by IICookieGII

Original Post

Accepted Solution

bf5 random freezes on high end system

★★★★ Novice

all games work smooth with settings maxed @ 1080p

ryzen 2700x / RTX 2080 / 16gb ram / ssd

win10

bf5 freezes + stutters with all maxed or all low so it makes no difference. sometimes freezes are almost 1 sec long. can't play competitively.

latest drivers, fresh install, fresh windows install, yea i know what you were going to suggest. spent 2 hours debugging this.

FIX ?

Message 1 of 11 (8,628 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: bf5 random freezes on high end system

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Tl/DR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5memuI5WD4 explains it quite well

Issue identified as bad vram batch on GPU RTX 2080

rampant issue among RTX adopters.

card sent to RMA.

replacing the RTX with my previous msi RX 480 Gaming X 8GB resulted in awesome smooth gameplay albeit at lower fps obviously.

sorry for blaming anything but this, it was kind of difficult to imagine nvidia has such crappy quality control

View in thread

Message 10 of 11 (8,385 Views)

All Replies

@seccentral wrote:

all games work smooth with settings maxed @ 1080p

ryzen 2700x / RTX 2080 / 16gb ram / ssd

win10

bf5 freezes + stutters with all maxed or all low so it makes no difference. sometimes freezes are almost 1 sec long. can't play competitively.

latest drivers, fresh install, fresh windows install, yea i know what you were going to suggest. spent 2 hours debugging this.

FIX ?

Are you using DX11 or DX12? Are you using any programs with overlays active such as MSI Afterburner and is any of your hardware overclocked?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 2 of 11 (8,605 Views)

★★★★ Novice
dx12, afterburner or no afterburner, and no oc. same problem.
Message 3 of 11 (8,540 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@seccentral Make sure this is turned off or set if not done already and for testing do a clean boot to be sure its not a program on the PC making issues in BFV.....

Disable Origin in game:
In Origin - Application settings - Origin in Game - disable Origin in game

Origin Cloud Storage turn it off
Origin, settings, General

In game do this please in advanced video settings...

Make sure frame rate limiter is set to 200

future frame rendering- on

vertical sync- off

GPU memory restriction- off

Below set everything to custom or low for testing

Under video Basic ....

motion blur set to 0

Try a clean boot : run a Clean Boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/929135 >This should ensure that no programs are interfering in the background.

EDIT... Also check what windows update has installed and remove KB4480116 as it makes crashing / issues as I found out yesterday thanks to @AkamaNelson for his information on this.

Message 4 of 11 (8,528 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello, i let this one on the side for a few weeks but now im back at it:

Here's what i've done.

Start fresh. Bios update/reset.

bought a gskill 16g b-die samsung ram 3200mhz cl14 dual channel kit - just to be precisely clear that we're 100% ryzen compatible and all that, to shut up any naysayers.
Only bios changes - loaded ram xmp profile and disabled HPET.

Installed windows 10 fresh.

let it update.

uninstalled KB4480116 as per your recommendation

Installed nvidia driver 417.71 

Install origin, launch BF5, set all to low, DX11, your recommendations etc.

Stutters.

I've read on forums/reddit/internets that this game is not properly ryzen optimized. Anything else i can do ?

The stutters are mostly felt in the following situations (regardless of renderer dx11/12, level of detail and all that) :

On the multiplayer overlay map when choosing a spawn point, massive stutter from birds-eye-view to ground camera (annoying but not a game breaker)

anywhere in single or multiplayer when massively doing a 180 or a 360 rotation (game breaker)

anywhere in single or multiplayer when using any kind of scope and zooming in (more stutter on the sniper 6x scopes)  (game breaker)

I'm starting to lose faith in this and ready to call bad development/discrimination towards amd / intel preferential treatment

Message 5 of 11 (8,474 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hey @seccentral 

Personally, I switch everything down to minimum in graphics settings, I turn FFR ON (i have an 8700K which is more than capable) but as it is CPU intensive and has been thoroughly analysed a few times over, it could be a bottleneck for your GPU? or vice versa?

Turn off any overclocks on your GPU. DX12 OFF.

Fresh install of BFV if you can wait? (Repair Game - saves re-downloading from EA's Servers).

The stuttering does imply a bottleneck somewhere.  Make sure they are sufficiently cooled etc.

These things may seem like teaching to suck eggs but the simple things often overlooked can be the cause of so many issues.

Can we see your DxDiag?

Thanks & Best of Luck!

Message 6 of 11 (8,462 Views)

★★★★ Novice
hi,
i have all of them set to off or max it made no difference to the stutters.
i have not oc-ed anything (cpu/gpu/ram)
i did a repair just now on bfV, all good.
The gpu is a MSI 2080 gaming X trio (3 coolers on it) the case has 3 front intake 140mm fans, one rear exhaust and 2 top exhaust fans, the CPU cooler is a dark rock pro 4 from bequiet, aida64 system stability test ran 30 mins no throttling, max temps at about 80 C on cpu. in bv5 however it hovers around 54 55 C.

here is my dxdiag https://pastebin.com/8SFsZMqR
Message 7 of 11 (8,451 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi @seccentral 

Thank you for the reply and the DxDiag report. Much appreciated!

• Are you cable or wireless connected for your internet connection? (if wireless, try a cable to exclude WiFi issues)
  • Do you use a Latency Monitor at all? (LatMon.exe reports an app hang issue along with BF1.exe)
  • Do you have the latest Windows build? 1809 Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) 11/13/2018 (Windows key + R then type in the field: "winver", press enter to view your build)

If you have any update issues, I normally rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution) to SoftwareDistribution.OLD then go back to Windows Updates and run it again.

Optional: I also use a freeware software called ShutUpO&O to turn off any Windows background services.

Let us know how you get on.

Best of Luck!

Message 8 of 11 (8,424 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Hi, Cable. copper cable to my router then fiber link to my isp, 1gbit down, 500mbit up (eastern europe internets for $10/mo yey), this is not a network latency issue, it's a local problem, I know the difference.
I used LatMon, (maybe i dont know how to use it properly?) here is the log https://postimg.cc/gallery/297jahbuw/
windows ver Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.107]
1809 176763.107
i am using donotspy10 but will try shutupO&O
Message 9 of 11 (8,416 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Tl/DR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5memuI5WD4 explains it quite well

Issue identified as bad vram batch on GPU RTX 2080

rampant issue among RTX adopters.

card sent to RMA.

replacing the RTX with my previous msi RX 480 Gaming X 8GB resulted in awesome smooth gameplay albeit at lower fps obviously.

sorry for blaming anything but this, it was kind of difficult to imagine nvidia has such crappy quality control

Message 10 of 11 (8,386 Views)