Re: High CPU usuage in Sims 3?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

[ Edited ]

@graceymanors  Okay, I'd expect there to be a setting somewhere, unless the feature was pullled entirely.  (It came with the Creator's Update that caused so much trouble, so that wouldn't be surprising).  But I can't boot into Windows right now to look around.  And I agree, this isn't worth poking around in the registry.

Edit: (Sorry, I got called away and then didn't refresh the page before posting).  If you still want to troubleshoot, I'm happy to keep trying different approaches.  70% is much better, but you might still be able to improve.  Just let me know.

So, in the meantime, I'm curious if you ever took steps to get your graphics card formally recognized.  Another helpful player pointed out to me that the processor will carry more of a load with a weaker card, and while yours is more than strong enough for all of TS3, the game might not think so.  And windowed mode is easier on your hardware than fullscreen, so that would also explain why the CPU usage dropped.  The relevant data is the Ratings Info category in the deviceconfig.  You can just copy and paste those two lines here, if you want.

Also, for the sake of getting a good benchmark, could you list your CPU use for both fullscreen and windowed mode, playing entirely offline, with a new save in a vanilla folder?  The person I want to talk to about this is great with Windows but doesn't know a whole lot about Sims games, so it would be helpful information to have.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 21 of 29 (1,221 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

You mean by editing the sgr files and such, yeah I did that a while back.

Right now I'm playing in game and my CPU is running at 64%, and that is with my browser open.

It seems to have helped quite a bit.Right now for the moment, the only time I see it at 100% or 70 is when its starting up/game is loading.I assume that's normal?

Sure, let's continue to trouble shoot.

Message 22 of 29 (1,214 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

https://pastebin.com/p2gH2kJ9

Here is my Device config information for you.

I have the game using my Nvidia 1050 ti, in fact I have it used globally.

Let me go test the game offline and in vanilla mode.

Message 23 of 29 (1,205 Views)

[ Edited ]

@graceymanors  It's certainly normal to see spikes when loading a save, or when the launcher and game are briefly open at the same time.  It's still surprising that CPU use would hit 100% though, even under those circumstances.  What do you see if you only have TS3 open, while you're completely offline?  I ask because some browsers (cough Chrome cough) are notorious resource hogs.  And do you still see a drop when you're in windowed mode compared to fullscreen, or did the fullscreen optimization take care of that?

And you're right, your deviceconfig shows no issues.  It's a bit weird that the texture memory is still listed as an override, but I don't think that would make much of a difference.  If I had to guess, I'd guess there was a missing hashtag or space in the relevant line in graphicsrules, but it's probably not a big deal.  If you want to fix it though, here's what it should look like:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
seti textureMemory 2047
# setb textureMemorySizeOK false

(with the second and third lines indented with spaces, of course)

Message 24 of 29 (1,200 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I am gonna go try that now, I just got done eating dinner.I'm backing up my save file.

Igazor had me edit my texture when he was helping me fix my Device config.

Message 25 of 29 (1,188 Views)

★★★ Guide

Untitled.png

Here is a screenshot of my CPU with a vanilla folder(no mods, no store content) completely offline.And no chrome running.

Message 26 of 29 (1,182 Views)

@graceymanors  Okay, that looks more normal.  TS3 can only use two of your four cores at once, so the usage on those two cores will he higher than if the load were distributed more evenly.

If you want a breakdown of how your processor is performing, you can download and run hwinfo.  It will list use and temperatures for your CPU and most of your other hardware.  (Since we're talking about a potentially overtaxed procesor, it's a good idea to get some temp readings, just to be careful.)  Download the portable version (the green button), unzip it, and run it, sensors only.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Once you open it, click the logging button at the bottom of the window, let it run for a few minutes, and then launch TS3.  Load a new save, open CAS and Build/Buy for a few minutes each, then quit and end logging.  You can upload the info to a filesharing site and link it here.

Message 27 of 29 (1,175 Views)

★★★ Guide

I use core temp to

monitor the temp it gets to about 70 on sims 3 and sims 4 is 75 however my fans are due or a cleaning which is probably

part of that issue and I live in a hot climate but I have a cooling pad and a big fan blowing on it

Message 28 of 29 (1,167 Views)

★★★ Guide

Thanks for providing that link for turning off the screen optimization, that has drastically improved my gameplay!

Message 29 of 29 (1,154 Views)