connection troubles

by APeXNECTAR

Original Post

Accepted Solution

connection troubles

★★★ Novice

can anyone help me read a UOtrace, i dont know what any of the nodes are to figure out where the problem actually is

Message 1 of 6 (366 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: connection troubles

Community Manager

@APeXNECTAR 

Without being able to see the IPs I'm not sure where hop 2 is located. If it's an internal network IP it could be part of the same issue that's affecting hop 1. If it's an external IP, it might point to an issue with the infrastructure in your area. 

The 100% packet loss means that hop just didn't respond to the ping. Some datacenters don't respond to pings at all for security reasons, so seeing 100% packet loss on a trace route isn't unusual. 

The lack of an entry for hop 7 could point to closed network ports. Sometimes that can cause hops to time out when you run a trace route. 

Kent.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (290 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @APeXNECTAR

Looking at the UO Trace I can see some packet loss happening on the first hop. This would be the connection from your PC to your home router/modem. If there's packet loss happening on that first hop, there might be a connection issue within your home network. 

What type of internet connection are you using? If it's a wifi connection, would it be possible to try connecting with a network cable instead? That way we can rule out any wifi signal issues as the reason for the packet loss. 

Kent.png
Message 2 of 6 (320 Views)

★★★ Novice

i have to run the tests on my laptop which doesn't have an ethernet port, the 1-2% packet loss doesn't show up on most of the traces i run, would the packet loss on hop 1 to 2 be the cause as to why hop 7 doesn't work at all and hop 8 is showing 100% packet loss on every test?

Message 3 of 6 (311 Views)

Community Manager

@APeXNECTAR 

Without being able to see the IPs I'm not sure where hop 2 is located. If it's an internal network IP it could be part of the same issue that's affecting hop 1. If it's an external IP, it might point to an issue with the infrastructure in your area. 

The 100% packet loss means that hop just didn't respond to the ping. Some datacenters don't respond to pings at all for security reasons, so seeing 100% packet loss on a trace route isn't unusual. 

The lack of an entry for hop 7 could point to closed network ports. Sometimes that can cause hops to time out when you run a trace route. 

Kent.png
Message 4 of 6 (291 Views)

★★★ Novice

thanks a lot, ive never used a uotrace before so i wasnt exactly sure how to read it, that should help me narrow everything down to figure out where the problem actually is, i play on an xbox so its hard to replicate perfectly on the laptop

Message 5 of 6 (283 Views)

Community Manager

@APeXNECTAR 

You're welcome! Let me know what you find out when you've got the chance. 

Kent.png
Message 6 of 6 (221 Views)