Re: Can't Get Carl or Lenny to Work Harder

by wadebear

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't Get Carl or Lenny to Work Harder

★★ Novice

In my Task Ribbon (or whatever you call it) on the left-hand side is Homer and when I tap him, I get 3 choices: 2 are to make Carl and Lenny work harder, one is to make Homer look busy (which is done).  When I tap either Carl or Lenny, I get a pop-up for The Springfield Buddhist Temple which is in shadow and locked up.  I can't find out how to start this particular quest (forget what it's called), how to find and get Carl or Lenny or what I missed to put me in this dilemma.  Can somebody tell me if there is anything I can do to resolve this and/or what I have to wait for to happen before I can complete this task?  It's bothering me to no end!  Thank you!

Message 1 of 10 (1,308 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Wow, wadebear, thanks!  That explains a lot about the Buddha quest itself, however, just not what sets it off, you know what I mean?  What has to be done beforehand that would allow you to start that quest?  That's what I was afraid I missed, and why I jokingly asked for a "Quest Catalog" which, by the way, wasn't directed at you or any of the responders in particular; I really meant it for any EA development people who might be reading these posts--the ones who put the game together.  But it was really a joke.  I mean, unless some OCD gamer has dedicated themselves to putting such a catalog together....?

At any rateHomer, along with that undo-able task, seems to have disappeared from my task bar now, so I'm going to accept that I'll just have to wait, like you said, and see what happens.  Time to go to the next question on my list.  Once again, thanks for your help.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (1,327 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

That's the Task Book.  If you tap the notebook at the base Homer will say "Task book closed".  Tap it again and Homer says "Task book opened".

Carl and Lenny come with the Buddhist Temple, which you get to buy at level 27.  So you can't progress on that quest until you reach level 27.

Message 2 of 10 (1,296 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm already on Level 29.  Sorry, I should have mentioned that.  

Are you suggesting I should just close the task book so it won't bother me?

I don't understand.

Message 3 of 10 (1,284 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mentalgirl12 wrote:

I'm already on Level 29.  Sorry, I should have mentioned that.  

Are you suggesting I should just close the task book so it won't bother me?

I don't understand.

No, I was assuming you hadn't reached level 27 yet.

Now I'm not understanding.  Have you not built the Buddhist Temple yet?  Or maybe not finished other required quests with Carl and/or Lenny?

Message 4 of 10 (1,270 Views)

★★ Novice

​OK, sorry—I must not be explaining myself very well. No, I have not built the Buddhist Temple because, as I said, it is locked. Yet when I tap on Homer in my taskbar it says “Make Lenny/Carl work harder” When I tap “Do it” I get taken to “Build the Buddhist Temple” which, I reiterate, is locked. Underneath it says “Start the Buddha’s Got Back, Pt. 1 Quest” Where might I find this—or any, for that matter—quest? Do you have a Quest Catalog hidden somewhere? (You should.)

And as far as I know, I have no Carl or Lenny to slave-drive anyway. Where might I find them? I looked in the Characters Section in the Store, but they aren’t there. So, my frustration is that I don’t know how to accomplish this task. Now and then I see tasks that I missed that I knew nothing about, and which apparently cannot be made up unless I give away all my donuts and my first-born child. (That’s a joke.) I always want to know how I missed these tasks and quests. Did I go too slow? What???

So if someone could please tell me what I’m supposed to do here, I’d be much obliged.

Thx.

Message 5 of 10 (1,242 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It's been a while since I did the Budhest Temple, so I can't remember if it was given to us, or if I purchased it with donuts. Go to your items for purchase and see if Budhest Temple is there to purchase. If it is, then you need to purchase it before you can get Lenny or Carl (and eventually complete all the associated tasks). Once Lenny and Carl are unlocked as characters in your town, only then can you get them to do a task associated with any other quest. This goes for all characters--until you unlock them by purchasing them or their associated building (or have them given to us), you can never use them for any other quests.

