Re: VR in Quest 2 Performs Abysmally

by kid fisto

Original Post

VR in Quest 2 Performs Abysmally

★★★★ Novice

Ive been playing this game since release on an Asus WMR headset with no issues whatsoever, performance has been absolutely fine on high/ultra graphical settings.

Ive just upgraded to an oculus quest 2 and the performance has gone down the toilet. 

As soon as i load in to the game the menu hanger looks weird, as i move my head around things wobble and shake about. Ive only tried loading in to practice mode so far and theres a similar effect and theres a noticeable lag in refresh rate, the frame rate seems awful and makes me feel ill.

Ive tried setting all graphics settings to low to compensate, and set the quest to prioritise performance over quality but nothing seems to help.

Message 1 of 13 (1,154 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Could this be related to this refresh bug im reading about? Or is it a pc performance issue?
Im running on an i5 9400 with 16gb ram and a radeon rx vega 56

The thing thats puzzling me is how performance seemed completely fine on the WMR headset, but is that perhaps linked to the refresh bug? Does the WMR headset also have a natively low refresh rate, perhaps?
Message 2 of 13 (1,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Your pc specs are nowhere near capable of running this game on the resolution of the quest 2, at least not in medium/high graphics setting, if you want to run the game on medium or higher at 72fps, you will need to upgrade your graphics card.

Message 3 of 13 (1,078 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Dysseuss Thanks for the response, is it definitely the card?
I get that it performing fine in ultra settings on a mixed reality set doesnt mean it should automatically perform fine with the same settings on the quest as its a higher resolution, as you say.
But the game isnt even playable when everythings set to low graphics settings, and the vega 56 seems a faster card than the rx 570 which is EAs own recommended spec for VR
Message 4 of 13 (1,059 Views)

★★★ Novice

I got a similar setup like you. I have a i5 9400F, 32Mb RAM and a GTX 1660 and the game works flawlessly on ultra settings in a quest 2.

The only problem I have is that I cant get the Oculus Quest 2 microphone to work in-game to be able to talk to other players. Have you experienced this?

I guess you're also running the game with a link-cable and not using VD?

Message 5 of 13 (1,050 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@PSK76 I am indeed using link cable.
Maybe more RAM is the answer? (More RAM is usually AN answer at least eh)

I've not got as far as checking the microphone, sadly.
Message 6 of 13 (1,047 Views)

★★★ Novice

Now this is strange. Suddenly my microphone decided to work but I also got the same stutters as you describe in your original post.

And whats also strange is that in my settings the graphical settings for VR suddenly appeared. It has not been there before, only the standard graphical settings.

Message 7 of 13 (1,034 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm sure it's the card, I have an RTX2080 which is 70% faster in games than the Vega 56, when running the game on VR with my quest 2 on high/ultra, my GPU is at 100% utilization, and sometimes I get fps dips when there's a lot of particles in scene. If you aim for stable 72 fps in ultra settings you probably at least need an RTX3070 or a RTX3080.

Message 8 of 13 (1,006 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I'm sure I read about a similar problem on Quest 1, where the poster fixed their jitters by disabling the internal mic of the headset. 

Message 9 of 13 (965 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Dogmanbird Blimey, this seems to have made a hell of a difference! I went into windows sound settings and just disabled the input device on the quest 2.
Tested in practice mode and it seemed much better, even risked upping the graphics settings to high and it still seemed fine.
Will do some more testing and report back
Message 10 of 13 (912 Views)