Re: High CPU usuage in Sims 3?

by graceymanors

Original Post

Accepted Solution

High CPU usuage in Sims 3?

★★★ Guide

This has been an issue for me for a few months now, and no matter what I do, it doesn't fix anything.
I have tried.

--Uninstalling Custom content/mods
--Lowering the settings down
--closing unnecessary background apps/browsers.
--Updating the laptop
--freeing up disk space.
--capping my FPS and turning on v-sync
--using a program like turbo booster.
--tried different worlds, different saves
--tried repairing game(though I know this does absolutely nothing)
--tried a vanilla folder

-turned of microsoft game mode

None of these have worked.Not sure what else I could try.

Image of my task bar

Untitled.png

This image doesn't show 100% because as soon as I minimize the game, it drops quickly down to 10% and I'm not quick enoughto get the 100% screenshot.

Igazor suggested turning off windows 10 game mode which I did and to no avail, so it was suggested to cross post over here.

Thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17043944#Comment_17043944

Dxdiag: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fpastebin.com%2FNaANkTnA

Message 1 of 29 (6,353 Views)

Accepted Solution

@graceymanors  I understand why you wouldn't want to play in windowed mode, but the fact that your CPU usage dropped suggested the issue might be related to, or exacerbated by, fullscreen mode.  So here's another suggestion: try disabling fullscreen optimization, if you currently have it enabled.  It can be a useful feature, but it doesn't always play nicely with older games.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104080-enable-disable-fullscreen-optimizations-windows-10-a.html

If that doesn't work, let me know.  I've asked for advice from someone who's much better with Windows than I am, so he may have ideas as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 17 of 29 (7,548 Views)

All Replies

@graceymanors  I read through the thread, and I'll try not to repeat anything already said.  So first, can you start with a clean boot?  Open the game and Origin, nothing else (except your fps limiter if it needs to be running), and see what the CPU usage looks like.  Be sure to go entirely offline before launching as well, just to be thorough.

https://www.howtogeek.com/393698/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows/

Also, just out of curiosity is this an issue with TS4?  The games are programmed differently, but they do have EA in common, after all.

Message 2 of 29 (6,332 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

No this is an issue with Sims 3, not 4.I gave up on 4.:/

I will try that clean boot and see what it runs.

Edit: I never login using the launcher, as that just slows my game down,

the hidden object game is disabled and game mode on windows 10 is now disabled.

computer updated its firmware tonight along with the graphics card and still no improvement.

Message 3 of 29 (6,324 Views)

★★★ Guide

I can’t get into my laptop now the password won’t work!’

Message 4 of 29 (6,318 Views)

★★★ Guide

I followed the clean boot and now I can’t login into computer!!’

Message 5 of 29 (6,317 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide

This was a bad idea I’m totally sol I have no access

Message 6 of 29 (6,305 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

The Omg 😔 I lost my computer doing that someone please help!

Message 7 of 29 (6,300 Views)

@graceymanors  I don't know why exactly this happened, but you didn't lose your computer entirely.  There are definitely ways to recover your system.  For example:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-login-to-pc-after-clean-boot-mistake/2d9b...

I'm looking for a way to do this that doesn't involve having or creating your own Windows 10 installation medium, but this is not an intractable problem by any means.

Message 8 of 29 (6,289 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

My laptop doesn't have a disk drive on it, so I can't create anything or use disks.

Ugh, I managed to get it back by hard booting it multiple times and restoring it.

Whatever happened, it took away my Pin number which is what I use, I don't use a password.

:/ I had a heart attack there, sorry for freaking out, but my old laptop just doesn't have my work files and everything on it.

Unfortunately, I lost updates here.

I'm afraid to try that again.Maybe I disabled something I shouldn't have.

Edit: Thank you for the link, I was able to follow that from my phone and got it back.

Whatever I did, it took away the pin number and sign in options.And trying to google on phone isn't easy.

Mini heart attack.Embarrassed

Message 9 of 29 (6,288 Views)

@graceymanors  It's totally understandable why you'd freak out; I think i had the same reaction the first time it happened to me.

So where are you now?  You're back into your laptop, of course, but I take it you haven't tried launching TS3 after a clean boot.  If you do want to try, it looks like the issue is with turning off Microsoft Services.  You can disable everything else and leave that on when you clean boot, if you want.

For future reference, if you have a USB 3.0 or 3.1 and a port on each laptop, you could create your own Windows 10 installation medium from that.  It's easy enough to do these days—you download a tool from Microsoft, follow the simple instructions, and let the tool do its thing.  Hopefully it won't come to that, but it wouldn't be all that complicated.

By the way, I was asking about TS4 because I wondered if the same issue was present in both games.  But there's no reason you need to test; I was just curious.

Message 10 of 29 (6,261 Views)