Re: Weird lag / stutters despite high FPS?

by M4D-L4D-M4X

Original Post

Weird lag / stutters despite high FPS?

★★★ Novice

I'm getting really strange lag while playing Apex Legends. I stream and the game in my OBS preview looks crystal clear, as does my vod footage. However, on my main display the game looks incredibly stuttered / laggy even though I have ~150 frames. I don't have the issue playing any other game so I'm fairly certain isn't my monitor. I've never experienced anything like this before and have no idea where to even begin as far as troubleshooting this issue. ANy ideas?

Message 1 of 14 (11,844 Views)

★★★ Novice
First of all, I would say you are right, it is not the problem of your PC. Apex seems to have a lot of issues. If you are using an Nvidia card it might be that Apex is causing the card to overclock itself beyond the factory overclocking and that can cause weird FPS drops or stutters. So far I have not seen an official statement about that issue but it has been reported by a few people and my roommate has this problem with his 1060 from Zotac. It has a factory boostclock of 1820 or so and when he is playing Apex it ramps up to over 2000 MHZ! And we changed nothing. The best "solution" so far was to enable VSync and run it at 60 fps, which is his Monitor frequency. But it is not getting rid of some strange fps drops and stutters. The next step I want to try is to decrease the base clock of his card to see if it helps. I keep you posted if you are interested.
Message 2 of 14 (11,833 Views)

★★★ Novice

The thing is my fps is stable 150+. I'm not seeing any FPS drops as far as the number of frames I'm getting goes. I'd rather not play than play with vysnc on to be honest, but if you run into a solution please let me know Standard smile

Message 3 of 14 (11,822 Views)

★ Apprentice
i am having the same disgusting problem
Please update if anyone has a solution
Message 4 of 14 (11,817 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

for reference, my PC specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asus Maximus Hero XI
CPU: i9 9900k (sitting at stock 3.6GHz rn still lmao)
Ram: 32gb DDR4 clocked at 3200
GPU: Nvidia gtx 1080 - evga ftw2
PSU: 750w some gold 80 something idk
Main monitor where everything looks like garbage: Asus VG248QE 24" (144hz, 1ms response)
Secondary monitor where in OBS preview it looks like heccin' butter even though it's objectively a worse display: BenQ RL2455 24" (60hz)

Message 5 of 14 (11,800 Views)

★★★ Novice

I adjusted some settings in my nvidia control panel (i.e. turning off vsync there, setting it to max performance etc) but still having issues, not sure what to try next

Message 6 of 14 (11,729 Views)

★★★ Novice

Did a clean install of windows for * and giggles. Issue is still present.

Message 7 of 14 (11,636 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Sorry to hear that you are having issues @TTVFlamingOopsW. I have seen in the past of users reporting issues with the Asus vg248qe and stuttering/lag.

How are you connected to your system, are you using DVI or HDMI? Can you try swapping your connection type to see if it makes a difference?

Darko

Darko.png
Message 8 of 14 (11,612 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This did not work for me. It's getting worst. It's like lagging but I have no issues with internet connection at 60Mbs.

I have a ryzen 2600, RTX2070, Asus Prime Pro motherboard, 16gb corsair vengeance ram. my rig is not the problem. Any possible fixes?

Message 9 of 14 (11,311 Views)

★ Novice

Having the same problem Playing AL on my Alienware 15R2 running on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

16384MB RAM and GeForce GTX 980M with 8 GB dedicated Vram. I turn on Vsync i get 60FPS but not lags or stutters I turn it off i get these lags and stutters esp mid fight. Dont know why EA is not fixing this problem.

Message 10 of 14 (10,155 Views)