Betreff: need help, low fps in Apex Legends

by Sick1Click

Original Post

Re: need help, low fps in Apex Legends

★★★★ Pro

@MirageMatt,

I think you really dont know what you're talking about. Vsync gives you much better frame times. My guide is working very well for many people, testet it on different setups. To limit the game to four threads will relieve your cpu to handle backround stuff better - he has anyway just a 4 core cpu Standard smile

I dont know why you so mad, let people talk about it who understand something about it - he already replied that it brought him something.

Message 11 of 41 (28,297 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Sick1Click You are confusing stuff my boy. I love VSync - that's true it gives consistent frame times. But I would never ever use it in FPS shooter. I was talking about INPUT LAG, and not frametimes. Input lag skyrockets when using VSync. Btw, shouldn't you know that double buffered VSync provides better (more consistent) frame times? 😉 Please refer to tests made my Battle(non)sense on YouTube. That's a person who "knows what he is talking about" as you like to categorize people.

Example: https://youtu.be/7CKnJ5ujL_Q
Message 12 of 41 (28,292 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@MirageMatt  You sure I'm a boy? I guess you live in youtube. Many youtube videos are correct and and can help you, but find out things on your own bring you much more to learn instead of just retell things. Double/tripple buffer - it depends on the game and situation.

He use just one RAM stick, what about it? That's the main reason for his performance loss by the way - settings are second important here.

Message 13 of 41 (28,282 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Sick1Click Have you even opened the video? No? I thought so. You would see how real, not-biased data look like. I just hate spreading false information and ideas. Furthermore, I do agree double-channel RAM helps FPS a bit, but for sure it's not the "main" reason as you said.
Message 14 of 41 (28,270 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@MirageMattok you turst more youtuber than some people writing here, ok i got it. But to say that I am spreading false information is something I personally take. Misinformation is definitly that your saing it just help a bit. It shows that you have absolutely no idea. Maybe you need to watch more youtube videos Standard smile

But I've had enough, there's no reason to sacrifice my time for your toxic behavior.

Message 15 of 41 (28,250 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@Sick1ClickNo you got it wrong, again. I trust people that are spreading true information. And who want to help people and not hinder their gameplay. And yes, I do trust more an IT with over 20 years in his job who made a YouTube channel to spread awareness about many quirks of PC gaming than random dudes on EA Forums.

Either way, there are no professional Apex players who use VSync and that should say something.

Message 16 of 41 (28,610 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

UPDATED #SEASSON 15:

First things first:

1. Disable vsync
  2. Disable gsync/freesync (also in your monitor settings if it is aviable)
  3. Disable Windows Game Mode
  4. If you have a AMD card, don't use enthance snyc and AMD antilag, leave all that stuff disabled
  5. NVIDIA: Set low latency mode: OFF, threaded optimization: OFF
  6. Set Nvidia Reflex in Apex Legends to: Enable
  7. Preverred update rate: max avaiable
  8. Disable fullscreen optimization for Apex (right click the r5apex.exe, r5apex_dx12.exe and EasyAntiCheat_launcher.exe at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex)
  9. Let Origin /EA App start as admin like this
  10. You need to unlock your FPS in apex legends by adding this argument to the start options in Origin or Steam (right click the game in library): +fps_max 0
  11. Also use these start commands: -high -preload
  12. If you like to skip the intro use: -novid
  13. You may need to lower you grafic settings to get more/stable fps (dont worry, apex lookes well on low settings. All pros use low settings: https://prosettings.net/apex-legends/ ) With a RTX 3070 I personally use low settings, 2-3GB texture streaming budget. if you really want more fps, set this to none.
  14. You need RTSS (riva tuner statistic server), download it from guru3d.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After installing RTSS, you have to setup a few things there:

• Hit Add left in the corner und choose r5apex.exe (default path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex Legends)
  • Also Add r5apex_DX12.exe
  • Application detection level medium
  • On-Screen Display support on
  • Show own statistic on 
  • At Setup enable "2 bars" with the Frame Color Indicator
  • Disable the On-Screen Display support and the Frame Color Indicator when you're done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now tweak it:

|1| You need to go into your game, preferably to shooting range (Don't worry, it doesn't run smoothly yet)

|2| Recognize tearing by looking up and down. The Frame Color Indicator will help you at this point as well. Disable it when you're done.

|3| By changing the value at RTSS "Scanline sync" to a nagativ number you can eliminate tearing. In my case I need just -60, you may need -100 or -200 etc. (From now on it's smooth!)

|4| If you don't want to use Scanline sync, you can now simply limit the FPS without touching the scnaline sync value (0). The pre-configuration as I have described it here is still essential, even if you only want to limit the FPS

It might be useful to define a custom Hz for your PC in the settings of your graphics card, since Scanline sync requires a lot of power, especially at high frame rates. E.g. 190Hz usually works very well with 240Hz monitors. If your FPS fluctuates too much, it will have a negative effect.
And thats it! It gives you a smooth gameplay without tearing, without VSYNC ingame and with low frame times! I recommend activating the autostart option in RTSS. So it will work everytime.

Best regards and good luck! =)

Message 17 of 41 (28,339 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@Sick1ClickWell now you are getting somewhere my friend, I have heard of scanline sync. The negative value you put there must be callibrated on per game/user basis - there are guides on guru3d forums. Also the game must render more frames than the monitor refresh rate for it to work properly (about 120 FPS for 60 Hz monitor). I personally have never used it, but I have heard good opinions. It provides tear-less gameplay without introducing input lag. The thing with RTSS frame cap is that it introduces 0-1 frames of input lag, so it's a bit worse than in-game frame limiters. However, what I found to make my game work much better are two things: reducing mouse polling rate to 500 Hz (or 250 Hz for slower processors) and excluding the whole Apex Legends folder from Windows Defender (I do not know how this works with other antivirus softwares). This made my CPU usage considerably lower and made the game fell and play much smoother.

All-in-all I doubt there is a perfect solution without using an Adaptive Sync display, like GSync.

Message 18 of 41 (28,464 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@MirageMatt Yeah, right! I wrote here how to calibrate as well Standard smile

RTSS is even better than ingame cap and sync. With RTSS I got 6.9ms Frametimes on a 144 Hz display, with ingame sync it's 7.2ms, with cap it's around 7ms. If you can handle constant 190 hz/fps you're on 5ms! I guess, I need a 240 Hz screen :D

What's even better, is that the frametime are much more stable than without RTSS. Without cap you'll have sometimes (not constantly) lower frametimes, because you can have more fps, but than its not stutter-free/tearing-free. I visited two friends today, both are exited about this solution Standard smile To set the polling rate to 500 Hz helped many people with older cpus, with newst there is no change (I could feel a differenc on my old i5-4690k)

I am sure you'll feel the difference with and without RTSS. RTSS feels like realtime input in every situation, if your pc has engough power for sure, lets give a try.

Message 19 of 41 (28,432 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Pro

Someone delete my post, 3rd time right now.

Message 20 of 41 (28,388 Views)