After updating graphics driver, Sims 3 will not successfuly change resolutions

by ooojane

Original Post

Accepted Solution

After updating graphics driver, Sims 3 will not successfuly change resolutions

★★★ Novice

I am playing on a lenovo laptop, i7, intel graphics hd 4000.  Before yesterday, I was able to play sims 3 fine for about 2 weeks. I had no problems whatsover. Then yesterday when I tried to open the game, I had an error message that said I needed to update my graphics driver. So I did that, and now I am not able to open sims 3 correctly. It would open and have like a little window on the top left corner of my screen, and it would be unresponsive. So then I set it to play sims 3 in windows 7 compatability mode and ran it as administrator. So now it opens fine, except the resolution is the default 1280x600. I try to switch it to my native resolution (1600x900), but it will mess up, and eventually go back to the default resolution. I don't understand why the game all of a sudden made me update my drivers to be able to play it, when it was playing just fine before the update. Now its all bad.

Please help. This is frustrating. I also tried editing the graphicrules.srg to make default resolution 1600x900, but it still does not work!! I did that on all the expansions too. 

Message 1 of 4 (2,254 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: After updating graphics driver, Sims 3 will not successfuly change resolutions

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I found my solution. Since at first I couldn't rollback my driver, I did this:

1. Go to Control Panel --> Device Manager --> Display Adapter

2. Then I clicked the Intel HD 4000 adapter, clicked "Update driver"

3. Clicked " Browse my computer for driver"  --> then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

4. Then instead of using intel's driver, click "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

Now it works fine! I think the drivers are incompatible with windows 8. I had to do the same thing with Windows 8.1 on my desktop for my wifi adapter. Instead of working with the company's driver, I had to use microsoft's basic driver.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (2,478 Views)

All Replies

Re: After updating graphics driver, Sims 3 will not successfuly change resolutions

★★★ Novice

Help please?

Message 2 of 4 (2,248 Views)

Hero (Retired)

dunno if this will work but in the electronicsarts/thesims3 there is an options file open that find the resolution in the list then type in what your resolution is and the frps  for example mine is resolution = 1280 1024 60  so yours should be resolution = 1600 900 60 ( i don't know what your refresh rate is as you didn't say so i'll assume it's 60 which is about average  )  close the file you'll then be asked to save or don't save so tick save

Message 3 of 4 (2,245 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I found my solution. Since at first I couldn't rollback my driver, I did this:

1. Go to Control Panel --> Device Manager --> Display Adapter

2. Then I clicked the Intel HD 4000 adapter, clicked "Update driver"

3. Clicked " Browse my computer for driver"  --> then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

4. Then instead of using intel's driver, click "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

Now it works fine! I think the drivers are incompatible with windows 8. I had to do the same thing with Windows 8.1 on my desktop for my wifi adapter. Instead of working with the company's driver, I had to use microsoft's basic driver.

Message 4 of 4 (2,479 Views)