Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

After updating graphics driver, Sims 3 will not successfuly change resolutions

by ooojane

Original Post

Accepted Solution

After updating graphics driver, Sims 3 will not successfuly change resolutions

★★★★ Novice

I am playing on a lenovo laptop, i7, intel graphics hd 4000.  Before yesterday, I was able to play sims 3 fine for about 2 weeks. I had no problems whatsover. Then yesterday when I tried to open the game, I had an error message that said I needed to update my graphics driver. So I did that, and now I am not able to open sims 3 correctly. It would open and have like a little window on the top left corner of my screen, and it would be unresponsive. So then I set it to play sims 3 in windows 7 compatability mode and ran it as administrator. So now it opens fine, except the resolution is the default 1280x600. I try to switch it to my native resolution (1600x900), but it will mess up, and eventually go back to the default resolution. I don't understand why the game all of a sudden made me update my drivers to be able to play it, when it was playing just fine before the update. Now its all bad.

Please help. This is frustrating. I also tried editing the graphicrules.srg to make default resolution 1600x900, but it still does not work!! I did that on all the expansions too. 

Message 1 of 4 (929 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: After updating graphics driver, Sims 3 will not successfuly change resolutions

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I found my solution. Since at first I couldn't rollback my driver, I did this:

1. Go to Control Panel --> Device Manager --> Display Adapter

2. Then I clicked the Intel HD 4000 adapter, clicked "Update driver"

3. Clicked " Browse my computer for driver"  --> then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

4. Then instead of using intel's driver, click "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

Now it works fine! I think the drivers are incompatible with windows 8. I had to do the same thing with Windows 8.1 on my desktop for my wifi adapter. Instead of working with the company's driver, I had to use microsoft's basic driver.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (1,156 Views)

All Replies

Re: After updating graphics driver, Sims 3 will not successfuly change resolutions

★★★★ Novice

Help please?

Message 2 of 4 (926 Views)

Hero (Retired)

dunno if this will work but in the electronicsarts/thesims3 there is an options file open that find the resolution in the list then type in what your resolution is and the frps  for example mine is resolution = 1280 1024 60  so yours should be resolution = 1600 900 60 ( i don't know what your refresh rate is as you didn't say so i'll assume it's 60 which is about average  )  close the file you'll then be asked to save or don't save so tick save

Message 3 of 4 (923 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I found my solution. Since at first I couldn't rollback my driver, I did this:

1. Go to Control Panel --> Device Manager --> Display Adapter

2. Then I clicked the Intel HD 4000 adapter, clicked "Update driver"

3. Clicked " Browse my computer for driver"  --> then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

4. Then instead of using intel's driver, click "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

Now it works fine! I think the drivers are incompatible with windows 8. I had to do the same thing with Windows 8.1 on my desktop for my wifi adapter. Instead of working with the company's driver, I had to use microsoft's basic driver.

Message 4 of 4 (1,157 Views)
sims-four-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

fifa-19-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help