Re: Game crashes when moving in household, have tried everything

by StishStash

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game crashes when moving in household, have tried everything

★★★ Novice

So far I haven't found a fix for this yet.

My game has recently started crashing when trying to move in families. No message or anything just straight to desktop. I read that this could be an issue with custom content, so i deleted the two custom files that I installed before this problem started. No dice. I would try running the game without custom content but I'm afraid that will screw up my game because all of my saves have custom content and I don't want my saves removed either.

Every answer I've come across has been not helpful at all or is outdated or doesn't even apply to my current situation.

Is there a different way to solve this problem?

Message 1 of 3 (291 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@StishStash  I don't know what you've tried so far, but I can suggest a few basic troubleshooting steps.  It would also be helpful to know whether this happens in only one ongoing game or in any save you try, and if it occurs all the time or just in certain circumstances.

Did you clear the five cache files after installing and uninstalling the cc?  (For reference, those files are CASPartCache.package, compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, simCompositorCache.package, and socialCache.package.  The .package extension may or may not show, depending on your user settings.)  These files should be deleted regularly and will respawn the next time you load the game.

If the problem only occurs in one long-running save, it might be that the save is corrupt, or perhaps just so overloaded that running it demands too much from the game engine.  Edit Town is very resource-intensive, and staying in it for too long can push the game over its ~3.5 GB RAM limit.  You can check the RAM usage in the Task Manager on a PC, and if it goes over 3.5 GB, that's probably the source of the crashing.  (On a mac, the limit is 2 GB and therefore much more easily reached; playing in mac OS requires a different conversation.)

Since the problem started happening after you added cc, it might be that your TS3 game folder is corrupted. You can drag the entire thing out of Documents and onto your desktop; when you launch the game again, a fresh, clean folder will spawn with no content.  If you can play in this folder and move families into houses without any crashing, you can start transferring your saves and other content from into it from your old folder, a bit at a time.  When the crashing starts up again, you'll know what the problem was.  But it's entirely possible that this clean folder will solve your issues.  (If you don't want to mess up your ongoing games, you don't have to save your progress once you're sure that things are running properly.  You can also keep copies of your saves elsewhere while you test your other content.)

If you still have issues, please describe the circumstances in which this problem occurs, as well as the steps you've already tried to solve it.  It would be a good idea to run a dxdiag and attach it to a post using the paper clip icon.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-PC-Only/m-p/1049584/thread-id/47181

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (293 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@StishStash  I don't know what you've tried so far, but I can suggest a few basic troubleshooting steps.  It would also be helpful to know whether this happens in only one ongoing game or in any save you try, and if it occurs all the time or just in certain circumstances.

Did you clear the five cache files after installing and uninstalling the cc?  (For reference, those files are CASPartCache.package, compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, simCompositorCache.package, and socialCache.package.  The .package extension may or may not show, depending on your user settings.)  These files should be deleted regularly and will respawn the next time you load the game.

If the problem only occurs in one long-running save, it might be that the save is corrupt, or perhaps just so overloaded that running it demands too much from the game engine.  Edit Town is very resource-intensive, and staying in it for too long can push the game over its ~3.5 GB RAM limit.  You can check the RAM usage in the Task Manager on a PC, and if it goes over 3.5 GB, that's probably the source of the crashing.  (On a mac, the limit is 2 GB and therefore much more easily reached; playing in mac OS requires a different conversation.)

Since the problem started happening after you added cc, it might be that your TS3 game folder is corrupted. You can drag the entire thing out of Documents and onto your desktop; when you launch the game again, a fresh, clean folder will spawn with no content.  If you can play in this folder and move families into houses without any crashing, you can start transferring your saves and other content from into it from your old folder, a bit at a time.  When the crashing starts up again, you'll know what the problem was.  But it's entirely possible that this clean folder will solve your issues.  (If you don't want to mess up your ongoing games, you don't have to save your progress once you're sure that things are running properly.  You can also keep copies of your saves elsewhere while you test your other content.)

If you still have issues, please describe the circumstances in which this problem occurs, as well as the steps you've already tried to solve it.  It would be a good idea to run a dxdiag and attach it to a post using the paper clip icon.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-PC-Only/m-p/1049584/thread-id/47181

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (294 Views)

★★★ Novice

Replacing the folder worked perfectly, I also managed to clear out quite a bit of cc that was slowing down my game (none of which I was really gonna use anyway so...) This was super helpful!

Message 3 of 3 (260 Views)