Origin won't let me play sims 3

by Hefa224

Original Post

Origin won't let me play sims 3

★★★★ Novice

Hi, I have been having problems for a few months now, but basically everytime I press play on origin on sims 3, nothing happens, i.e. it does not take me to my sims 3 launcher, it just goes back to the origin page. I have tried literally everything and even contacted the advisers a few times but nothing has resolved my issue. If anyone had any ideas/solutions that could help, I would very much appreciate it as I really miss playing sims. Thank you so much :-) 

Message 1 of 16 (7,201 Views)

Re: Origin won't let me play sims 3

@Hefa224  I don't know what "literally everything" means; maybe it would help to list the steps you've already tried, so I don't repeat anyone else's suggestions.

In the meantime, the easiest step would be to drag your TS3 game folder out of Documents\EA and onto your desktop.  If you can then launch the game and load a new save, the issue is in your game folder.

If that doesn't work, sign into Origin, put it in offline mode, then take your computer completely offline—turn off wifi and/or pull the ethernet cable.  Trash the new game folder that was created in Documents with the above test, and launch the game while offline.  Let me know if this works, and if not, whether you receive any error messages.

If you can't launch the game while offline, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

The dxdiag is Windows-only.  If you happen to be on a Mac, try the above steps, but don't open Origin at all; just launch the game by double-clicking the Sims 3 icon in Applications.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 16 (7,124 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for your reply! I write down everything I've so far (as yeah I maybe should have clarified)

1. I deleted all my mods/CC
2. Deleted my electronic arts folder (so I currently dont have one at the moment as I can't get back into the game)
3. Completely uninstalled both origin and sims 3 and then reinstall them (I do have expansions packs, but at the moment I've only just re downloaded the base game as I figured it may have been an issue with one of the expansions (but it doeskin seem like it at the moment)
4. Before installing sims 3 again, I used Ccleaner to make sure anything of sims 3 was wiped out so I can start anew
5. I have ran dxdiag before when I spoke to adviser and they had asked me to run something else as well but I can't remember what as it was ages ago (but I have done the dxdiag again so I'll attached to this post)
6. cleared origin cache
7. performed a clear boot.

I have tried your steps you mentioned but it unfortunately hasn't worked but I really do appreciate you trying to help! :-) No errors messages appears, I just literally press play on sims 3 on origin and instead of taking me to the sims 3 launcher it just takes me back to origin as if I never pressed play. However, ages and ages ago before this happened, I did actually get an error message on sims 3 launcher when it wouldn't let me play but I can't remember what the code was. I just googled what the error was and i couldn't find a solution to fix it and then eventually it just lead to where I am now. So yeah I really do wish I wrote down the error code.

But anyway thank you so much for your help, it really is appreciated :-)
Message 3 of 16 (7,089 Views)

★★★★ Novice

DXdiag- please see attached

Message 4 of 16 (7,088 Views)

@Hefa224  Sorry for the delay.  The errors in your dxdiag point to an issue with one of the .NET frameworks.  Microsoft made a repair tool that should cover all of them:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Even though it's not listed, it works fine in Windows 10.  If you do get an error, please let me know where in the process, and copy the message into a post or, even better, grab a screenshot.

Message 5 of 16 (7,040 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Hi thank you so much for your reply and sorry for the late reply. I did download the Net.framework repair tool and followed the steps but I don't think it managed to repair them. I have attached what it has said, as I think I maybe have to download something else but I have no idea. Apologies I'm the worse with computers which is properly why I have so many issues with sims. 

Thank you so much again for your help! :-) 

Message 6 of 16 (6,979 Views)

@Hefa224  Given the messages, this would be a good time to run a some Windows repairs.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Message 7 of 16 (6,960 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  Thank you for your reply, I have attached the message to this post! :-) 

Message 8 of 16 (6,940 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Hefa224  Okay, try this:

• Hit Windows key-X and again choose "Command Prompt (Administrator)" or "PowerShell (Administrator)"
  • Type "msiexec" without quotes, and enter
  • A window labeled "Windows Installer" should pop up; click OK, and then restart your computer and run the same .NET repair tool as before
  • If the window doesn't pop up, in the same Command Prompt/PowerShell window, paste "msiexec /unregister" without quotes, and enter, then restart your computer
  • Then paste "msiexec /regserver" without quotes, and enter, and then "msiexec" again, and enter
  • If the window still doesn't show, let me know; if it does, run the .NET repair tool
  • If the .NET repair tool still doesn't work, hit the Windows key and type Service
  • Select the Services app, then scroll to Windows Installer, right-click on it, and select Properties.  If it says "Service status: deactivated," let me know
  • Otherwise, under Service status, click Start or Restart, then run the .NET repair tool again

And, of course, please post any errors you get along the way.  The screenshots are always helpful.

Message 9 of 16 (6,912 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Hey, thanks for the reply! I did your first 3 steps as the window popped up. I also did the last three steps, and the Net.repair tool came up with the same message as before.
Message 10 of 16 (6,886 Views)