Re: Moving out (splitting active house) stuck in processing

by hunnypooh1

Original Post

Moving out (splitting active house) stuck in processing

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Is there another way to fix this? I'm having this exact same problem. Clipboard gone and everything. I don't have the axe, I sold it a while ago so it's not in anyone's inventory. But still I'm stuck on processing after confirming the family before a move. Tried to split but just ended up with an empty UI. I tried so many things and have had to restart at least 10 times now and I'm on a legacy so I'd rather not start over..what can I do?

Message 1 of 11 (1,890 Views)

@hunnypooh1 I've split your comment into its own thread, since the previous thread was several years old.

I take it that neither the phone method of moving sims out nor the "Split Household" in Edit Town is working?  The first thing to try is to delete the five cache files in your game folder in Documents.  They should be cleared regularly even in the absence of game issues, as they tend to fill up with stale data.  While troubleshooting, make sure to delete them every time you quit the game.  For reference, these files are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If that alone doesn't help, you can try to lower the stress on the game as much as possible.  The splitting of a household shouldn't be all that demanding, but it may well cause a temporary RAM spike, which may be enough to cause the game to crash or hang if you're already close to the limit.  Here are some steps that will help:

Empty out your sims' personal inventories as much as possible.  A few items are fine; a few hundred are probably not.

At the Main Menu, turn off the in-game shopping experience and the hidden object interactive loading screens.

• Turn down your graphics options to their minimum, and quit.  (You can turn the options back up when you're done with the move.)
  • Delete your cache files again.
  • Don't sign in at either the launcher or Main Menu.  In fact, it would be best to take your computer completely offline before launching TS3.  If you play through Origin, you can sign in and then put Origin in offline mode before disconnecting.

If the house split works, you should use "save as" to rename the save (so you have a backup), quit, clear your cache files, and reload, at which point you should be able to play foreward.  If the split doesn't work, you can try the same steps described above, except using a backup save.  Even if you don't have one, the game automatically keeps the files from the second to last time you saved.  Go into Documents\EA\TS3\Saves and look for a folder with your save name and a .backup extension.  So if your save is called SunsetValley, the folder for your current save would be SunsetValley.sims3, and the backup would be SunsetValley.sims3.backup.  Delete the .backup extension and rename the folder (i.e. SunsetValley1.sims3), and it will be available to load from the Main Menu.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 11 (1,877 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Okay I'll see of that'll work. Thank you.

Message 3 of 11 (1,867 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Okay... that didn't work but I figured out what to do based on the other thread. I used my backup save to get a earlier point before I sold the axe. Apparently that really is still an issue they never bothered to fix after 9 years because once I just put the stupid thing in my family inventory instead of selling it, It worked just fine.

But now this is worrisome on a long term level because now I have to keep this thing around and never sell because if I do... more than likely this moving glitch will happen over and over again.

Message 4 of 11 (1,855 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Either way, thanks for trying to help. I spent 4 hours trying to find a solution after I sold the axe and was just lucky the backup was made just BEFORE I sold it. 

Message 5 of 11 (1,852 Views)

@hunnypooh1  Is there a reason you can't keep it in one of the treasure chests you buy in WA vacation worlds?  That's where I put my sims' tomb-raiding supplies when they're home.  If you don't have a spare chest lying around, you can purchase one in buydebug.  (Bring up the cheats console with crtl-shift-c and enter "testingcheatsenabled true" without quotes, then "buydebug on" without quotes, and click on the ? icon in buy mode.  Be sure to turn off cheats when you're done: "buydebug off," then "testingcheatsenabled false.")

It's still a good idea to have the axe around, even if you never use it, because the Chinese tomb where you found it won't spawn another copy, even if one of your sims is in the middle of the relevant quest.

Message 6 of 11 (1,848 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I tried that. I can keep it in the box for the time being, but the moving didn't become unstuck until I took it out and then put it in the family inventory. My problem is this is a permanent issue that the patchers didn't think to fix.

Message 7 of 11 (1,836 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I haven't looked back at this in years.. I love TS3 the most, but I had so many crashes and gaming issues that I can't bear to try and build another family line again because I know I'll lose them. The problems still continued even when I freshly installed the game on a brand new gaming laptop. So sad.

Message 8 of 11 (1,831 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Gemiprose  There are all sorts of reasons why TS3 wouldn't run well on a new computer, including both insufficient hardware and a graphics card that's much stronger than what the game was built to handle.  (Great, right?   But at least the second one can be addressed.)  There are also issues with certain worlds, the unavoidable ~3.7 GB RAM limit, and, as Hunnypooh1 found out, a massive pile of glitches that were never addressed.  (I use mods for these, so I don't even know about many of these).

If you're ever interested in trying to get it running again, you can post a dxdiag of your computer, along with a list of the packs you own.  I can tell you how well you could expect TS3 to run on your system, as well as any steps you'd need to take to help.  Most of the game's issues are addressable in one way or another; many of us still play and have a generally very good experience.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 9 of 11 (1,823 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Dude I just got a gaming laptop where with my lester older computer the problem was just the game lagging, freezing, and crashing every other hour.

Now the main problem with my specs high as all get out is figure out how to deal with in game glitches.

Message 10 of 11 (1,816 Views)