Very low FPS with good specs PC

by Qazplm632

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Very low FPS with good specs PC

★★ Novice

Hello.

Today I tried to play NFS Payback for the first time but the performance makes it impossible. The framerate is terribly low (a little bit over 30 at most and between 10-20 at least). The graphics setting don't seem to change a lot. Plus with my graphics card it shouldn't be a problem.

My card is Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB, I have 16GB of RAM and Intel i7-4770 3,4 GHz. I updated the drivers (I had to to even run the game) and I don't know where the problem can be.

Message 1 of 15 (21,584 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Very low FPS with good specs PC

★★ Novice

@EA_Barry

It seems that the problem wasn't about the graphics card after all but it was linked to the processor. It was a physical one and after cleaning up the component it seems that the game works normally: never drops under 40 FPS on maxed out settings.

View in thread

Message 8 of 15 (21,431 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Qazplm632

It is likely your machine is defaulting to your Intel video processing on your CPU rather than your nvidia GPU.

1. Open the nvidia Control Panel
  2. Click Manage 3D settings
  3. Click the Program Settings tab
  4. Click the Add button
  5. Select the game from the list or click browse and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Need for Speed Payback\NeedForSpeedPayback.exe
  6. Select NeedForSpeedPayback.exe and then Open
  7. Customise individual settings if you like
  8. Exit nvidia control panel and try playing.

Please try this and let us know how you get on. Thanks

barry.png
Message 2 of 15 (21,501 Views)

★★ Novice

I've added the application in Nvidia Control Panel but unfortunately it doesn't seem to change anything. After loading the game I see that it runs at about 20 FPS.

I think it's likely to be link to this very game. Mad Max works fine on max settings.

Message 3 of 15 (21,483 Views)

Community Manager

@Qazplm632

Setting the graphics quality to AUTO in the settings as well as the following will help with performance:

1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel, under 3D Settings click on Adjust image settings with preview and then move the slider in the main windows all the way over to Performance and click Apply.
  2. Click on Manage 3D Settings, scroll down to Power management mode and choose Prefer Maximum Performance.
  3. Under Texture filtering Quality, choose High Performance.
  4. Click Apply and try playing again.

Let us know how you get on with these settings, thanks.

barry.png
Message 4 of 15 (21,455 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Barry I set all of that but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the framerate. It averages at about 20 FPS sometimes falling to 15 and at most reaching 35. Makes it barely playable.

Message 5 of 15 (21,444 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello @EA_Barry,

Do you have any updates on how can I set up my computer to support the game?

Maybe it's not linked to GPU problems at all? I may try reinstalling Windows and hoping it will help with the performance (maybe there are issues within the system) but I'd like to avoid it if it's possible.

Regards

Message 6 of 15 (21,378 Views)

Community Manager

@Qazplm632

Before you take the relatively drastic action of reinstalling Windows, it might be worthwhile reducing the resolution and graphics quality settings first.

barry.png
Message 7 of 15 (21,359 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Barry

It seems that the problem wasn't about the graphics card after all but it was linked to the processor. It was a physical one and after cleaning up the component it seems that the game works normally: never drops under 40 FPS on maxed out settings.

Message 8 of 15 (21,432 Views)

Community Manager

@Qazplm632

Excellent, thanks for posting!

barry.png
Message 9 of 15 (21,322 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have decent specs on my laptop

I5 vpro  4th version

Samsung 128gb ssd

8gb ram

Intel HD family graphics card 2gb

Sadly the game lags on lowest setting and I'm confused on why could you pls help me guys....

Message 10 of 15 (21,016 Views)