new 4k monitor makes apex not launch.

by thomas_guy_rex

Original Post

Accepted Solution

new 4k monitor makes apex not launch.

★★ Novice

Screenshot of my desktop

i recently purchased a 4k monitor. Now when I launch apex it flashes black after loading the anticheat software, and then it minimizes. Once it minimizes, the scaling of my pc is made much smaller. When I try to select apex it just repeats that same process of flashing black and minimizing. Does the change of my resolution make it so the game doesn't launch anymore? what is this issue I'm encountering and how do I fix it? When I hover my mouse over the apex icon on the task bar I see the image above.

Message 1 of 5 (1,484 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: new 4k monitor makes apex not launch.

Community Manager

Hey, if you wipe your local Apex settings file -which will be trying to set your resolution when you start- does that change anything?

If you go to C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local you'll find a videoconfig.txt file. 

If you delete this, then start the game, it should do a quick check and then recreate the files with settings for your system. 

If this has no impact, you can open the videoconfig file with Notepad and change "setting.fullscreen" "1" to "setting.fullscreen" "0"

That should launch the game in a smaller window, then once you're in the game itself you can mess around with the available screen settings. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (1,464 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey, if you wipe your local Apex settings file -which will be trying to set your resolution when you start- does that change anything?

If you go to C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local you'll find a videoconfig.txt file. 

If you delete this, then start the game, it should do a quick check and then recreate the files with settings for your system. 

If this has no impact, you can open the videoconfig file with Notepad and change "setting.fullscreen" "1" to "setting.fullscreen" "0"

That should launch the game in a smaller window, then once you're in the game itself you can mess around with the available screen settings. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 5 (1,465 Views)

★ Pro
@thomas_guy_rex dunno what kind of gpu you have to run apex at 4k but this game is demanding as it is.. have you tried disable full screen optimization?

should be in:
SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Apex Legends
right click r5apex.exe

maybe delete the videoconfig.txt
Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local
Message 3 of 5 (1,463 Views)

★★ Novice

That did the trick! thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

Message 4 of 5 (1,434 Views)

Community Manager

Good stuff, thanks for the update. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 5 of 5 (1,424 Views)