Unplayable stuttering on PC

by MackGyver1

Original Post

Unplayable stuttering on PC

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have been playing GW2 through Origin for awhile now but this just happened recently. No changes have been made to my computer.

After starting Origin and then the game, it will log in with no problem but only after a few minutes of play will the game drop to unplayable frame rate. It's so bad that it's a challenge to just exit the game because it's so slow. I have restarted my computer but the same thing happens.

My DxDiag file is attached.

When quitting the game and going back in, the slowdown will happen immediately after game loads. When I can Alt+Enter the game into window mode, the frame rate/stuttering stops and the game plays in normal frame rate.

Message 1 of 8 (1,072 Views)

Re: Unplayable stuttering on PC

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@MackGyver1

Do you have any overlay programs running in addition to Origin in Game?  Things like FRAPS, RiviaTuner (comes with Afterburner), MSI Gaming App, etc things that Draw on the screen.

Try disabling those.

---

Does changing to Windowed Borderless help?  This should be essentially the same thing as Fullscreen and should play fine on nVidia cards that's I've used.

If you have multiple screens and the mouse comes off, there is some software available to "lock" it to one screen with a hotkey.

---

Still no?

If you Reset your Global 3D Settings in nVidia Control Panel, does it have any affect?

If you use the full nvidia software suite (Experience, etc) but don't use all the features like streaming, 3D, you can disable them.  Probably not it but I don't use these services if I don't need them for what I'm doing.

http://www.legitreviews.com/disabling-nvidia-streamer-service-gives-video-card-performance-boost_162...

Message 2 of 8 (1,058 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for replying so quickly. The game just crashed after a couple of hours of play in window mode. There aren't any apps like you mentioned running on my computer. I don't know how to choose window borderless mode. Do you use that through the in-game settings or properties? I only have one screen. I do have nVidia Experience installed but I don't have any of its features enabled. I basically use it to install drivers. No I have not tried resetting the Global 3D settings.

Message 3 of 8 (1,052 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@MackGyver1

I believe it is in the game settings under Graphics.  Should give three options (Fullscreen, Windowed, Windowed-Fullscreen///borderless)

If it is not, you can manually set Borderless:

Edit with Notepad

\Documents\PVZ Garden Warfare:GW2\settings\PROF_SAVE_profile

GstRender.FullscreenMode 2

GstRender.FullscreenScreen 1

===================

Check Reliability History to see if it logged that crash you had for PvZGW2.EXE

Click "View Technical Details" and tell me what the Fault Module line says (if the PvZ.EXE crash exists).

http://www.howtogeek.com/166911/reliability-monitor-is-the-best-windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-are...

====

There appears to be newer drivers available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Driver Date/Size: 2/9/2016   vs   2016.3.28

Tick "Clean Install" under Advanced when installing them.

Message 4 of 8 (1,045 Views)

★★ Novice

Ever since I applied Borderless in settings, the game has been running smoothly. Any reason why this happened in the first place?

Message 5 of 8 (1,035 Views)

★★ Novice

Unfortunately I am still having the same issues.

Message 6 of 8 (1,002 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Did you try updating your drivers here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Tick "Clean Install" under Advanced.

---

Borderless vs Fullscreen both lag the same now?   It used to fix this issue but now doesn't or was just a short placebo?

--- 

Are you playing Multiplayer game modes or Co-Op game modes?  Co-Op modes are hosted by users and on poor connections it can cause bad gaming conditions.

---

Rename (or delete) t he Documents\PVZ:GW2 folder will reset in-game settings to defaults on next launch. Maybe something got changed somehow?

---

Do you have any user.cfg file the base directory of the game (you would have had to put one there as it isn't stock).  Maybe something bogus is in it, try renaming (or deleting) it.

---- 

I know you said you didn't have overlays.. but maybe something is sneaky around.  Try disabling Origin-in-Game for GW2 as a test.  If this fixes the problems something is likely causing issues for Origin-in-Game (needed for features like store, friend joining etc).

---- 

Other programs in the background hogging resources?  CtlAltDel should suffice for checking around.  One guy I remember a while ago had a coin-miner type virus program causing extremely poor game performance.

@MackGyver1

Message 7 of 8 (991 Views)

★★ Novice

-yes, both fullscreen and borderless both lag the same.

-I'm playing single-player

I noticed that this only happens with this specific game on Origin. I played Jade Empire on Origin right after I had to hard quit GW2 and it played fine. The stuttering sometimes starts a few minutes into the game, right at the beginning (when your plant character pops out of the ground), or even when the game is loading (the little yellow flower shows on the bottom right of the screen.) I haven't changed anything, have not made any major changes to my computer, have not changed any drivers.

Message 8 of 8 (968 Views)