Re: swtor ruined my pc

by fopel717

Original Post

swtor ruined my pc

★★ Novice

i have a very serious problem - after reinstalling windows i downloaded SWTOR and when i lunched the game the monitor said "out of range" and no matter what i did it stayed like that i rebooted the pc through the power button and now every time i turn on my pc it says "out of range" the only way i can acsses my pc is through safe mode. 

p.s. - when i lunched the game i had the latest drivers installed. please help me. (sorry for my bad english)

Message 1 of 11 (4,121 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

To me, it sounds like SWTOR uses a screen resolution that's not supported by your monitor.

Next time you start SWTOR and the monitor says "Out of Range", please hit Alt + Enter on your keyboard. This will switch from fullscreen to windowed mode; then you should be able to see the game again and you can adjust the graphics settings in-game so that they work with your monitor.

Message 2 of 11 (4,115 Views)

[ Edited ]

@fopel717

When in safe mode have you tried setting the resolution and frequency used ?

swtor for some reason reads the edid on startup , and not the current desktop resolution when it is wrong things get funky

Best workaround is do not launch swtor again with that monitor , use a different one so the edid is different, or this can also be driver based so ensure all windows updates and the video driver are up to date. (if using the latest downgrade the driver and also look for an inf file for that monitor, the one being used on the fresh install may be wrong). 

Alternativele 1 is use CRU and deselect all resolutions and frequency that monitor does not handle, this will correct what swtor is reading

Alternative 2 go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient

Edit the client defaults file and amend

Fullscreen = true to false

then add a new line add

RefreshRate = 60

Save and try again , I cant guarantee this will override the edid it is reading but it may, if it is the frequency out of range

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 3 of 11 (4,112 Views)

@Raidell wrote:

To me, it sounds like SWTOR uses a screen resolution that's not supported by your monitor.

Next time you start SWTOR and the monitor says "Out of Range", please hit Alt + Enter on your keyboard. This will switch from fullscreen to windowed mode; then you should be able to see the game again and you can adjust the graphics settings in-game so that they work with your monitor.

Hmm may also work , always the simplest things I forget , it will depend if the game is actually running though, it may not be with this error

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 4 of 11 (4,110 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

ok so i deleted my video drivers nad now i can acsses my pc but every time i intall them again my pc goes again to "monitor out of range" every time i boot windows up not in safe mode. also i cant chane my refresh rate it only gives me the "use hardware defult" option.

Message 5 of 11 (4,098 Views)

@fopel717

What OS ?

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 6 of 11 (4,094 Views)

[ Edited ]

@fopel717

Click Start
Control Panel
hardware and sound
device manager
go to monitor and right mouse click on update driver software
select browse my computer
pick from list
untick show compatible hardware
select standard monitor types then select digital flat panel (Pick your max resolution here) (if you have a lcd that is)

Edit - if you have access to a different monitor this will help I believe it should write new data for the different monitor

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 7 of 11 (4,089 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

thanks but it didnt help i belive the problem is in the NVIDIA driver when it is not selected everything is ok i tried reinstalling it a couple of times and every time it si the same how the hell can SWTOR f**k up my system this way...

edit: ok so now i am sure that somehow SWTOR messed up my grahpic driver thingy 

Message 8 of 11 (4,068 Views)

@fopel717

Have you tried a different version of the Nvidia Driver ?

try using DDU see if that helps , failing that is there a windows restore point available ?

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 9 of 11 (4,031 Views)

Re: Changing Credit Card Info Cancelled SWTOR Sub

★★ Novice

i tried that already and it didnt help no matter what version i already fixed the problem by reinstalling windows and deleting everything

Message 10 of 11 (3,993 Views)