Re: mass effect Andromeda wont open after new patch

by EA_David

Original Post

★ Apprentice

I also tried re-updating it afterwards, and still nothing. I honestly don't know what's wrong with this damn game, but its so frustrating it's beyond belief I don't understand how a patch can so royally screw up a game. I can't fathom it. . 

Message 361 of 625 (2,597 Views)

Re: I can't open mass effect andromeda after update patch 1.05

★ Apprentice

I just tried solution #1, and it worked. You guys REALLY need to get this out there more. Also, how did you create THIS bug? Why does Origin being online break the game?

Message 362 of 625 (2,573 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Ah, that's a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have any restore points that are pre-patch. It was too long ago.

Thanks for the help though, appreciated.

Zjr762 I tried your fix but didn't work for me.. I'll keep trying to update SP1 and maybe it will help.

This is beyond insane. Absolutely baffled by the lack of help from EA. Still not a word; other then to remove peoples' posts who are simply seeking support for a game they paid for - which doesn't work; due to the developer's own patch that completely broke the game in the first place. Unreal. 

Even more ridiculous, is the fact that there is no word of this anywhere else....even the Mass Effect Reddit (which has a rather large following) mentions basically nothing. 

Message 363 of 625 (2,557 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Aggiea

Here are my specs as requested. The rollback from windows 10 updates didn't fix things...

Softwareversion Radeon - 17.3.2
Software-edition Radeon - Crimson ReLive
Graphics - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Memory - 2048 MB
memorytype - GDDR5
Core clockspeed - 1070 MHz
Windows-version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System memory - 8 GB
CPU-type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz

I know I'm technically below minimum specs with my CPU but to my surprise the game worked very well, until the darned patch of course, and did so at above medium settings for the most. Anyway, whatever CPU anyone is using it can't really be connected to the starting up issue I guess.

Once again any help form anyone is appreciated. Hopefully EA_David is also still out there and reading. EA, get it done!!!! Everyone is getting tired of this and it has taken way too long already!!!

I will get around to trying the solutions posted by others in the pas days tonight and will let you all know how that turned out.

Message 364 of 625 (2,541 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

I want to thank everyone again for their posts. 

I'd like to call out users like @Aggiea and @forgottenecho and @JoxerTM22 for your contributions. There are many more who have posted great content, sorry if you're not directly referenced. 

As indicated by the large array of troubleshooting steps there appear to be several potential issues here. A large portion of issues seem to be related to missing Windows updates, so please check your Windows Update and make sure that nothing is missing. 

As the thread has grown very large here's a rundown of the most common workarounds/fixes.

1: Starting the game in offline mode and then connecting to online may work.

Spoiler

a) start origin click origin tab and hit go offline

b) launch game (note, if you haven't payed offline before you may need to register the game with your login email and password)

c) after game starts, alt+tab out and click go online on the origin tab, then alt+tab back to the game

d) at main menu for game hit x on PC to reconnect to online (message at bottom of screen should give prompt)

2: Go to  C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect Andromeda and delete the .exe files (MassEffectAndromeda and MassEffectAndromedaTrial). Then choose the repair option by right-clicking the game panel in Origin.

3: Ensure that your graphics card drivers are up to date. 

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

4: If you're on Windows 8.1 or earlier, restart your system then go to this page and apply the appropriate update for your OS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows 

Credit to @Derziseu, more details can be found here:

Spoiler
first thing you're going to want to do is uninstall visual c++ 2015 completely restart your computer. and then go to control panel go to all control panel items go to Windows update in the control panel go to change settings and then enable never check for updates. restart your computer and then go to this website https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226 and download x86 or x64 install it then restart pc. then install visual c++ 2015 restart your computer

5. If you're on Windows 7, ensure that it's up to date with Service Pack 1 installed. 

6: Install the VC2015 update from Microsoft. There are some reports that deleting the existing 2015 and 2017 versions helped. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 @Denzien_Omega Has more details here.

Spoiler

Here are my steps

1) Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 (both versions)

2) I used CC cleaner to clean out the registry * and delete all the temp files to clean out any remnants. (LOL remnants)

3) Reboot

4) Download a fresh x86 and x64 version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistribution (2015) and install them.

