Xbox One, Child account unable to access online features

by Hales27

Original Post

Xbox One, Child account unable to access online features

★★★★ Novice

I can play StarWars fine but when I switch to my sons account it just says you are not allowed to access online features??

Please can this be resolved,  I have set him up with an EA account and still he cannot play Star Wars online with his own profile,  I even tried changing his profile to an adult but still does not work.

I am a parent and give permission for him to play certain games,  There is nothing bad in Star Wars so I'm happy for him to play but there is no where I can see to override this.

Getting more and more annoyed at this fact.  

Is it possible to unlink his EA account from his Xbox Profile? or change his EA account in someway to allow his access.  Otherwise this is a joke. 

Im guessing Christmas day is gonna have a LOT of Disappointed kids everywhere who are unable to play.

I await your reply.

Regards

Message 1 of 10 (11,571 Views)

Re: Xbox One, Child account unable to access online features

Hero (Retired)

@Hales27

It is due to certain laws that prevent child accounts from accessing online features.  It is possible to unlink the Xbox Live Account from the current Origin Account and then link it to another.  To do that, you must contact an EA Game Adviser @ http://help.ea.com  and have them do it for you.  However, BOTH the Xbox Live account and the Origin Account must be over the age of 13, or it will still not allow the online features to be accessed.  Sorry, but again, this is due to laws, and EA will not break the law to allow kids to play games.

Did my post help you? Click "Grant XP"
Did my post solve your issue? Click "Accept As Solution"

I do not work for EA. I am just a gamer helping fellow gamers.

See you on the Battlefield!!!

Multi-Platform Elite Race: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4

I DO NOT ANSWER PMs. IF YOU NEED HELP, POST A NEW THREAD SO THE WHOLE COMMUNITY CAN GIVE INPUT, AND IF IT GETS SOLVED, EVERYONE CAN SEE THE SOLUTION.

Message 2 of 10 (11,543 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Im in the same boat with my child. That is correct about the age thing but this is total BS by EA because there are parental permission control options that xbox allows the parent to decide what your child can play or be blocked from. Don't understand why EA would overrule our permission. We are the parent, not them. EA should have an option that gives the parent control. 

Message 3 of 10 (11,507 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I read somewhere of a solution and it worked for me.

I went into my sons Microsoft account, not on the xbox but on the website, there I was able to change his date of birth.  Once it was saved I logged back into the xbox loaded his profile and Star Wars connected straight away.  One happy little fella.

In order to find the email address associated with his account I opened his profile on the Xbox and in Settings, Sign in, Security & Passkey option.  I found the email address.

Once I had the address I logged into his Microsoft Account and under Your Profile, Edit Personal Info I was able to change his Date of Birth.

Hope this helps and works for everyone else.

Message 4 of 10 (11,474 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

didn't work for me... spent days trying to sort this.

The issue is if you originally set up your child's account linked to your own gamertag.  if not, great, change dob etc., if so after 10 phonecalls, many 'hangups' from EA advisors , the answer is 'no'.

the only solution I can see is starting afresh with a new gamertag and origina account.

really poor EA, really poor.

Message 5 of 10 (11,464 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

will try this. agree that is is extremely irritating. the reason for parental controls is to allow parent's to control; no reason EA should override what i have decided for content restrictions.  above comment about "laws" is utter *. there are no laws that restrict child access to online features. ESRB is a voluntary, industry maintained standard...not a law.

EDIT: forgot about the idiocy that is COPPA...could be a factor, but that law still allows for parental consent to be given, so again, EA is just being a * here.

Message 6 of 10 (11,286 Views)

★★ Novice

This is an EA policy and not a requirement.  It is not similar to anything at Microsoft or with other game publishers.  It really has nothing to do with content or even COPPA -- at least directly.  It only relates to COPPA to the extent that EA either wants to be able to use all user data that is exchanged with EA servers or EA has decided that it is too hard, too risky, or too expensive to manage child data on its servers.  In other words, EA does not want to follow COPPA at the EA server level for that data so it disallows exchanging that data.  Scorched earth approach to compliance.  If it did allow under 13 data to be exchanged with EA servers then it would have to actually comply with COPPA for all the data that exchanges at that level.  It is not about maturity of content because that is managed at the console level and the single player parts of the same games are still available in those games with single player.  As far as the toxicity of online interactions, it would be better to allow parents to use the console controls like under other games since they you can choose no chat or chat with friends only, etc.  (Under PSN accounts, EA limit chat and messaging at the EA account level for over 13 child accounts, which is fine but could be in place for below 13 as well).  By making it harder for parents to control the content they are really doing more harm than good.  There are so many kids that are on console's with no restraint (as full adult accounts) just to play the Battlefront series and play Madden and FIFA with friends across town.  That is a concern -- I would rather see them be limited at the console level.

Message 7 of 10 (10,679 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Hales27 Wholly crap it worked. I spent two days on this. Ty ty ty
Message 8 of 10 (6,579 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@Squidt34_34Glad it worked for you - but -  How?! I've spent the last day on this and I'm not able to change the date of birth on Microsoft account

Message 9 of 10 (6,559 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it being necroed.

If you have any issues with Star Wars: Battlefront please make a new topic about the issues you are having and what kind of steps you have tried to solve it.

/Atic
Message 10 of 10 (6,494 Views)