Re: loss of sound on mass effect andromeda

by Thorocious

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Tried:

driver update of both soundblaster audigy and nvidia gpu drivers. - no effect  same problem occurs

disable hdmi outputs so that only the sound card one remains - no effect.  same problem occurs

disabling shadowplay - no efffect  same problem occurs

muting all players prior to match - no effect  same problem occurs

disabling VoIP - no effect  same problem occurs

running game in a window - no effect  same problem occurs

tested both on speakers AND usb headset - no effect.  same problem occurs.

disable microsoft game bar - no effect  same problem occurs

change audio settings to nighttime etc.   - no effect  same problem occurs

play game in stereo rather than surround sound - no effect.  same problem occurs

checked event logs for possible clues - none found.  system reporting no issues.

Tested by hosting game and also joining games: same problem occurs regardless.

Checked for possible workarounds for previous frostbite engine games - found suggestions but variable not supported in ME:A - no effect.

Tested with Breakaway audio enhancer - no effect.  same problem occurs

Reported problem on answers ea as both a bug and technical issue in both areas.   No communication to show that this has been acknowledged as an issue/bug/fault, or if its being looked at.    We need focus on this issue, its driving me crazy!!

Til its fixed it looks like many of us are stuck with No Sound Effects:Andromeda

Message 61 of 203 (2,222 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Absolutely dreadful state of affairs. Yet Mother company whose games I am going to completely boycott... Getting quite the list now. This has been present since day one EA and in the latest patch it's got worse!!! Not better...
You best sort yourselves out or you'll find yourselves going bust what with all these decent up and coming game companies that look after their fan base.
Message 62 of 203 (2,211 Views)

★★★ Pro

For me at least the biggest problem with this issue is the feeling that its getting no exposure to those that have the power to fix it.   This forum is awesome and all that, but an acknowledgment of this fault and hopefully an eta of a hotfix would be a wonderful idea especially considering the playerbase is getting rather disillusioned by the long 1 month waits between updates.

There comes a point where people buy new games and move on, or they get so frustrated with the support for a product that they give up on it anyway.. and i'm abound with patience, but i do think 2 months+ for a fix for a problem of this kind is pushing the boundaries a lot.

Message 63 of 203 (2,194 Views)

★★ Guide

I am experiencing the same problem ever since the launch of the game. Patches 1.05 and 1.06 did not help.
It always happens when there are at least two players in a multiplayer match who use guns with high rates of fire and/or louder gunfire sounds (e.g. Scattershot, Soned, Naladen, Rozerad).
As soon as said players get near each other and unleash those machines of death and destruction audio cuts out.
To me it seems like audio channels get saturated to such an extent that some fail-safe kicks in to prevent an even greater problem. But that's a layman speaking.
My audio settings are as follows:

Dynamic Range: Medium
Speaker Configuration: Surround
Master Volume: 100%

Music Volume: 75%

SFX Volume: 75%

Dialog Volume: 100%

Subtitles: Enabled:

Ignore Window Focus: Off

PC, Digital-based install

Message 64 of 203 (2,173 Views)

★★★ Pro

Avanglion, i would like to have a lot more control over my audio if this was the case.  I would much rather have a choice to control the amount of sound that gets pushed from the game to the audio hardware to prevent this problem from happening at all, but all we have got is the features for volume controls etc.

Either that.. or they could just fix this really awful problem because i'm quite sure it wasn't in their design to have the players of their game having to restart the game endlessly because they lose sound altogether.

Voice still works after the sound effects and music cuts out..  so its not like it kills audio altogether.

* PLEASE EA/Bioware, WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BEG FOR A FIX SHOULD WE? *

Message 65 of 203 (2,156 Views)

★★★ Pro

Hotfix 1.07:  also no mention of a fix or improvement for this issue.

at the point of writing this, now 196 people have clicked ME TOO to this thread.

If it is a known issue with EA/Bioware, then please can we have some communication about it to say what if anything is being done about it?

If you rented a bluray movie and the sound disappears 10 minutes in, would you be happy.

If you went to the movies and the sound stopped part way through .. would you be happy?  would you complain to the management and get a refund?

So why should a game as a form of entertainment be any different?

The odd sound glitch fine, but the frequency of this issue is now rampant.  Yesterday i relaunched the game 5+ times in one evening of play due to the loss of sound issue.. for no other reason.  This is not good.

Message 66 of 203 (2,114 Views)

★★ Guide

Still happening, more often than before even..  Confused

Message 67 of 203 (2,101 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

The nature of this bug seems to very different. I do not find any specific pattern when the bug occurs.

As far what I am noticed for me:

1. the very same bug happens for me with ME3 multiplayer sometimes (other OS, other PC, different dirvers, but same addon soundcard)

2. I have no similar issue with any other game (even with the same Frostbite engine as ME:A)

3. the bug also happen if no other application is running in the background (besides system processes)

4. I use an addon card: Creative Soundblaster Titanium Fatal1ty (do you guys also have it with onboard soundchips?)

5. if bug happens, all other applications (Winamp, Teamspeak) still work fine, it affects only the game itself

6. I have to close the game and restart it

7. I hear a "scratch" noise if I close the game via the speakers

8. bug isn't dependant to kind of map or enemy in multiplayer

9. bug isn't dependant to weapon sounds (had a game when sound was lost before any enemy spawned and team was just dashing to their interception spots)

10. happens with speakers (normal soundcard port) or with headset (frontpanel device of my soundcard)

11. doesn't matter if post-process options of my soundcard (like Crystalizer) is activated or not

12. bug is happening in average 1 of the 20 matches - before patch V1.05 it was more frequently for me

I reported my issue and linked this thread to the custom support of EA. Hope they pass it through to the developers so they become more aware of this bug.

Update: uploaded my dxdiag.txt

Message 68 of 203 (2,075 Views)

★★★ Pro

In answer to your question in 4?   I have a soundblaster Audigy FX card.  The onboard sound on the motherboard is fully disabled.

other than this, i like all the things you've summarised, very supportive to what i've already tested and in many cases confirms my findings thusfar.

Message 69 of 203 (2,059 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I have the same problem and oddly enough did NOT have this problem pre-1.06 patch.

I am using RealTek HD onboard sound under the name of ROG SupremeFX.

I've tried "Repairing" the install through Origin numerous times.

There are no new RealTek drivers to try and install either.

I have ZERO game sound overlays running. SupremeFX effects also disabled.

Only Logitech Gaming Software and Origin in-game overlays are running.

Windows 10 x64 Creators Update

Message 70 of 203 (2,044 Views)