Re: Cursed! Quest is not being completed?

by BrieannEMiller

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Cursed! Quest is not being completed?

★★★★ Novice

Heyo,

Okay, my sim got cursed by a mummy, so took this chance to go to Al Simhara and take up the Cursed! quest. I did all I was supposed to do: plead to the Sphinx first, go through the maze, and at the end ask for a cleansing. I completed the tomb....but the quest I have is saying or not showing that I should report to the sim I got the quest from even though in it's description says to do so.... but it never gives me the go to do so. I'm stumped, is this a glitch maybe? I don't want to give up on the quest just yet if there's a way to fix it. Help is much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 10 (1,356 Views)

Accepted Solution

@BrieannEMiller  It's best to add ErrorTrap as well, for additional save data cleanup.  Make sure that you get the version that matches your install and patch level; there are separate versions for Origin/1.69, disc/1.67 (or Origin/mac OS), and Steam/1.67.

If you still have the save where your sim completed the tomb but couldn't report in, you could use MasterController to reset the sim who gave the opportunity.  Click on the base camp icon in Map View and select NRaas > MC > Advanced > Reset Sim > (X) to get rid of the filters, and find that sim on the list.  You can also use MC > Basic > Invite Over to force them to show up afterwards; see if you can now report in.

If you don't have that save, or the MC reset doesn't help, you can reset the Sphinx lot by clicking on the ground or its map tag and selecting NRaas > MC > Reset Lot.  It's best to do this while your sim is elsewhere, since all sims on the lot will be reset as well.

If the lot reset doesn't work alone, you can cancel the opportunity, reset the lot again, and then use NRaas > MC > Basic > Opportunity: By Category > Adventures (or whatever category corresponds to them) to reassign the quest.

Finally, if nothing is cooperating, you can click on the base camp map tag and select NRaas > MC > Town Options > Reset Everything to reset the entire world.  It's best to cancel the opportunity first and then reassign it later.  If you don't want your own sim reset, go to NRaas > MC > Settings and set "include active lot in reset everything" (or words to that effect) to false.

And it's always a good idea to quit after one of these resets, clear your caches, and then reload to see if it worked.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (1,252 Views)

All Replies

@BrieannEMiller  I take it the quest lists talking to the sim as the next step, it just doesn't give you a button to press?  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)  Can you see a star on the map where the sim is currently?  What about if you look at that sim directly, or invite them over?  Can you click on the sim and select "report in"?  I sometimes have to track the other sim down, but I can usually direct my own sim to report manually.

The other possibility is that the sim who assigned the quest is unavailable in some way.  Maybe they died, or the game removed them, or it's just being buggy.  In that case, I'd revert to a previous save if you have one and try again.  Sometimes an opportunity can break for no apparent reason.

Message 2 of 10 (1,339 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Ah, okay. I'm gonna try and fix those and see if it helps. Thank you.

Message 3 of 10 (1,311 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Okay, I went to my back up save and tried to do it all over again. You remember when you go downstairs the first time and go through a hallway. As you walk through it all turns purple and unlocks the door? Now for some reason, it only turns purple partway and the door now will not unlock. I quit without saving and tried to do it again, but it gets stuck at the purple hallway. It worked fine before. Now I'm lost. :/

Message 4 of 10 (1,304 Views)

@BrieannEMiller  So then there was no way to report in to the sim who assigned the quest?  That's too bad.  Glitchiness like this is, unfortunately, not all that uncommon.

Honestly, this is the kind of thing that made me install mods years ago.  I don't know if the mods I use specifically repair anything about this quest, or if they simply make bugs and glitches less common (which they definitely do).  They certainly make resetting and retrying opportunities much easier.

But if you don't want to go the mod route, I'd stay with that backup save, cancel the opportunity, and try to get it back again before you go anywhere near the Sphinx.  (It may take a day for the offer to reappear.)  If the same sim is offering the quest, you might want to reset that sim first, before accepting an opportunity.  Go to Edit Town, find where the sim lives, evict the household, and move it back in.  This fixes a lot of issues with inactive sims, although it's not completely foolproof.  (Also, it may mess with the ages of the sims in that household.  At least, that happened to me once.)

The other useful reset is of the Sphinx tomb itself.  I've never tried this, but you can go to Edit Town, save the lot to the bin, bulldoze it, and replace it with its bin copy.  Again, it's probably better to make sure you're in a position to quit without saving if necessary.  But this should reset the entire lot, hopefully allowing you to avoid whatever glitch you're now seeing.

And while you're troubleshooting, be sure to delete the five cache files in your game folder in Documents each time you quit.  They should be deleted regularly even in the absence of game issues, but especially now, you'll want to get rid of the stale data that's accumulated in the files.  They regenerate each time you load the game.  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

Message 5 of 10 (1,294 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I do have mods, I'm just not well verse on it.

I have tried to reset everything. Even copying, bulldozing, and replacing the tomb. 

I deleted my caches.

Issue with the sims is that it's been a different sim every time so I don't know if its that.

I've done all those and it still won't.

Message 6 of 10 (1,286 Views)

@BrieannEMiller  If you have NRaas mods, specifically MasterController, there's a much easier way to try to reset things.  I can walk you through how to do it, if you want.  ErrorTrap, Overwatch, and Traveler would also be useful in this circumstance (and in general), but you don't have to know how to use them—they take care of things in the background without any direction from the player.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what else to suggest, unfortunately.

Message 7 of 10 (1,277 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I do have MasterController and Overwatch.
Message 8 of 10 (1,256 Views)

@BrieannEMiller  It's best to add ErrorTrap as well, for additional save data cleanup.  Make sure that you get the version that matches your install and patch level; there are separate versions for Origin/1.69, disc/1.67 (or Origin/mac OS), and Steam/1.67.

If you still have the save where your sim completed the tomb but couldn't report in, you could use MasterController to reset the sim who gave the opportunity.  Click on the base camp icon in Map View and select NRaas > MC > Advanced > Reset Sim > (X) to get rid of the filters, and find that sim on the list.  You can also use MC > Basic > Invite Over to force them to show up afterwards; see if you can now report in.

If you don't have that save, or the MC reset doesn't help, you can reset the Sphinx lot by clicking on the ground or its map tag and selecting NRaas > MC > Reset Lot.  It's best to do this while your sim is elsewhere, since all sims on the lot will be reset as well.

If the lot reset doesn't work alone, you can cancel the opportunity, reset the lot again, and then use NRaas > MC > Basic > Opportunity: By Category > Adventures (or whatever category corresponds to them) to reassign the quest.

Finally, if nothing is cooperating, you can click on the base camp map tag and select NRaas > MC > Town Options > Reset Everything to reset the entire world.  It's best to cancel the opportunity first and then reassign it later.  If you don't want your own sim reset, go to NRaas > MC > Settings and set "include active lot in reset everything" (or words to that effect) to false.

And it's always a good idea to quit after one of these resets, clear your caches, and then reload to see if it worked.

Message 9 of 10 (1,253 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Finally, it has worked for me after doing NRaas > MC > Town Options > Reset Everything and clearing my caches. Thank you so much!
Message 10 of 10 (1,236 Views)