Re: I've installed Sims 3 University Life, from Origin, but my launcher doesn't play it.

by caspinwall

Original Post

[MAC] I've installed Sims 3 University Life, from Origin, but my launcher doesn't play it.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I just bought the Sims Generations and Sims University and I own a CD copy of The Sims 3 and Supernatural. I'm working from a Macbook Pro. I've installed and reinstalled all of the mentioned games. Everytime I click on the University icon, it opens Supernatural. In my launcher at the bottom where it shows all the games, it says "Requires the Sims 3 University Life". When I try to play from origin, the University icon shows up briefly, then disappears.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10 (3,677 Views)

Re: I've installed Sims 3 University Life, from Origin, but my launcher doesn't play it.

★★★ Newbie

and now my uninstaller won't work...

Message 2 of 10 (3,649 Views)

★★ Novice

I am having the same problem

Message 3 of 10 (3,628 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi,

The game should launch from the most recent EP in terms of release date. In your case this would be University.  The fact that Angel it is showing Supernatural when you try to play and (b) Uni Life isn't indicated in the Launcher as being installed, I'd say the installation of University has failed.

The first thing to check is that your Mac is sufficiently up-to-date to be able to run the Origin client. It requires at least OS X 10.6.8 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.

To download and install games through Origin:

First install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there.

For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

Caspin

Message 4 of 10 (3,621 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the exact same problem as you although mine says that it is not compatible with my the sims 3 but I've got all of the updates?! so confused.

Message 5 of 10 (3,570 Views)

Champion (Retired)
It is fairly common when installing an expansion pack for the game to say something about it being incompatible. This is often because your base game is patched right up to date, while the expansion requires only a lower level. Ignoring the error message usually means that you can still go ahead and install.
Message 6 of 10 (3,566 Views)

★ Novice

Hi, I have a similar problem except that it's with a disc version of Seasons, and a digital download of University Life. I have a Mac. Would it work to just uninstall the University Life EP, to try to reinstall it,  as I have no way to reinstall all of my other EPs or even the base game. (I just recently moved and have not brought them with me across the country yet.) Also, how would I do that? Just drag the UL application to the trash? 

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10 (3,495 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi,

For properly uninstalling, here is the best guide: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

However if you follow the guide, you would need access to your discs or game codes in order to reinstall the game.

You can try to uninstall just University Life. Go into Applications on your Mac and look in the folder called “The Sims 3”. This is the location from which your game actually launches (as opposed to a similarly named folder within Documents, which is where your saves and other data are stored). In the folder in Applications you will see the shortcut icons for the base game as well as any expansions or stuff packs installed. If you can see the icon for Uni Life, try right clicking on it and this should give you the option to show the original file. You can move the original files to the trash from there. This may allow you to commence a re-download from Origin. (Many thanks go to Tremayne from TS3 Mac forum for this suggestion.)

Caspin

Message 8 of 10 (3,479 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks. Unfortunately, it still didn't work. I think it just must go to Seasons as the default since I have that disc. This is only the second time I tried an online download, think I'll stick to the hard copies from here on out. 

Message 9 of 10 (3,456 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hello again,

It is meant to be possible to use a combination of disc and digital downloads, but doing so seems to increase the chances of Origin misbehaving.  

Hope you manage to get it all sorted.

Caspin

Message 10 of 10 (3,449 Views)