[FAQ] Lost and broken DVDs and missing serial codes - What to do ?

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: [FAQ] Lost and broken DVDs and missing serial codes - What to do ?

★★★ Newbie

I was going to try the trick with finding the codes of my old laptop that I do have, and where I had ALL my expansions and packs installed. But the laptop in question is completely utterly dead, it will not react at all when I try to start it up. I don't know where any of my cases or discs are as it's been many years since my last purchase of a physical copy of the game (think last time was the Pets expansion in like 2012, so go figure...) I'm at my wits end as this loss means I can not install Pets expansion (and I think, Generations), I'm missing my 70's-90's pack, high-end loft pack and I really just don't know what to do. It doesn't feel right to have to pay full price for these things again as they aren't cheap by any means, especially not the expansions. For some reason I did not register all the games on my profile, guess because the website has always been moody and an outright pain in the backside so I avoided it for the longest of times. These days I only use Origin as I no longer have a DVD on laptop anyways. I'm searching high and low at home for my physical copies, but finding them is worse than trying to find a needle in a haystack... Receipt is impossible to find as well considering the amount of time that has passed since I purchased my physical copies of the game, I mean, we're talking at least about 7 years since my purchase of Pets, so there's just not a chance in the universe to find it. 

Should I really have to just bite the lemon and re-purchase my missing things directly from Origin? Frown

Message 91 of 98 (1,282 Views)

@bendyjenn  I understand that your laptop is dead, but could you find someone to extract the hard drive (simple) and comb through the registry for the TS3 codes?  I've never done this myself, so I don't know how it would go, but there's a possibility you could find the codes and add them to your account.

The other option is to wait for a sale.  Origin offers TS3 at a discount occasionally, and so does Steam.  In fact, during most Steam sales, the base game and packs are only $5 each.  (There's also often a bundle with the base game and Pets for $7.50.)  The catch is that you do need to buy the base game as well in Steam, but that would still be cheaper than paying full price via Origin.  Steam provides a CD key for each purchase, which you can register in Origin the same way you would for a disc copy.

I don't know when the next Steam sale is going to be, but there has almost always been one in June or July.  So if you can wait a couple of months, you can save some money.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 92 of 98 (1,276 Views)

★ Novice

Well, I’m trying to get the sims 3 late night CD key so I can transfer the DLC to another gaming app. And when I right click sims 3 I can only get the sims 3 key, and also when I use the sims3.com it just takes me to the origin store. What do I do I need help!

Message 93 of 98 (1,117 Views)

@JaspaNewton  If Late Night is already on your Origin account, then you don't need the key to download it via Origin on whatever device you want.

If you're looking to transfer your key to Steam, that's not possible: Steam doesn't accept keys from Origin or disc copies of Sims 3.

Message 94 of 98 (1,102 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The end of this answer says that if you can prove you own the game, they'll give you a new Code. How do you prove you own the game? I bought my game in maybe 2010 and the live chat representative I talked to is telling me that, without the Code being registered, they can't give me the Code or any replacement Code. I'm just really frustrated and confused.

Message 95 of 98 (960 Views)

@uenkkrytvx  Do you still have the code, and can you register it now?  The code is printed on the back of the insert that comes inside the case.  Or, if you have access to a computer where the game was installed at some point, you may still be able to find the code there.

Windows:  https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/09/how-to-find-your-serial-number.html

macOS:  https://bluebellflora.com/finding-your-serial-key-using-terminal/

Message 96 of 98 (953 Views)

★ Guide

I can confirm that contacting costumer support on this is a waste of time (45min in my case). They are so restricted when it comes to handing out a new code. I've spent 5min on booting up my decade old laptop and extracting the key, despite having zero computer knowledge. Doing so will be your best bet.

Message 97 of 98 (586 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

CM Edit: English on the English boards please. 

Message 98 of 98 (318 Views)