Original Post

READ FIRST! (TSTO) Bugs: How to Report them on AHQ

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
Bugs Kent.PNG

"I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords"
- Kent Brockmen

Hi Tappers, 

Bugs...Kent Brockman might be all for them but no Tapper enjoys them and neither do we!

If you'd like to flag a potential bug with us on AHQ, bug reports are the way to go. Bug reports help us to compile information, better track bugs and communicate any available updates to our AHQ Tappers. Standard smile

Use this guide to learn more about bugs and how to report them on Answers HQ!  

Index

- EA_Lanna

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 1 of 4 (13,577 Views)

Re: [TSTO] Bugs: How to Report them on AHQ

Community Manager

What is a Bug?

Good question!

• Bugs are unintended behaviors/issues with the game build. Bugs can appear as glitches or as features not functioning as they should (e.g.: like if the in-game inventory wouldn't open, or if you couldn't collect event items as intended, etc).
  • Technical issues happen due to a software or hardware issue. Technical issues include things like connectivity issues (disconnects or slow loading times), crashing, etc. When technical issues happen, often times a bit of troubleshooting can help everything sync up again and make things right as rain. Standard smile 

Sometimes it's not super obvious if something is a bug or a technical issue. For example, missing buttons or crackling sounds are both issues that could be the result of a coding error with the game but more often than not they tend to be the result of a syncing issue on the devices side (could also be due to old hardware or if you're like me, a damaged phone...butter fingers over here.😅) So...how to suss out if you have actually a bug on your hands? 

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 2 of 4 (13,561 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

How do I know if it's a bug and not a technical issue?

Sometimes it can be hard to figure out if something is a bug, working as intended or is an issue that's cropped up due to technical shenanigans. 😅 To get to the bottom of things, we need to eliminate some potential causes as a result.  

Before troubleshooting: 

• Jot down your Mayhem ID: Here's how you can do that.

• Back up your game savesIf the app gets deleted, you lose your device, or your device gets reset, so we recommend backing it up before troubleshooting just in case. This means you can save and recover your content and game if something happens. You can link your game even after you’ve been playing for a while, and you won’t have to start over or lose any progress.

Then, follow these steps to rule out some causes: 

• Make sure your app is updated: Check the Apple Store / Google Play Store for any pending updates for both the store itself or the TSTO app. Pending updates should appear in your list of available updates but just in case you may need to search Tapped Out in your app store.

• Troubleshoot: There are a handful of steps to run through real quick to help rule out some technical issues. Click on the thread that matches your device: Troubleshooting steps for iOS apps Troubleshooting steps for Android.

These steps should resolve most technical issues. If the issue persists though, you may have a bug on your hands.

Message 3 of 4 (13,560 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

How to make a Bug Report on Answers HQ?

So the troubleshooting isn't having any effect, your game is up-to-date and your device meets minimum requirements? You may have a bug on your hands. 

If you think it's a game bug and would like to flag it to us here on Answers HQ, here's how to make a bug report:

1. Check for existing threads. Use the search function to do a key word search. You may find an existing thread has already reported your issue which you can join in on. Did you know that there is a "Me Too" under every opening post? This helps us see how many members are also experiencing that issue. Hit that "Me Too" button on existing bug report threads that flag bugs you're encountering too. 

2. Create a new thread: If there wasn't an existing thread active flagging the bug, feel free to pop open a new thread using the 'New topic' button.
    NEw topic.jpg

3. Fill out the bug template: Copy this bug report template into the text window and fill it out. *Limit a bug report to one issue at a time. Open a new thread if there's other bugs you'd like to flag.

• Device make, model, and firmware:
    • Time and Date of the Issue:
    • Description of issue:
    • What should happen instead:
    • Stage of Event does this happen at:
    • Error Message received:
    • Repro Steps:
    • Troubleshooting/Workarounds tried:
    • Additional (screenshots/clips, etc):

(Click on the spoiler tag to view an example of a bug report)

Spoiler

This is what a post would look like after copy/pasting in the bug template and filling out the categories:

@EA_Lanna wrote:

Thread title: <Event Name> - Part 2 - <Brief bug description>

Hi, 

I'm running into issues with Part 2 of the new mini event. I've filled out the bug template below after trying the troubleshooting steps. 

• Device make, model, and firmware: iPad 8th gen, iOS 15.4.
    • Time and Date of the Issue: 11 am UTC, 1st Jan, 2022
    • Description of issue: I complete the task following the instructions but it doesn't let me complete the quest
    • What should happen instead: The quest should complete once I collected 10 of the items
    • Stage of Event does this happen at: Part 2 of Act 1
    • Error Message received: No error message
    • Repro Steps: Try to complete the quest by collecting all the items
    • Troubleshooting/Workarounds tried: I performed all the steps listed in this EA help article Troubleshooting steps for iOS apps
    • Additional (screenshots/clips, etc): Attached a screenshot of my inventory with the items collected and a screenshot of the task instructions.

I've seen a few other people having the same issue, could you check this out please and patch it? Thanks.

Bonus! To add any screenshots to your report, it's best to upload your pictures or images directly to Answers HQ as sometimes images can be removed on some third party site.
        There are two options to add pictures

1. Use Attach file at the bottom.
    2. Select the picture icon in the bar and then upload it.

TSTO add files.pics.jpg 

Message 4 of 4 (13,559 Views)