WHERE IS THE ADVANCED SETTINGS?

by angellank17

Original Post

Accepted Solution

WHERE IS THE ADVANCED SETTINGS?

★★★ Newbie

I am trying to install Sims 4, but the C drive on my computer isn't big enough, so I bought a 64 GB USB to install the game on, and it's not letting me. There's a message that pops up saying "The game installation directory is invalid. Please select a different directory." when I try to switch it. There's no "advanced settings" like I've read on other websites, This is getting really frustrating. Is there anyone that can help?

Message 1 of 12 (20,828 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: WHERE IS THE ADVANCED SETTINGS?

EA app Team

Hi @angellank17,

You can change the installation path of the games in Origin > Application settings > Installs & saves. You will find a 'Game library location' option in there.

If you already tried this and that's where you are getting the message, it's because a flash drive/USB is not a recommended place to install your games. The game needs to read/write the files fast to run smoothly, and generally this is not something achievable on a flash drive.

Have you considered moving some other files to your flash drive (videos, documents,...) and installing the game in your hard drive?

-Mai

View in thread

Message 2 of 12 (25,073 Views)

All Replies

EA app Team

Hi @angellank17,

You can change the installation path of the games in Origin > Application settings > Installs & saves. You will find a 'Game library location' option in there.

If you already tried this and that's where you are getting the message, it's because a flash drive/USB is not a recommended place to install your games. The game needs to read/write the files fast to run smoothly, and generally this is not something achievable on a flash drive.

Have you considered moving some other files to your flash drive (videos, documents,...) and installing the game in your hard drive?

-Mai

Message 2 of 12 (25,074 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you!

Message 3 of 12 (20,054 Views)

★ Novice

do you think you could break that down for me? im not a huge tech wiz like a lot of people. lol. like maybe in steps?

Message 4 of 12 (18,582 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Sure, @Ruby_Pearl111! Happy to help a fellow Simmer Standard smile

I'm not sure which is exactly your situation, but from what I understand, you are having issues to install The Sims 4 in your computer because you don't have enough free space, is this correct?

Also, do you know which system your computer has installed? (Windows 10, Windows 7, macOS,...) Don't worry if you don't know the number, but I would need to know if you are in a PC or a Mac.

If you give me some details of what is exactly your situation, I will give you some step by step instructions, with some screenshots if possible to make it more colorful Wink

Welcome to Answers HQ!

-Mai

Message 5 of 12 (18,572 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, so my friend gave me the files for BF1, but when i allocate it, it still wants me to download the full game. 

Help please? I'm on Windows 10

Message 6 of 12 (17,531 Views)

EA app Team
Hi @NurphZA,

It's normal you can see the option to download through Origin, but if the game files are placed in the folder where Origin would install them, complete download shouldn't happen.

Origin should start the 'download' and realize files are in there already, so it should check the files and install the game in your computer.

Have you tried to press 'Download' and it's downloading everything, or is it just checking the files (which is faster)?
-Mai
Message 7 of 12 (17,501 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I had already downloaded Sims on a separate usb disk because my laptop has very low storage space . I deleted everything and still had no room for sims. It worked perfectly fine . I never had issues .

One day i broke my usb .
I just bought a new one ( same exact as the broken one ) and i tried to play sims , it said it needed an update and it would pause the update right at 100%
So i deleted it and tried to start from scratch but it wouldn’t let me download sims it says directory invalid.

I’ve looked in app setting and tried to fix it there and nothing , even there’s it says it.

I’ve deleted origin and redownloaded and still get the same results !
It would really suck ignoring i can no longer use usbs because of my laptop storage space
Message 8 of 12 (16,665 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@aliciagilberry

How much free space do you have on your computer? Even if you have enough on your usb, windows also need a lot of free space to be able to work and temporarily store things during a download.

Try clearing more room from your PC.
Also, try clearing Origin's cache, then try to Run Origin as administrator.

Message 9 of 12 (16,640 Views)

★ Novice

Hey so I am having the same issue but with the demo and I tried to do what you said but it did not work. I have a windows 10 and I need some help.

Message 10 of 12 (16,518 Views)