If the Budhest Temple was given to us and you never completed the tasks to unlock the characters and quests at that time, and if it is no longer along the left hand task bar for you to complete, you may be out of luck now.  If it is still on your task bar, finish the quests.

Hopefully it is in items to purchase, rather than given to us. Then you still have the opportunity to get it with donuts.  I hope I understood your question properly, and my answer helps you. 

Message 6 of 10 (1,234 Views)

★★ Novice

I understand what you're trying to tell me, and it makes sense that it should be that way.  But the Buddhist Temple is locked when I go there, so there is no way for me to purchase that.  Somehow I think it's one of those tasks that's crossed by other things I've been completing and made undo-able, which has happened before.  I guess it's another glitch of the game--whether I'll be able to finish it or not remains to be seen.  Thanks for trying to help. At least I don't think I missed anything I was supposed to do.

Message 7 of 10 (1,213 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@mentalgirl12 wrote:

Do you have a Quest Catalog hidden somewhere? (You should.)

Apparently you're under the mistaken impression that we are customer support representatives.  We're just other players trying to help out.

Carl and Lenny come with the Buddhist Temple.  Here is what I found on Google:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tapped Out Walkthrough: Level 27

Rev. Lovejoy Starts things off

Buddha’s Got Back Pt. 1
After Tapping Lovejoy

Rev. Lovejoy: Ah, Lisa Simpson!  You wanted to speak to me about a spiritual crisis.  Perhaps you’ve come to hear a humble ‘I told you so’.
Lisa: Actually, I’m trying to find meaning in this world of daily drudgery.
Reverend Lovejoy: All you need to do is trust in the wisdom of the Almighty Finger. I mean, God.
Lisa: Actually, Springfield exploded and then returned. I’ve been thinking this might be proof of the Buddhist concept of Samsara –
Reverend Lovejoy: Oh Lord. Is this another conversation where you convince me Buddha was just a chubby Jesus?
Build the Springfield Buddhist Temple-24 hour build
Keep Lisa free when complete
New Character Unlock! (note: this is where you get Carl and Lenny)
Little Miss Mantra
After Tapping Lisa

Lisa: Now that the Buddhist Temple is back, I can continue on my quest toward spiritual enlightenment.
Marge: Oh, honey, can’t you just go to normal church with the rest of us? I don’t want us all to end up in different heavens.
Homer: Eh, let her go, Marge. The boy’s not going to be there anyway – it’ll be nice for you and me to have some alone time.
Lisa: Thanks, Dad…I guess.
Make Lisa Meditate30 minutes

Buddha’s Got Back Pt. 2
After tapping Lenny

Lenny: Wow, we suffered a fiery nuclear death and now we’re reborn!  I guess the Buddhist theory of reincarnation is right.
Carl: Yeah. And we came back as ourselves. Boy, we must’ve really screwed up last time.
Lenny: But we did everything right. Gave to the poor. Helped old ladies cross the street. Made sure our magazines were, at the minimum, barely legal. I was hoping to be reincarnated as you.
Carl: I don’t understand it either. We need to go someplace where we can contemplate the mysteries of our existence.
Make Lenny Drink At Moe’s- 8hrs
Make Carl Drink At Moe’s-
8hrs
Keep Moe Free when complete

Buddha’s Got Back Pt. 3
After tapping Moe

Moe: It’s great to have my closest friends back.  Now, settle your tab before I stab out your lungs.
Lenny: But Moe, all our money burned up in the explosions.
Moe: So did my bar tabs… but I still expect you to pay them!
Homer: If you need money, you guys should get your old jobs back at the plant.  Then you can cover for me when I’m never there.
Send Lenny to do a Plant Shift- 16hrs
Send Carl to do a Plant Shift-
16hrs
Auto starts when you send them on the Plant Shift
Smithers: Thank you both for reporting to work.  Unfortunately, with so few people in this town, and my recent raise, we only have enough money to pay one of you.
Lenny: Only one? Well, then I say give the job to Carl.
Carl: I say give the job to me as well.
Lenny: Hey! I thought you were going to do that thing where you say no, give him the job, and then we argue over something good.
Carl: Nope. Did that thing where I just take it.
And Lenny and Carl begin their plant shift – but only Carl will get paid (16 hours – Lenny and Carl will begin the next part)
With that they both start their plant shift, but only Carl will get paid for it.
Lenny starts the next part

