small black window - returns to origin

by Ozzelord

Original Post

Accepted Solution

small black window - returns to origin

★★★★★ Novice

Hi, I pre-ordered Battlefield V and tried to start it - it shows a small black window and stops immediatly.

I re-installed the game and Origin, I updated all the drivers (Windows 10 as well), I tried to start everything as admin, I tried the Origin-repair option. I furthermore did a clean boot of my laptop, repaired all Windows files with faults and disabled the Origin in-game overlay.

Nothing works.

The laptop I use is an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx. It has the Radeon RX Vega M chip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 2 of 7 (1,377 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't get Bf V to start!

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Barry

Thank you for your help! I could finally fix my problem with a solution offered in the forum you mentioned!

There seems to be the problem that the Intel Radeon Settings don't use the original executable files but shortcuts which don't work. So, that's how I could fix it:

1: Navigate to the radeon settings menu

2: Click system then switchable graphics

3: Click running applications and change it to installed profiled applications

4: Click browse, navigate to the proper .exe in your respective game folder

5: Click on Gaming 
3. Click Add option on the right hand corner 
4. Click on browse, then look for the desired application 
5. Once the application has been added, click on the 3 dots next to it and click on Launch.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (1,328 Views)

All Replies

Can't get Bf V to start!

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I am getting more and more impacient since I am still trying to get Bf V to run - even though I pre-ordered it!

I tried to start it - it shows a small black window and stops immediatly.

I re-installed the game and Origin, I updated all the drivers (Windows 10 as well), I tried to start everything as admin, I tried the Origin-repair option and disabled the Origin in-game overlay. I furthermore did a clean boot of my laptop, repaired all the Windows files and cleaned my cache with CCleaner.

Nothing works.

The laptop I use is an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx. It has the Radeon RX Vega M chip.

Message 1 of 7 (1,364 Views)

Re: small black window - returns to origin

Hero

Your dxdiag tells me this about your crash:

Problemsignatur:
P1: bfv.exe
P2: 1.0.67.38148
P3: 5be4b75f
P4: igc64.dll
P5: 23.20.16.4973
P6: 5a96b105
P7: c0000094
P8: 00000000001d1e7e

igc64.dll is the one that's crashing your game, it's an Intel graphics driver file. As I also mentioned in the other thread, you need to update your graphics drivers and make sure your AMD graphics chip is running the game, not the Intel one.

carbonic signature

Message 3 of 7 (1,361 Views)

Community Manager

@Ozzelord

I suspect your PC is not actually using the Radeon RX Vega M when you play.

I have found the following and hopefully this will help remedy this:

Then, please follow these steps to force your computer to open games with Radeon RX Vega M.

1. Right click on desktop and select Radeon RX Vega M Settings
2. Click on Gaming 
4. Click on browse, then look for the desire application 
5. Once the application has been added, click on the 3 dots next to it and click on Launch. 

These steps are taken from this page: https://communities.intel.com/thread/126080

barry.png
Message 4 of 7 (1,349 Views)

Hero

@Ozzelord I've merged your 2 threads, there's no reason to keep making threads. Try responding to the threads you already have.

carbonic signature

Message 5 of 7 (1,341 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Barry

Thank you for your help! I could finally fix my problem with a solution offered in the forum you mentioned!

There seems to be the problem that the Intel Radeon Settings don't use the original executable files but shortcuts which don't work. So, that's how I could fix it:

1: Navigate to the radeon settings menu

2: Click system then switchable graphics

3: Click running applications and change it to installed profiled applications

4: Click browse, navigate to the proper .exe in your respective game folder

5: Click on Gaming 
4. Click on browse, then look for the desired application 

Message 6 of 7 (1,329 Views)

Community Manager

@Ozzelord

Excellent, thank you for posting the steps that helped you with this, very much appreciated!

barry.png
Message 7 of 7 (1,300 Views)