Note: If the install hangs it will error out and you need to clean and try again.

5) Retry to load the game.

I hope this helps some people if not all of you

Link for Microsoft Visual "https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840"

Link for CC Cleaner if your interested in good free software "http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/"

7: Add the game and Origin to your security software's whitelists, including your Anti-virus. 

8: From user @AzN-SoLjA-EGC "I got it to work by control panel > uninstall > select the 64bit C++ 2015 version > Uninstall > And choose Repair

This is from a Win7 Ultimate 64bit "

9: Disable Crossfire/SLI

10: Go to My Documents/Bioware/Mass Effect Andromeda and delete the Save folder. Let the saves sync from the cloud when you start up. It's worth making a backup of this file to your desktop in case you need to recover your saves later. 

11: Wipe your Origin Cache files using the steps in this article: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/origin-my-games-list-is-blank/

We're aware that these steps don't seem to fix it for everyone, so if you are still affected after trying the relevant steps for you it may help to post your dxdiag details. 

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 365 of 625 (20,443 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello,

Thank you @EA_David for your post and gather all the solutions (11 ones)  the players found, BY THEMSELVES (over a more than 35 pages topic).

Now, can you tell us when EA will, or won't, send a real good patch for those who still can't play ?

Or will we have to correct any new Mass Effect DLC ( or even every others EA games ) ourselves ?

This is not a troll, this is a serious question from a customer who dont understand why we have to change settings in our Operating System where our old version of our game worked ?

Please do not erase this post. 

Thank you, and have a good day.

Message 366 of 625 (2,482 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I finally was able to run it post patch by updating AMD drivers to 17.4.2 and disabling all overlays (including windows dvr and Xbox) and W10 game mode. Still won't go to exclusive full screen, though, so no crossfire. Have to play with 1080p upscaled and borderless windowed, but at least it's playable.

W10 Creators Update

3x290x

4930k 64GB RAM

Triple 1440p monitors in eyefinity

Message 367 of 625 (2,393 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks @emzincone The Windowed Fullscreen issue seems to be related to the Creator's update. Are you able to roll back this update and see if you can play fullscreen again?

It's ok if you don't want to do this now that you have the game running, but I'd be interested if you do try this. 

Unfortunately I don't have any information about specifics of upcoming patches, but I know that the post-patch issues are known about.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 368 of 625 (2,384 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_David wrote:

Thanks @emzincone The Windowed Fullscreen issue seems to be related to the Creator's update. Are you able to roll back this update and see if you can play fullscreen again?

It's ok if you don't want to do this now that you have the game running, but I'd be interested if you do try this. 

Unfortunately I don't have any information about specifics of upcoming patches, but I know that the post-patch issues are known about.

It's not possible because I already erased my windows.old folder, but before the patch (also before creators update, I'm on Windows insider release preview), albeit with heavy performance issues (no crossfire before the patch and 4320x2560 resolution) I was able to run in exclusive fullscreen and native resolution.

From my limited debugging when you go to exclusive fullscreen the game is unable to set monitor mode on creators update, my monitors go to 640x480 res with the three of them showing just a blinking mouse cursor, which I am able to move, and able to return to windowed by hitting alt+enter. If you need any more info, just ask.

Cheers

Message 369 of 625 (2,380 Views)

★★★ Novice

I fixed the problem with Fullscreen issue on Creator's update by manually setting monitor's refresh rate to any possible value.

@emzincone wrote:

@EA_David wrote:

It's not possible because I already erased my windows.old folder, but before the patch (also before creators update, I'm on Windows insider release preview), albeit with heavy performance issues (no crossfire before the patch and 4320x2560 resolution) I was able to run in exclusive fullscreen and native resolution.

From my limited debugging when you go to exclusive fullscreen the game is unable to set monitor mode on creators update, my monitors go to 640x480 res with the three of them showing just a blinking mouse cursor, which I am able to move, and able to return to windowed by hitting alt+enter. If you need any more info, just ask.

Cheers

Message 370 of 625 (2,326 Views)