Re: Windows blocked our attempt to download game content

by mgdemian86

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Windows blocked our attempt to download game content

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Not very recently I've had a problem with origin not being able to update the only game I play, the only reason i use origin. When I open up origin the first thing that pops up is "Oops… Windows blocked our attempt to download game content. If you'd like to allow Origin to download content to your computer, select "Retry" below. When prompted, grant permission within the User Account Control pop-up." With a button that says 'Retry' and 'cancel.' I don't understand what exactly happens after i press "Retry," because i don't see any notifications or pop ups. I've tried many stuff already, Completely  clean booting my computer, Reinstalling, Log out of my account and back in, and checking other forums, but all of the other forums was from 2014 or before and i figured that may be one of the issues on why those forums don't work out. And most of the  steps they tell me to do usually uses Windows 7, 8, 10, etc. but i have a Windows 8.1. Please help, I've had so many problems I can't count from Origin, but this one is the most consistent and the one that would probably make me believe that Origin won't ever work again, and that i wasted 80$ on Origin, which does make me bummed.

Message 1 of 109 (84,054 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@IDK817

Try to clear your Origin cache.
All settings in Origin (only in Origin not in the games) are back to default settings after this.)

• Close Origin completely.
    (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder.
    (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)
  • Type or copy and paste "%AppData%" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the "Roaming" folder.
  • In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on "AppData".
  • Open the "Local" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the  "Local" folder.
  • Restart your PC. > test

If that don't works:

• Press the Windows key > Write "Services" (without the quotation marks)
  • Click on "Services" in the search results.
  • Search for "Origin Client Service" in the list.
  • Right-click on the "Origin Client Service".
  • Properties > Start Type > Change to "Disabled" - Service Status (below) > Click Stop > Apply! (OK)
  • Do the same with the "Origin Web Helper Service".
  • Restart the PC > Test.

If that also don't works, look at this guide. to preform a clean uninstall of Origin.

• Scroll down to "How to uninstall the Origin client the hard way"
  • Follow the instructions to the letter. 
  • reboot.
  • Download this version of the "OriginSetup.exe"
  • Run the installer as Administrator (Right click the "OriginSetup.exe" > Run as an Administrator) > Test.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 9 of 109 (83,890 Views)

All Replies

Message 2 of 109 (83,969 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hello EA_Barry,

Thank you for replying and trying to help, I've tried the last two threads that were sent and those didn't help me in my scenario. But, I looked at the first one and thought that it might work, since I didn't try it before, and it seemed reasonable, but I don't really understand how to check the User account control pop-up, Because i don't think the thread was specific enough to understand. If you know how to check the User account control pop, like it said, than please reply back when you have the time.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Message 3 of 109 (83,961 Views)

Community Manager

@IDK817

You are welcome.

Click the Start button, search for UAC, click on Change User Account Control settings, In the “User Account Control Settings” window, drag the slider all the way down to the “Never Notify” setting. Click “OK”.

Again, let us know if this helps, thanks.

barry.png
Message 4 of 109 (83,934 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Never suggest users to turn OFF the UAC, what's wrong with you ?! If that is the case (I don't think so), this can be resolved without turning it off.

1 - what type of windows account do you have ?

2 - check the network settings and make sure nothing is blocking access

3 - make sure that Origin has read/write access

4 - make sure that your account has read/write permission

5 - try running Origin as an administrator

6 - try doing a clean install of Origin, including manually deleting the left overs in the Appdata folder

Try doing these and post back with a status.

If none of these work, I suggest you contact support directly and have a live chat, they should be able to help out with this.

Message 5 of 109 (83,929 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for replying and your concern.

I've tried a few of these steps, but the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. If you can can you help me a bit more out on what you mean by "check the network settings and make sure nothing is blocking access," by telling me how exactly i do that? And the same for the 3rd and the 4th steps, I'm sorry if I might be asking for too much, It's just kinda confusing for me. (Sorry for any grammar mistakes i might've written, English isn't my first language.)

Message 6 of 109 (83,912 Views)

@IDK817

Have you tried if it works with disabled User access control like @EA_Barry suggested?

You should not keep the UAC disabled, (So enable it again if the download worked) but if it works it would narrow down the problem.

Furthermore, Is your Windows account an administrator account?

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 7 of 109 (83,903 Views)

★ Apprentice

This didn't fix anything for me, and Yes this User account is Administrator.

Message 8 of 109 (83,898 Views)

[ Edited ]

@IDK817

Try to clear your Origin cache.
All settings in Origin (only in Origin not in the games) are back to default settings after this.)

• Close Origin completely.
    (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)
  • Type or copy and paste "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder.
    (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)
  • Type or copy and paste "%AppData%" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the "Roaming" folder.
  • In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on "AppData".
  • Open the "Local" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the  "Local" folder.
  • Restart your PC. > test

If that don't works:

• Press the Windows key > Write "Services" (without the quotation marks)
  • Click on "Services" in the search results.
  • Search for "Origin Client Service" in the list.
  • Right-click on the "Origin Client Service".
  • Properties > Start Type > Change to "Disabled" - Service Status (below) > Click Stop > Apply! (OK)
  • Do the same with the "Origin Web Helper Service".
  • Restart the PC > Test.

If that also don't works, look at this guide. to preform a clean uninstall of Origin.

• Scroll down to "How to uninstall the Origin client the hard way"
  • Follow the instructions to the letter. 
  • reboot.
  • Download this version of the "OriginSetup.exe"
  • Run the installer as Administrator (Right click the "OriginSetup.exe" > Run as an Administrator) > Test.

Message 9 of 109 (83,891 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I did this and it made things worse where I had to buy the base game again (apparently I don't own it anymore) but now the game won't launch at all anymore as it needs to update which isn't possible to do as it is "blocked by windows" apparently.

Message 10 of 109 (81,439 Views)