$1 charges on my account

by Sweetie_Nikki2

Original Post

Accepted Solution

$1 charges on my account

★★★ Newbie
I tried to purchase The Sims 3 Showtime today since they were having that sale. However, it said that it could not verify my debit card so I left it alone and forgot about it. Later on I went to check my debit card online through my bank and found a bunch of $1 withdrawals done by www.ea.com. If my card could not be verified, why was there money taken out of my account and what was the money taken for?
Message 1 of 9 (12,243 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: $1 charges on my account

Hero (Retired)

Cards carrying the Visa and MasterCard logo all require retailers to institute the $1-hold process and most also include debit cards. The charge is a preauthorization that provides a way for your credit card company to verify the card is valid before allowing you to use it when the amount of the full charge is not yet certain.

The $1.00 is temporary.

View in thread

Message 3 of 9 (13,188 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Apprentice

You should try to contact or call suport for this problem.

For the money that was taken try to look on the history of purchase, you should see where it gone.

Message 2 of 9 (12,208 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Cards carrying the Visa and MasterCard logo all require retailers to institute the $1-hold process and most also include debit cards. The charge is a preauthorization that provides a way for your credit card company to verify the card is valid before allowing you to use it when the amount of the full charge is not yet certain.

The $1.00 is temporary.

Message 3 of 9 (13,189 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It Is still not letting me add my debit card/ credit card. ME and my girlfriend both tried and it just wont let us add the card and buy the games we want to buy 

Message 4 of 9 (9,668 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@MysticLavender  What kind of card are you trying (a debit card OR credit card they are different)?  I go to one store and they say they don't take debit cards so I use a major bank debit card and it appears debit (not credit) but then again a charge is a debit. I rarely use a credit card any more. There are bankless debit cards coming on the market now. Credit unions are issuing cards. First thing I have to ask is the card good (I have to ask)? Have you checked with the financial institution backing the card (the phone number on the back)? Most transactions try a test debit to verify the account. This is standard. This will tell the seller if the account is active and open to accept a transaction. This test transaction needs to be confirmed or it will go away usually in 24hr. I have various accounts because I have a business and rental property and a personal account. All operate a little different. I think (not positive) that EA uses a third party to process financial transactions. I'm guessing this institution would be responsible for bad transactions. This could possibly mean stricter rules for processing a transaction. I usually use a major national bank debit card and and rarely have issues and it's usually my miss understanding of how the card works (test transactions, automatic debits by "clubs", etc.) and these have been corrected with a phone call.

Are the card(s) backed by a major national bank?

Have you verified the account is good with the number on the back of the card?

Can you see a test transaction on your account online?

I don't think EA CS can tell you anything other then there was a failure due to security issues.

Another thing I have experienced is if you don't use a card within the companies timelines with a 0 balance they will suspend the card (which I think sucks because when you need it the card doesn't work) this has happened to me a few times. I usually carry a card that I know is good as a fall back (you know the ones with a high interest rates). Right now I have a couple that probably won't work because I haven't used them in over a year. Their loss.

hth

Message 5 of 9 (9,656 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My card can only be used 10 times for online purchases and after ONE purchase, my card gets maxed out! It's frustrating and nobody answers a phone there! 

Message 6 of 9 (9,576 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@divasundae  There is a way a vendor (or the company that handles the transaction) can submit a transaction and it will show pending. If the vendor (or company that handles the transaction) cancels the pending transaction THAT transaction never existed. I suggest you call the company (financial institution) to explain this procedure. I have been through this multiple times. Some vendors used to do a $.01 charge to verify the account but I don't think this is done so much anymore. There are now companies that handle the transaction for the vendor for a fee. If this is an issue for the card you use I strongly suggest you get a better card. I resisted debit cards when they were becoming popular - now I rarely have money in my wallet. I just be careful when I use them. There are several prepaid cards - free if you have a direct deposit. Is the "used 10 times for online purchases" for a 24 hour period? I really think you need to to talk to your card company or get a new card? Unless you have really poor credit there are many offers out there.

Message 7 of 9 (9,569 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I want my packs that I am willing to pay for but I try to pay and it says my card cannot be verified and charged me a dollar i don’t know what I’m suppose to do. 

Message 8 of 9 (2,475 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Ladi7474, please do not reopen old threads as it does not give visibility to your problem. In this case, I ask you to create a new thread with all the details of your problem so that we can help you. That said, I will close this 2013 thread to avoid confusion.

Abril.

EA_AbrilAHQ

Star Si te gustan los comentarios de otros jugadores, por favor dales XP. 

Star Si alguien te ha ayudado y solucionado tu problema, por favor acéptalo como una solución. Wink

Star Si un post necesita moderación o fusión, reporta el post y le echaremos un vistazo. Thinking

Message 9 of 9 (2,438 Views)