Re: Getting the game to fit properly in windowed mode?

by AlHollandiyah

Original Post

Getting the game to fit properly in windowed mode?

★★ Guide

I prefer playing all of my games in fullscreened windowed mode. TS4 has a very well working proper setting for that but TS3 does not. You can set TS3 up in different window sizes, one of them being 1600x900 which is exactly my screen size, IF the game were full screen. However, with the taskbar and the border taking some pixels away you can imagine 1600x900 not fitting, and that shows with the game being partly outside of the screen. I can fix it by switching the graphics to fullscreen and then pressing the X in the do you want to keep these settings popup, but I have to do that every single time the game launches! Is there a way (or mod?) to make it fit by default? This is very annoying!!

Message 1 of 4 (437 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@AlHollandiyah  Please post your computer's dxdiag - link - how to post your computer's dxdiag  and attach the file to the paper clip in the lower right of the response box.   thank you

Message 2 of 4 (427 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I understand that one of the first steps to many issues is finding out a computers specs, so in that sense I understand why you are asking for a dxdiag, but this seems to be a general settings issue in which my specs aren't relevant.

The Sims 4 has an option for "Windowed Fullscreen" which automatically fills the whole screen, from side to side, from top to the beginning of the taskbar. The Sims 3 has a number of settings in it's dropdown menu, which are all exact screen resolutions. If you pick any of them, in my case 1600x900, it will make the sims not fullscreen but still 1600x900.

However, with the taskbar that windows always has, no non-fullscreen app can ever be 900 high without being partially covered by that taskbar. And sometimes when it is fit to the correct height (which is somewhat around 850, I'm not sure how much exactly) then it jumps to not filling the whole width of the screen in an attempt to keep the width and height in proportion.

So what I am really looking for is a way to set up the game to use that whole screen, side to side, top to taskbar, without ending up partially covered by the taskbar. Is there any way I can do that? In game? Editing a config file? Maybe a mod that you know of, if there is no way to make the app work with windows properly without that? Thanks!

Message 3 of 4 (400 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@AlHollandiyah  "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes  Please post your computer's dxdiag so we can eliminate the obvious. As the video system in your computer is unknown anything is guess work. Did you try auto hide of the taskbar?

Message 4 of 4 (392 Views)