[MAC] Can't Play Sims 3

by amb3rlynn95

Original Post

[MAC] Can't Play Sims 3

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

My Macbook pros disc driver is completely messed up. So i proceeded to try a digital download of sims. its not playing at all. I also can't reinstall my base game or expansion packs on a new computer because my vertification code has already been use.

im extremely irritated at this point.

Message 1 of 2 (153 Views)

Re: [MAC] Can't Play Sims 3

Champion (Retired)

@amb3rlynn95 wrote:

My Macbook pros disc driver is completely messed up. So i proceeded to try a digital download of sims. its not playing at all. I also can't reinstall my base game or expansion packs on a new computer because my vertification code has already been use.

im extremely irritated at this point.

Hi

If you previously had a disc-version installed on your Mac book then you need to do a very thorough clean uninstallation before trying to install the digital download version. There is also a specific way to download from Origin that seems to reduce the chance of corrupted files. I have posted detailed instructions below.

If you are having trouble installing your games due to the codes already being used, you will probably have to contact EA customer services to see if they can deregister some earlier uses of the codes to give you more chances.

Caspin

Clean uninstall/reinstall instructions

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

To download and install games through Origin

Download and install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. If you already have Origin on your Mac but are having problems with downloading or installing games, delete the client and download a new copy (this sometimes fixes issues with downloading). The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there. For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Are you running anti-virus software or any clean-up applications? If so, disable these, as they might be deleting files that Origin needs. A fast, stable internet connection will also help you.

Storing Origin download installer files:

If you are going to change your computer, or just need to uninstall/reinstall your game, you may wish to set your preferences in Origin to save your installers. This will avoid you needing to re-download the games again.

In Origin, go to Preferences. Choose “Advanced” and look in the section entitled “Game Installers”. Tick the box to “Keep game installers after games have been installed”. Choose a location in which you would like the files to be saved (for example, create a folder in Documents ready to receive these files).

Message 2 of 2 (141 Views)