Re: ACCESS_VIOLATION in d3d9.dll (Steam)

by igazor

Original Post

ACCESS_VIOLATION in d3d9.dll (Steam)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi,
the game is constantly crashing when I'm playing (Windows 10 64 Bit).
The log says:

App path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe

type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xeb5b592d

address: 0x62b09096 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll":0x0001:0x00118096

[Call stack]

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll

0x62b09096

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe

0x0060ef46

[Instruction data]

62b09016 => DasmX86Dll.dll not found.

Someone on the Steam Forum said:

The d3d9.dll error if recurring usually indicates that either DirectX 9 needs to be reinstalled or there is a broken alias (shortcut) to it in the game files that needs to be resolved. I wouldn't know if this is a Steam install specific issue although others on various versions of Windows get this too.
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/47890/discussions/0/1743356517523372339/

I already installed DirectX 9. How can I repair the broken alias?
Furthermore, I used memtest, to test my RAM...

Message 1 of 5 (1,352 Views)

Betreff: ACCESS_VIOLATION in d3d9.dll (Steam)

Hi @VincentVanVegan

I moved your topic to the English-speaking forum

/Liz

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims Freeplay.. ❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Meine Sims 4 Geschichten und Kreationen 

Message 2 of 5 (1,317 Views)

@VincentVanVegan  I believe what the "someone" on the Steam forums is saying is that after installing (or reinstalling) DirectX 9, there may be a leftover alias in TS3's program files pointing to the old version, or to nowhere.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure exactly which alias needs to be replaced.  This is what my DirectX folder looks like inside the program files:

DirectX folder.png

Does it look the same for you, both in terms of the files present and their sizes?  My best guess would be that running DXSETUP should repair the issue.  Other than that, I have to admit I'm not quite wrapping my head around this issue; maybe it's the late hour.  Perhaps @roberta591 will be able to give you better guidance, or I can ask around in a few hours.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 5 (1,304 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@VincentVanVegan  Windows 10 will not work with a DirectX 9 download. Windows 10 comes with DirectX 12 and is backwards compatible to previous versions of DirectX. What is the version of your game - lower left in the launcher? Does dxdiag run with out error? Are your video drivers up to date? Do you have expansion packs?

Message 4 of 5 (1,289 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

The OP is on a Steam install, therefore their patch level is 1.67.

By the way, I am the "someone" who tried to explain what the error was and suggested they post over here. Sorry that I couldn't provide a more complete solution at the time. But I note that since then another helper on the Steam forums also suggested running the DXSETUP from within the game's program files just as puzzlezaddict did. If that really doesn't do the trick or if Win 10 remains unhappy with that, I think we'll have to leave things in roberta591's capable hands.

Message 5 of 5 (1,286 Views)