My sims 3 game cannot start. It says an error during startup.

by aobadsul

Original Post

My sims 3 game cannot start. It says an error during startup.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

How can I fix the sims 3 error there was an error during startup? Please see the log file for details. I want to fix this error without reinstalling everything but if anyone suggested that I would go with the reinstall route then fine and maybe even reinstalling windows as well. This error message has been bothering me for the past day and my game was working properly before that. 

Message 1 of 6 (386 Views)

Re: My sims 3 game cannot start. It says an error during startup.

@aobadsul  There are a few different causes for this particular error.  The first and easiest thing to try is to drag your TS3 game folder out of Documents\EA and onto your desktop.  If the game now launches, then you can start moving your content from your old game folder to the new one that will have been created in its place.  Test after moving each batch of files, and if you get the error again, you'll know the issue is something in the last batch you moved.

If that doesn't help, try running Origin and Sims 3 as an administrator.  Right-click on the Origin icon to see the option, and once Origin is open, do the same with the Sims 3 icon on your desktop.

If this doesn't help either, have you recently uninstalled any packs?  This error is often related to broken registry entries.  Did Windows recently update, or was there an update to your antivirus/firewall?

It would also be helpful to see a dxdiag on this computer.  You can run one and attach the results directly to a post here.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (367 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Here is my dxdiag. I can tell that my hardware seemed to be sufficient to run the game and my game was working fine before the error occurred. Could it be that I have deleted everything by mistake?

Message 3 of 6 (361 Views)

@aobadsul  The dxdiag lists more than just hardware; I was curious about Windows error reports, driver dates, and free storage, among other things.  On that last point, you're fine now, but 25 GB free on your C drive isn't a lot.  If you keep installing apps or storing on C, you'll run out of space soon enough.  D has plenty of space though.

You can check whether the program files are all present, if you're not sure.  This uninstall guide lists where everything should be (you don't have to uninstall—yet—just look for the files).

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3/

What about the other suggestions?  Did they not make a difference?  And did you update your computer or any antivirus/firewall programs after the most recent time you played successfully?

Message 4 of 6 (354 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I didn't get any error message and my antivirus and firewall are working properly

Message 5 of 6 (352 Views)

@aobadsul  Please try the suggestions I posted earlier:

There are a few different causes for this particular error. The first and easiest thing to try is to drag your TS3 game folder out of Documents\EA and onto your desktop. If the game now launches, then you can start moving your content from your old game folder to the new one that will have been created in its place. Test after moving each batch of files, and if you get the error again, you'll know the issue is something in the last batch you moved.

If that doesn't help, try running Origin and Sims 3 as an administrator. Right-click on the Origin icon to see the option, and once Origin is open, do the same with the Sims 3 icon on your desktop.

And please answer this question as well:

did you update your computer or any antivirus/firewall programs after the most recent time you played successfully?

Message 6 of 6 (344 Views)