Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: audio bug

by MasterNurmi

Original Post

★ Apprentice

@Arcturnal wrote:
By the way, did some testing. Seems like when the bug happens, if you go into services.msc and restart Windows Audio Endpoint Builder (which also restarts Windows Audio), it occasionally fixes the problem for a few minutes?

Did you do anything else before restarting Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, or just that? i just got done trying it, and it didn't do anything for me.

Message 101 of 154 (1,239 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Hm, the more I have to do it, it seems the less it works and stays working. Or maybe Habitat 7 (started a new game) is just wonky?

Here's a list; not exactly sure which one's helping. Tried them one by one; sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

-restarted Windows Audio Endpoint Builder in Services
-restarted Waves Audio Services in Services
-restarted Realtek Audio Service in Services
-set all RAVBg64.exe to Above Normal priority
-set RtkAudioService64.exe ""
-set RtkNGUI64.exe "" (doubt this does anything bc it seems to be GUI)
-set WavesSvc64.exe and WavesSysSvc64.exe ""

Can't find any other windows audio processes.
Message 102 of 154 (1,228 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Arcturnal wrote:
Hm, the more I have to do it, it seems the less it works and stays working. Or maybe Habitat 7 (started a new game) is just wonky?

Here's a list; not exactly sure which one's helping. Tried them one by one; sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

-restarted Windows Audio Endpoint Builder in Services
-restarted Waves Audio Services in Services
-restarted Realtek Audio Service in Services
-set all RAVBg64.exe to Above Normal priority
-set RtkAudioService64.exe ""
-set RtkNGUI64.exe "" (doubt this does anything bc it seems to be GUI)
-set WavesSvc64.exe and WavesSysSvc64.exe ""

Can't find any other windows audio processes.

nothig of those settings worked for me ... the only way is too wait for another patch hoping that will fix it, since they * up , from what i remember there wasnt an issue like that at the start it appeared with one of their patch..

Message 103 of 154 (1,212 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I hate to curb your enthusiasm about the temporary fix but I was able to "fix" it for a few minutes by just going to the Codex and reading a few entries. It seems that if you spend some time in the Codex, Inventory, outside of the game, etc, the audio comes back temporarily, resets itself, sort of.

That's why I don't think the changes you described have anything to do with the bug. The sheer fact that you spend some time doing something outside the game makes the audio work for a few minutes when you come back.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

Message 104 of 154 (1,205 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Hmm. Those don't seem to fix the audio for me, though. Odd.
Message 105 of 154 (1,176 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Seems like I can get rid of audio crashes by changing Thread.JobThreadPriority. 0-1 changed crashes to cutouts, and 2 made that cutout disappear aside from cutscenes popping which makes that dialogue pop to overlap next line.

Decided to just skip testing from 2 to 8 and left it like that because nothing bad happened and I don't know if it like assigns thread to different core or just enables more threads.

Also, I did write everything down myself to user.cfg as everything is set to -1 which doesn't seem to work.

Thread.ProcessorCount -1 -> 8
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 5 -> 6 "7-8 freezes, 6 freezes with MinFree left to -1."
Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount -1 -> 0
Thread.JobThreadPriority -1 -> 8

Worst case: I did move thread to last core and enable one more thread.
Worst best case: Everything is everywhere.

Message 106 of 154 (1,153 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@MasterNurmi Wait, I'm a lil bit confused. Where do you apply those changes and how reliable is that fix?

Message 107 of 154 (1,142 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Create text file to install folder and change its name to  user.cfg, then you can write Frostbite commands in it and for these settings you need to adjust to whatever CPU you have.

For reliability nothing I say should convince you, test it yourself and learn magic.

For 4-core I can write imaginary example.

Thread.ProcessorCount 4
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 2
Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount 0
Thread.JobThreadPriority 4

and although untested, HT/SMT 4-core should go like this.

Thread.ProcessorCount 4
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 6
Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount 0
Thread.JobThreadPriority 8

Message 108 of 154 (8,891 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Tried it with the cfg file with settings you suggested but the issue was still there, no changes.

I hope more people will get on this though, maybe we'll find at least a temporary fix before there is an official one. I saw someone point this issue out to Ian Frazier so maybe it will actually get some attention.

Message 109 of 154 (1,107 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Arronievi wrote:

I saw someone point this issue out to Ian Frazier so maybe it will actually get some attention.

I was curious exactly what his response was, and I'm kind of disappointed by it. Does anyone know how much Ian has to do with getting issues like this noticed and fixed? Despite this topic being on the first page as often as it is, he apparently had not heard of it until April 7.

Message 110 of 154 (1,084 Views)

me-andromeda-fem

Keep your account safe

We'll make sure it's you by sending you a code for your trusted devices.

Learn more about Login Verification on EA Help

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help