Re: High CPU usuage in Sims 3?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★★★ Guide

On Sims 4, CPU usage gets to about 40% however Sims 4 makes my laptop very very hot.

Ha! Yeah I was like omg all my work and everything.I have copies of my files somewhere on a USB but I stuck somewhere I don't know.I'm back in my laptop, but since I system restored everything is back on.

Message 11 of 29 (1,353 Views)

@graceymanors  Okay, this is the long route, but you can try disabling just the other features (not Microsoft Services) on startup inteaad, to see if it helps.  Here's how:

https://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

Actually, one other thing I was wondering about was whether it made a difference to play in fullscreen or windowed mode.  You might want to test this first, just to see, since it's so much easier.  And in windowed mode, you can see the Task Manager without minimizing the game.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 29 (1,350 Views)

★★★ Guide

I will give both of those a go.

Message 13 of 29 (1,342 Views)

★★★ Guide

It is better in WIndows mode, It runs at 63% compared to 100%(kind of hoping this wasn't the case though, as window mode bugs me lol)

Message 14 of 29 (1,339 Views)
Highlighted

@graceymanors  If windowed mode turns out to be the solution, you could always try Windowed Borderless.  It still has the disadvantage of disabling edge scrolling, but at least you get the fullscreen view.  But that was more of a test, anyway.  The fact that your CPU usage is down significantly is good information to have.

Message 15 of 29 (1,322 Views)

★★★ Guide

I don't like having the edge scroll off its annoying,

but I guess its good to know.The disabling the tasks though, however didn't help with the full screen.

Message 16 of 29 (1,304 Views)

@graceymanors  I understand why you wouldn't want to play in windowed mode, but the fact that your CPU usage dropped suggested the issue might be related to, or exacerbated by, fullscreen mode.  So here's another suggestion: try disabling fullscreen optimization, if you currently have it enabled.  It can be a useful feature, but it doesn't always play nicely with older games.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104080-enable-disable-fullscreen-optimizations-windows-10-a.html

If that doesn't work, let me know.  I've asked for advice from someone who's much better with Windows than I am, so he may have ideas as well.

Message 17 of 29 (7,433 Views)

★★★ Guide

I will definitely try that tonight.Thanks

Message 18 of 29 (1,291 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I don't have the option to change the display settings like that.

Edit: There's no advanced graphics settings, and under advanced display settings there's no full screen options.

I don't want to mess with registry stuff like the 3rd option says because I don't know anything about that.

Message 19 of 29 (1,280 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I did a little googling from that link and found that I could disable full optimization from right clicking on icon.I did that, and it seems to have helped, the game isn't stuttering as bad.Its still reaching 70% CPU usage, but its much more tolerable!

Message 20 of 29 (1,275 Views)