Windows 10 Packet Loss

by arbormyst

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Windows 10 Packet Loss

★ Novice

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and since then have begun having rubber banding issues in the game. It appears like there is now a decent amount of packet loss during matches as shown by the red icon that shows up in the top right.

I have troubleshot the problem as far as I can. I have tried updating my drivers and trying other datacenter servers. I have also tried to reset my router without any luck.

My UOTrace results are attached. It looks like I am getting >10% packet loss at the server.

Message 1 of 7 (1,277 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 10 Packet Loss

Community Manager

Hey @arbormyst

The packet loss starts happening pretty early in the trace, almost as soon as it leaves your home network. When you have a chance can you try changing the DNS settings in Windows to see if that helps at all? I've seen cases where using a different DNS can help with issues like this. 

You can change the DNS in the Windows TCP/IP Settings. For more info on how to get there check out the Microsoft Support website. If you select Manual you can enter a DNS of your choosing. I usually suggest the Google DNS (Primary: 8.8.8.8, Secondary: 8.8.4.4), but if there's a different open DNS you would like using instead that's OK as well. 

Let me know how that goes once you've had the chance to give it a shot. 

/Kent

Kent.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (1,231 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @arbormyst

The packet loss starts happening pretty early in the trace, almost as soon as it leaves your home network. When you have a chance can you try changing the DNS settings in Windows to see if that helps at all? I've seen cases where using a different DNS can help with issues like this. 

You can change the DNS in the Windows TCP/IP Settings. For more info on how to get there check out the Microsoft Support website. If you select Manual you can enter a DNS of your choosing. I usually suggest the Google DNS (Primary: 8.8.8.8, Secondary: 8.8.4.4), but if there's a different open DNS you would like using instead that's OK as well. 

Let me know how that goes once you've had the chance to give it a shot. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 7 (1,232 Views)

★ Novice

Kent,

My initial results were actually with Google DNS already.

I reran UOTrace today with Cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 and then reran it with Google DNS (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) (flushing DNS between). I attached the trace results for that and saw no packet loss for both between me and the end server.

In game though, I am still getting the packet loss symbol in top right.

Any other ideas on what I can try? Do I need to restart between changing DNS each time?

Message 3 of 7 (1,197 Views)

★ Novice

Okay, looks like a reset of my router and modem were required, but everything seems to be working now.

Message 4 of 7 (1,169 Views)

Community Manager

@arbormyst 

Thanks for following up and letting me know. I'm glad to hear it's working better for you now! Thumbs up

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 5 of 7 (1,024 Views)

★★★★ Novice

4.79.23.202 is constantly 100% packet loss no matter what dns server I use. Its caused me to get kicked from the game multiple times and caused me to get 2 penalties from playing ranked. Every game it has red boxes in the corner of the screen now. * season 6. Ever since this season started this has been an issue. It never happened in season 5, but as soon as I updated its been buggy af. 

Message 6 of 7 (935 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yo,

I had packet loss issues in about every 5th game for months and I tried everything on EAs guide, nothing worked. Now I found out that my modem router device did not have the current firmware. It is set to automatic updating but for some reason, it didn't update. After updating it manually I do not experience packet loss anymore. I can only imagine that the older firmware has caused a vectoring problem (no idea, just a wild guess). 

When i think back to when the problems started (I stopped playing for months) it pretty much coincides with the date of the firmware update. 

So everyone with packet loss....check your firmware on your modem router.

Good Luck

Message 7 of 7 (664 Views)