Buddha’s Got Back Pt. 4
After tapping Lenny

Lenny: Guess I have to rely on my fallback teaching job.  Good thing I’m an expert on how to chew tobacco
Carl: I knew you’d bounce back.  Speaking of bouncing and this that have back, I have a date with your sister.
Build the Adult Education Annex- 24hr build
Make Carl Date Lenny’s Sister– 1hr
Make Lenny Teach Class on Chewing Tabacco– 1hr
Lenny starts next part

Lenny’s Downfall Pt. 1
After tapping Lenny

Lenny: I forgot that my fallback teaching job is unpaid.  Guess I gotta go to my fall back fallback job: being a best-selling novelist
Make Lenny Work on his Mystery Novel– 12hours

Lenny’s Downfall Pt. 2
After tapping Lenny

Lenny: One paragraph down.  Seven-thousand, six-hundred, and forty-two more to go.  Writing always puts me in the mood to grab a beer and not write.  Whaddaya say we go to Moe’s Carl?                                             Oh, right—Carl and Moe’s are both out of my life.  Well, I can’t just sit around feeling sorry for myself.  I’m going to WALK and feel sorry for myself.
Make Lenny Mope– 24hrs

Lenny’s Downfall Pt. 3
After tapping Lenny

Lenny: Hi, is there a problem officer?
Wiggum: There sure is.  For starters, it is illegal to kick a can in the town of Springfield.
Lenny: But that law is outdated.  It was in Season 16!
Wiggum: Also, you jay-walked back there, you don’t have a license for those suspenders, and you just talked back to a police officer.  Strike four!
Make Lenny Go in for Questioning– 8hrs
Snake: What a relief.  Now that criminal is off the streets, I can go out and rob people.
Keep Quimby free when complete

Lenny’s Downfall Pt. 4
After tapping Quimby

Quimby: Since there are no, er-um, judges or lawyers yet in our city, your punishment is up to me.  First question, have you ever donated to my campaign?
Lenny: No. I don’t have a job or any money.
Mayor Quimby: That’s terrible. But at least I can offer you a place to eat and rest.
Make Lenny Serve Time-24hrs
Keep Mr. Burns and Carl free when complete

Carl’s Rise Up the Ladder Pt.1
After tapping Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns: Smithers, I need to promote someone.  The towel boy in the executive washroom is starting to get lonely.
Smithers: But sir, we only have two other employees. And one of them is Homer Simpson.
Burns: Then we’ll have to promote the other one.
Carl: Thank you, Mr Burns, but I’ve reached the phase of Buddhist enlightenment where I feel no attachment to material wealth.
Burns: I’m willing to give you a sixty-percent raise and a four month signing bonus.
Carl: Thanks again. I’ve never really tried being rich before. Executive washroom, here I come!
Burns: Excellent. Let’s, shall we say, seal the deal. I hope dinner at 5:30pm is not too late.
Make Carl go to Dinner at Burns Manor- 2hrs
Keep Smithers free when complete

Carl’s Rise Up the Ladder Pt. 2
After tapping Smithers

Smithers: Excellent first day Mr. Carlson!
Carl: Thanks.  Hey, uh…normally I hang with Lenny.  But since he’s not around, would you-
Smithers: Ooo, are you inviting me out for apple-tinis?
Carl: Well, not that.
Smithers: Yay! Appl-tinis!
Make Carl Sip Apple-tinis at Moe’s- 4hrs
Make Smithers Sip Apple-tinis at Moe’s-
4hrs

