Re: one origin account but multiple users?

by MLadyD7

Original Post

Accepted Solution

one origin account but multiple users?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hello, i am considering buying a gaming PC and had a question regarding multiple users in one household. so my girlfriend and i both play games and we live together, is it possible to buy a copy of, say, battlefield 4, and be able to play as myself, or if my girlfriend wanted to play on the same setup, can she use her own profile to save her progress while without having to buy another copy of the game? does that make sense? I am not sure how this works but i was hoping there was some sort of multiple profiles linked to one origin account, for family use, within the same household, using the same computer, at seperate times.

thanks!

Message 1 of 20 (108,603 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@Ahmedyarhassan Hi,

You can only redeem the game on one account, not on multiple ones. I hope that clarifies that.

Cheers,

Nils

View in thread

Message 14 of 20 (44,828 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

You can download a game to multiple computers, however, one game equals one account... you would have to log out of one account to go to another computer and play on it...

If you want to play same game, different computers, same time, that equals buying another copy of the said game...

As long as you play the same game, same everything, same account, same game, you can use more than one computer, but not at the same time...

Hope I didn't confuse you lol!

Message 2 of 20 (108,485 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

^^^ That didnt even answer the question!

He was asking ONE pc ONE game TWO diffferent user accounts.

ie Mum has an origin account on the home shared pc she buys ONE copy bf4 and installs ,  Mum has two son who both want to play the game , Can both sons play with their own account name, or will world war 3 break out because number one son has just screwed number two sons K?D ratio because they had to use the same account...... naturally only one person could be playing at once  unless of course they were conjoined twins or something. :-)

Message 3 of 20 (108,444 Views)

EA Staff

Only the account that has the game code linked to it will be able to play, nit both of the accounts. Each account has to have a game code linked to it, so you would need to make multiple purchases of the game.

Message 4 of 20 (108,440 Views)

★★★ Newbie

so I guess could you set up multiple game tags? and use different tag

Message 5 of 20 (108,436 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

You will have to purchase another copy of the game. The serials are unique to each Origin account. (and as far as I know you can only have 1 serial of the game per account. - This maybe of consideration for Origin to allow a "parent" account? I'm not sure if they have such an option currently?)

In order for your girlfriend to use your game, she would require login to your Origin account. As far as I know, it only allows you to be signed into one computer at a time. As such, you will not be able to play the games at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 20 (108,432 Views)

★★ Novice

Seriously?? I bought a PC copy of BF4 to use on one computer. So in order to me to play the game, and my son (which we have indvidual Origins accounts) - I need to buy a second copy??? Is the same way it works on Xbox or Playstation? Usually If I buy a game for the Xbox - different users can usually log in with unique Xbox live accounts. 

Message 7 of 20 (108,418 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Is this for real? For some reasonmy kids love Spore, and I feel as though I have spent years of my life trying to understand how EA licenses it. My oldest first played it right after it came out and I did eventually get it working -- somehow. Of course, that computer is long since out of service and they have become interested in the game again (my youngest son, in particular) so I find myself back in that familiar nauseous space again -- recalling just how angry this game made me back in the day. On the bright side, it is cheaper now -- but it's also pretty old.

I have bought a download though amazon and have Spore, Spore Galactic something or other and Spore Cute & something. I am downloading to the system they would like to play on. Of course, they would each like to be able to play and track their own progress as you would do with a PS or Xbox game. I'm getting that sinking feeling (again) that cannot do that because of the way EA has choses to license this game. It's supremely frustrating. Even though they are on the same system (actually, I think they could be on any system, as I am now learning) only one history is going to be maintained -- the one that is attached to the EA Spore ID for the game -- which means that they cannot make independent progress through the game as I'd have expected.

Back when Spore was new, it had messed up licensing and I am unclear on whether that has changed at all. What is clear is that it is confused and I have now (again, I'm sad to say) been tricked into paying for something that is not what I thought it was -- of course, I'm sure this was all covered in plain English in the EULA. If only the licensing model had been as well-conceived as the game.

Very sad.

Message 8 of 20 (108,134 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yet another example of EA's money-grabbing business model.

Message 9 of 20 (107,077 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Here is the thing that I have come to notice with the games & origins download manager. Everyone here is panicking over the fact that you can't essentially have two different people playing the game...which is untrue. Origins allows for up to 5 computers to download content and play them. The origins account we have is my account. I have handed it over to my sister who also likes playing the sims 3. Her playing it has not once affected my playing, granted we are on two seperate computers. Saved content is generated on the computer, not the actual origins account. Which means that playing the game on one computer does not affect the saved content on the other. As for only having one instance of the origins account active at a time....I either have a glitch or EA fixed this...as my sister and I have been on the game at the same time without  an issue. Now generally I do not start the game up through the origins account but rather the desktop...but that shouldn't have much to do with it. In any case even if you are stuck playing on the same PC which obviously means you are only playing one instance of the account at a time...most games allow for more than one in-game profile.

As for BF3, I am not entirely sure how the interface of that game works as I have never been a big one for battle games but I am sure even that game will allow for multiple profiles to be set up. It seems rather silly that any game would only allow you to run through it one profile at time, even hidden object games allow for more than one profile. I am pretty sure Spore will allow more than one creature to be started as I remember some of my friends having more than one creature started at one time.

You all jump on EA's case about being a money hogger (and not saying they are not) but I am going to point out a very valid side for them that most people do not always think about. If the downloadable content was not locked to a single account it would mean that one person could buy it...upload it somewhere for thousands of others to download as they please and companies would lose out on money. Now trust me when I say it would not really be EA losing here, but rather the people behind the scenes that lose the money...namely the small game developing companies that are liscensed through EA for distribution, not to mention the various technicians. So try and be patient, understand that EA does try to work around the idea of families that would like to share with each other but still within the limits of protecting their rights and the rights of the people liscensed through them. This is actually better than buying a physical disk as most games require the 'play' disk to be in the computer in order to run the game....I don't know how many times I had to either wait for my dad to finish a game or attempt to finish a game myself in order for the other to play it next. 

So relax and do try to enjoy the games. 

Message 10 of 20 (105,280 Views)