much for pin pointing out the issue. Yes, it was Trend Micro blocking Origin and after a quick google search, I was able to add Origin to the exemption list Standard smile

Thank you, again for all of your time and help, I really appreciate it! The Sims 3 is now working beautifully again. I missed playing it. I wish I can give you a hug!

Message 7 of 7 (2,006 Views)