Moe: So Carl’s hanging out with Smithers now, huh?  He always goes for the same type.
Keep Brockman free when complete

Carl’s Rise Up the Ladder Pt. 3
After tapping Brockman

Brockman: What is it that is happening, Carl, my brother.  We minorities have to stick together.
Carl: Say what now?
Brockman: Us in the 1%.  With the whole 99% looking to tan our hides.  Car to join me in using my ill-gotten-tax-free-capital gains to eat at pricey restaurants?
Make Carl Dine at the Gilded Truffle-2hrs
Make Brockman Dine at the Gilded Truffle-
2hrs
Make Carl Dine at El Chemistri-
2hrs
Make Brockman Dine at El Chemistri-
2hrs

Keep Homer free when complete

True Bromance Pt. 1
After tapping Homer

Homer: Hey Carl.
Carl: Homer, please, call me Mr. Carlson
Homer: Uh, yeah. Have you seen Lenny lately? ‘Cause if not, I have him right here.
Lenny: Hey guys, thanks for agreeing to meet me. I’d like to offer you a great opportunity to give me money. I need it to buy back my freedom from this guy I met in prison.
Carl: Jeez, Len, you don’t look so good. Or act so good.
Lenny: I’m trying to outrun the inescapable feeling of failure and disappointment. WHAT’S THAT BEHIND ME!?
Carl: I think you need to rest, buddy. And I need to think some things over. Soberly for a change.
Make Carl Meditate-4hrs
Make Lenny Crash at the Buddhist Temple-
12hrs

Keep Carl free when complete

True Bromance Pt. 2
After tapping Carl

Carl: Excuse me, Mr. Burns, I was wondering if you could find it in your heart to hire back my good friend Lenny Leonard.
Burns: In my heart? Ho-ha, what a delightful jape!
Carl: Please, sir. Couldn’t you just pay me less, and use the money you save to hire Lenny?
Burns: But if I paid you less, you wouldn’t be making more money than you deserve… which means you could no longer be an executive.
Carl: Then I guess I’ll just go back to my old job.
Burns: Very well. Your compassion has taught me something… why I am ludicrously rich and you are middle class. You and your friend can have your menial, nuclear energy jobs. Now let your dainty sentiments never poison my ears again.
Make Lenny do a Plant Shift-16hrs
Make Carl do a Plant Shift-
16hrs
Lenny: Carl, you got me my old job back! You are the truest of true pals – it’s times like these when I wish we could do more than bro hug.
Carl: I realized I needed you, Lenny. Standing next to you is the only way I look relatively attractive.
Lenny: I wish there was some disturbingly grandiose way to show you my gratitude.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It should be noted that another piece of information is that sometimes the quest may be delayed up to level 31 for no apparent reason, so you may just have to wait.

If you have ANY other tasks in you task book you should do them, they might be what's holding you up.

If you still can't get the Buddhist Temple to unlock you should contact Customer Support

Message 8 of 10 (1,208 Views)

★★ Novice

Wow, wadebear, thanks!  That explains a lot about the Buddha quest itself, however, just not what sets it off, you know what I mean?  What has to be done beforehand that would allow you to start that quest?  That's what I was afraid I missed, and why I jokingly asked for a "Quest Catalog" which, by the way, wasn't directed at you or any of the responders in particular; I really meant it for any EA development people who might be reading these posts--the ones who put the game together.  But it was really a joke.  I mean, unless some OCD gamer has dedicated themselves to putting such a catalog together....?

At any rateHomer, along with that undo-able task, seems to have disappeared from my task bar now, so I'm going to accept that I'll just have to wait, like you said, and see what happens.  Time to go to the next question on my list.  Once again, thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 10 (1,328 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mentalgirl12 wrote:

They're called Walkthroughs and there are several of them out there.  Just do a Google search for "simpsons tapped out walkthrough" and you should find them.  Some come come complete with all the character text (handy when you missed a joke), others are more bare bones.

Message 10 of 10 (1,182 Views)