Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Xbox -- Stuck on "Connecting to Online Services"

by KlattuBarada

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Xbox -- Stuck on "Connecting to Online Services"

★★★★ Novice

Posting in this forum since it seems to a get a response. I've had two seprate bug reports with no response. EA help on twitter responded but ultimatly failed to resolve the problem.

Problem: "Connecting to Online Services..." displays forever on the screen.

Summary of things I have tried (with the help of EA service on twitter).

1. Clearing the Xbox Network Cache--restarting/powercycle -- Fail
  2. Remove Gamertags -- restart/power cycle -- Adding Gamertags back on -- Fail
  3. Change primary DNS to 208.67.222.222 secondary to 208.67.220.220 -- Fail
  4. Change primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 secondary to 8.8.4.4 -- Fail
  5. Port Forward Anthem ports. TCP: 443, 8080  UDP 3659, 21000-26000 -- Progress but fails with "Error Retrieving Anthem Live service data" -- Fail
  6. Clearing the Xbox Network Cache again of opeing ports--restarting/powercycle -- Fail
  7. Delete game and saved info, redownload, do all of the above. -- Fail

I have two XBOX one Xs. One was intially able to connect and worked fine from the launch date. Son's account was stopped at the forge bug. Was able to use the seond xbox to get him past forge bug. Now BOTH Xboxes refuse to connect with any account.

Apex, Battlefield, Battlefront, Fortnight, COD, etc. all work without needing to do any of this.

Message 1 of 15 (362 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Xbox -- Stuck on "Connecting to Online Services"

★★★★ Novice
Thanks EA_Cade.
With your suggestions I was able to locate the problem. My wife had turned on a feature of our router called Circle (by Disney). It acts like an "easier" version of OpenDNS. She was using it to monitor our children's activity and block unwanted websites.
For some reason, it must have been blocking the connection to the Anthem servers even though other EA online games worked just fine (Apex, Battlefront, Battlefield). Removing the Xboxes from the monitored devices list cleared up the problem immediatly.
As a test I went back and removed all of the port forwarding settings in the router and Anthem connected just fine (i.e. UPnP is on).

Thanks again for responding.

View in thread

Message 13 of 15 (180 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice
This problem has been happening for a month or more. It feels like forever. I am posting again since I tried again with the latest client update and again no go.
Message 2 of 15 (356 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am having and have been having this same issue. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the xbox insider program. Are you subscribed to the xbox insider program? 

I have attached a picture of my error screen.

Message 3 of 15 (314 Views)

★★★★ Newbie

I’m having the exact same issue. I haven’t been able to play in about a month, with nothing to help.

Message 4 of 15 (280 Views)

★★★★ Newbie

Mine also has no sound and it lags and freezes on all of the opening screens and never makes it past the first loading screen

Message 5 of 15 (278 Views)

★★★★ Novice
One of my Xboxes does have the insider app, the other does't but both have the same problem.
Message 6 of 15 (245 Views)

★★★★ Novice
At this point I just want some sort of acknolwedgement that it is never going to work or they have stopped looking into the issue. All I get is silence. I loved playing the game when it was working.
Message 7 of 15 (242 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Another week unable to connect.

Message 8 of 15 (185 Views)

Community Manager

@KlattuBarada Sorry for the delay!

Out of curiosity, can you try using your cell phone as a hotspot to connect through the Xbox One and let me know if that works?

This almost sounds like you're being double routed or there's an IP address conflict. 

-EA_Cade
Message 9 of 15 (179 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the response. That actually worked. How do I fix. I set a static IP in my router for that Xbox and confirmed no other device is using that IP. 

Message 10 of 15 (161 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help