Re: Mac El Capitan Sims 3 graphics completely f'ed, utterly useless. What do?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Mac El Capitan Sims 3 graphics completely f'ed, utterly useless. What do?

★★★ Newbie

Haven't played for a while so re-installed my game through origin on my early '15 mac book pro. So far I have found out online that since my computer came out after the game, the game doesn't support my graphics card. Based on this information, I guess it's safe to assume that this is what is causing the unplayability of the game. I'm attaching a couple of screenshots to demonstrate. I haven't found any threads touching on this specific subject. I wonder if anyone knows a work-around? 

When hitting the family creation, I'm usually able to create a sim halfway through, before the game starts losing some very valuable information. I have to guesstimate where things are because the options are no longer visible. By default, I am never able to create a second sim fully. If I somehow manage to, then I won't be able to create family relations, let alone save. 

I noticed today that I can build a house without many issues, but if I change the graphics settings from extremely low(horrible quality) to anything different, the screen goes pretty much completely white. 

I've had this game on this same computer many times before as I've re-installed it over the years. I remember similar issues before, however never to this extent. Could the newest game update be a cause of issue? 

I'd be ever so grateful for any help on the matter. Thank you so much in advance! 

Message 1 of 5 (893 Views)

@omnemo  You might have an issue with custom content, or another corrupt file somewhere in your TS3 game folder.  See how CAS works in a clean game folder: pull your existing one out of Documents and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a new one will spawn.  If CAS and Build/Buy now work correctly, then you're fine.

If this doesn't help, please copy and paste the first 40 or so lines of your deviceconfig, which you'll find inside your game folder.  You can stop when you get to the list of game options.  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that identifies you.  If your game doesn't launch at all with the clean folder for some reason, you can copy the deviceconfig from the old folder.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (881 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi @puzzlezaddict, thank you for your reply! 

I recently reset my computer to factory settings, so I shouldn't have any mod content around anymore. I also just installed the game, so realistically it should be "clean". 

I pulled out CasThumbnails.package, was this the file you meant? There's also another called CASPartCache.package, but these two are the only ones I can find that have the "CAS" in them. 

Pulling the Thumbnails one out didn't do anything good, on the contrary the game crashed completely 10 minutes in to creating a sim and I had to restart my computer. So in a word it got worse. Was this the wrong file? Should I put it back in? 

Also I didn't mention before that I kee getting this message about my game crashing unexpectedly. This happens when I launch the game. It doesn't really bother me as the game still runs and I just press okay and move on with my life. Could this be part of the issue? 

Here's the deviceconfig you asked for: 

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 1 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2700 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 3200 RAM: 8190 Adjusted RAM: 7678 Cores: 2
=== Machine info ===
OS version: MacOS 10.11.6
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 10
OS minor ver: 11
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 0
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5257U CPU @ 2.70GHz
Family: 6
Model: 13
Cores: 2
HT: 1
x64: 0
Memory: 8190MB
Free memory: 4408MB
User: sofi
Computer: Sofi-MBP.fritz.box
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Name (database): Intel Iris Graphics 6100 [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 162b, Board: 00000000, Chipset: 0000
Driver: display, Version: 0.10.0.11360, GUID: 40C1B248-9D7D-4A29-D7B7-4CD8109F3D5D
Driver version: 11360
Monitor: DISPLAY
Texture memory: 1536MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

Message 3 of 5 (867 Views)

@omnemo  One thing jumps out to me right away: your graphics card isn't recognized by the game.  Did you try to fix the issue already?  Because from the [Found: 0, Matched: 1] in your deviceconfig, your graphicsrules edit went fine, but your graphicscards edit did not, or else you haven't done it yet.  You can download the proper text to add to the file from here:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesconfirmed

Just click on the link for the 6100, read the instructions, and add the graphicscards text.  This may help, since your GPU currently has the lowest rating.

The other issue is that your Sims 3 game folder may have a corrupt file.  Rather than experimenting with deleting individual files, it's easier to drag the entire folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts.  A clean folder will spawn when you launch the game.  If CAS works better in that folder, just leave it in place and play forward.  It's best to do this after you've confirmed that the graphicscards.sgr edit has worked; you'll know when you see a [Found: 1, Matched: 1] in your deviceconfig.

When you play, it's best if you don't open any other apps at the same time.  Even Origin doesn't need to be running; just launch the game from Applications.  Your computer will handle the game better if it's the only program demanding any attention.

Message 4 of 5 (854 Views)

@omnemo  I've moved your thread to the Sims/mac section.  Please let me know if you still need help, especially with the .sgr edits.

Message 5 of 5 (740 Views)