Re: 'A serious error has occurred'

by ombradellarosa

Original Post

'A serious error has occurred'

★★★ Newbie

Whenever I try to load a family on my game, a message pops up saying 'A serious error has occurred while loading 'SunsetValley5.sims3'. It is strongly recommended that you restart the application.' I've restarted it but nothing happened. I bought the game through Origin and I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it multiple times but I keep getting the same error. Confusedmileysad:

Message 1 of 28 (47,990 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello jessjed,

You could try the following:

• "Find the sims 3 saves folder usually in Documents/Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3/ Saves. Find the most recent sims3file.
  • Then find the one that is a sims3.backup file.
  • Change the name of the most recent one to Sunset Valley.sims3.bad and then rename the backup to Sunset Valley.sims3 (no period after sims3).
  • Whenever you play the game make sure to use "save as" (just number them, 1, 2, 3 etc) instead of save and be sure to save often.

If this still doesn't work, then you'll probably have to do a clean install. Do you have any mods or CC installed?

Welcome! Take the time to discover the community by visiting our Answer HQ Announcements section
Message 2 of 28 (47,822 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've already tried that and it didn't work Frown

No, I don't have any mods or CC.

Thanks for your help. Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 3 of 28 (47,818 Views)

Hero

Here's a few tips on the issue: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Load_Issues

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 28 (47,813 Views)

'An Serious Error Has Occurred' Problem

★★★ Newbie

Hey, if your reading this to help, I should probably thank you in advance.

Yesterday, I tried to get on the Sims 3, and noticed the game I saved called 'Family' was not there. I thought I knew how to fix the problem, so I closed the game, went to Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3>Saves and changed the name Family.backup.sims3 to jus Family.sims3 and started up the game again. Good news, or so I thought. When I loaded it, it got to the halfway mark and the screen went black, with a blue error box. It said: 'A serious error has occurred while loading 'Family.sims3'. IT's is strongly reccomended you restart the applictation" So, I did restart it, and the same thing happened. I tried loading another game -- same thing.

Now, I hear some people saying I have to patch my game with the latest patch, but the Sims launcher says nothing about it under the 'Game Updates section', so I don't know... Someone said to delete the four caches at the bottom of the file, uninstall CC, but I just wanted to know what the best or 'right' solution is. Please, if you can, help. IT would be much appreciated.

Details: I also, just recently bought the Sims 3 Supernatural off of Origin. It seems the problems have started when I got this.

Message 5 of 28 (47,801 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I would like to know how I do a 'clean' install please?

I have the same problem- everytime I try to create a new family or load a previously created one I get the 'serious error' message. If I move to desktop or delete the Electronic Arts folder from my documents I can create a new family but once I save and then quit I have the exact same error when I try to load that family. It seems like an error is being caused when I save the game. And it used to work perfectly fine on this computer which is only 1 year old. I have no mods (don't even really know what a mod is) I don't have any custom content. I am currently using Showtime expansion (not buying Supernatural until this is fixed).

I have tried a *lot* of solutions on forums online to no avail, including changing the name of the save file with the backup file etc., using an 'unlocking' program to unlock any files, uninstalling and reinstalling my latest expansion ( I only reinstalled all of my games very recently because of a different glitch and would rather not have to again), turning off McAfee firewall and real time scanning, -pause game- save game- then quit rather than -save and quit-, deleting all cache files in electronic arts folder, deleting all files in currentgame.sims3 (when not playing game), changing DEP settings, changing game to compatibility mode. I even downloaded a registry cleaner but it wanted me to pay money before it would actually do anything so I removed it. The only options left is for me to defrag the computer tonight and try uninstalling and reinstalling all of my games. 

Specs
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell N5110
Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Installed memory: 4GB
64-bit Operating System

I have 265GB free space on C: drive

Message 6 of 28 (47,749 Views)

Hero

Here's instructions for a clean uninstall: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 28 (47,745 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

I've done a clean uninstall, I've done everything on this list, nothing is working.

Message 8 of 28 (47,502 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Im having this same exact problem. My girlfriend has the game we both got it a few days ago, it works fine for her, i get the serious error loading whenever I attempt to load the game. I have tried everything. EA is no help. What could possibly be the cause for this.

I have an  

Alienware M17x R4

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3840QM CPU @ 2.80GHz

16 GB of Ram

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M

She has a basic laptop with 4 GB of ram an Intel I5 with integrated graphics

Message 9 of 28 (47,160 Views)

★ Novice

Same. I'm fretting here, because I am so scared.

I just witnessed my other computer breaking down,

So I got a new one, and downloaded all of my expansions back, and download new CC.

Well, randomly this morning it started acting up on me with 'A serious error has occurred etc,'

I really want to get my game back.

So, (I am about to try this)

----METHOD ONE------

1. Restart your computer, even if you already have.

2. Go on Origin and look at your games.

3. If you have no expanisons, or CC please scroll for the 2nd method.

4. When it lists all your expanisions, click on one that you don't often use, or the Base Game.

5. If you have no CC on the Base Game and you did, serious glitches will error, this will not help you, get more help. AND DO NOT PUSH PLAY!!!!

6. If your CC is still on the Base Game, push play.

7. Wait for your game to load and try pushing Make Copy of Game/file.

8. Push it and click on the Copy.

9. Wait for it to load, if the same error occurs, try the other copy. Let it load, same thing happens you'll have to delete all CC and re install all expanisons. Including deleting games, probably.

||2ND METHOD||

1. Restart your computer, even if you already have.

2. Go on Origin and look at your games.

3. Since you have no CC or expanisions, go ahead and push play.

4. Let your game load.

5. Make a copy of the game.

6. Push play on the copy.

7. Same thing showing up? Click the check mark and click the other copy.

8. Still happening? Try reinstalling it.

9. After step 8 push play on the same game.

10. If it STILL won't work, you'll probably have to delete ALL of your games on your game, BUT,

11. DO NOT DELETE THEM YET! Try making a new game.

12. Skip to step 13 if you could make a new game. If it didn't work still, don't delete your games. Your file has been corrupted Confusedmileysad:. I didn't help much for you, if you are still willing to save your games, try getting more help, BUT DON'T DELETE your games! (Sorry if I didn't help for you).

13. Down at the bottom, click Choose HouseHold.

14. Gather your family and place them back in town, IF YOU DIDN'T DELETE THE GAMES, it should work perfectly, your family saved.

15. If it didn't work on either methods, Sorry! I am still having the same problem, about to do these methods myself.

Message 10 of 28 (44,254 Views)