Re: Can't redeem online version of the game from old disc

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Can't redeem online version of the game from old disc

★ Novice

I have almost alle the sims 3 packs. Yesterday I installed them on my new PC after years without playing. This meat that origin took over all installation control (expansions I installed with disc does not work with the origin version of the main game, which I ended up having due to updates). Then i used the insallation codes to redeem the digital version of the packs, however this didn't work for the 4 oldes of the packs, here it says that the code is already used. Those 4 games were registered on the sims 3 website when i got them, and on an account i simply cannot acces anymore (forgot e-mail and passwork). I have tried to get through to support, but it is simply not possible to do. I got a chat that does not connect and 10 min waiting in a phonecall with someone who can't speak enlish. Is it possible to send an actual e-mail to support (not that useless chat)? or get any help to recover my codes? 

Message 1 of 4 (340 Views)

@Hirahay  Codes can only be used once, even if you're the original owner; there's no way for you to add them to a second account.  However you approach the issue, the bottom line is that you'll need to prove to EA customer support that you own the store account to which your packs were registered; then you can ask support to merge that account with your current one.  You can use either the call or live chat options—the availability of the call option will depend on the business hours in the country you're calling.

If you still have your TS3 game folder on your old computer (or stored somewhere else), you may be able to find out which email you used for your store account.  In Downloads inside the game folder (the full path would normally be Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads), there may be a file labeled [your email].bin.  If you can recover access to this email, you can request that support send you a confirmation code with which you can prove ownership of the account.

Otherwise, you'll need to provide proof of purchase of the discs—receipts; photos of the discs, cases, and inserts with codes printed on them; that kind of thing.  There's an Accoount Recovery Form you can try using, although I'm not sure whether you have enough information to fill it out.

http://help.ea.com/account-recovery/web-form

By the way, you're only forced to let Origin control a disc install if your base game disc requires it, i.e. if it was manufactured September 2012 or later.  (These discs tend to have a banner across the top saying "go social" or something like that, and they say Origin is required for installation.)  Otherwise, you can simply decline the offer to allow the EA Download Manager to control the install process, and keep Origin out of the picture altogether.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (333 Views)

★ Novice
My disc is the original form 2009, but when i try to install world adventures I get a message to update, that gives me the latest version and origin takes over.
But thank you for the reply, I will try to find the mail with the method you mentioned, but I believe that i just made up an e-mail back in the day (didn't really think about account recovery at the time).
Message 3 of 4 (328 Views)

@Hirahay  In case you don't get anywhere with support, here's how to install via disc, without any Origin involvement:

• Uninstall the entire game, and clean your computer's registry either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.
  • Uninstall Origin, just for good measure.
  • Download the Super Patch (this is the direct download link to EA servers).
  • Take your computer completely offline.
  • When you start installing the TS3 base game, you will receive an offer to allow the EA Download Manager to control the install process.  Say no.  The EADM will do everything it can to "update" itself to Origin.
  • After installing, run the Super Patch on the base game.
  • Launch the game, to verify that it's working.  If it is, you can start installing your packs.  Again, it's better to do so while offline, just to be safe.

If you're offered updates for your packs through the launcher (the first time you play while online), you can accept them; the launcher won't patch you to 1.69.  But Origin will, if it detects your install.  Make sure that automatic Origin and game updates are disabled.  To see the options, hover over your username and select Application Settings.  Under Application (the first tab), scroll to Client Update and disable everything.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (325 Views)