Re: Unlinking origin from steam deletes game progress

by E9ine_AC

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unlinking origin from steam deletes game progress

★★ Novice

I contacted ea support to remove my origin account from steam to play apex legends through steam since all my friends play it there, but they responded that all the game progress I've made will be deleted. ????????

I've spent way too much time and money on this game to earn an heirloom which I still didn't get any but a single mistake logging into the wrong account leads to all my game progress being deleted just doesn't make sense to me. 

Did anyone find a way around this? I just don't get what they were thinking when releasing apex on steam

Message 1 of 10 (3,057 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hi @Typhosaurus

I'm afraid we don't have a way to look into account issues here on Answers HQ. I can really only suggest getting in touch with the EA Help team so they can take a look and see if there's anything they can do to help with this. 

You can find more information on how to set up a case with them over at the EA Help website. If you prefer you can also speak with them over Twitter or Facebook instead. 

/Kent

Kent.png

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (2,516 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @vhong88212

I'm a bit confused on what's happening. Your game progress should carry over from Origin to Steam as long as you connect it with your EA Account. When you first log into the game on Steam it should have prompted you to connect it with an EA Account. Did that not happen for you? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 10 (3,026 Views)

Hero
@EA_Kent I wonder if it is actually because the player Id would possibly be different. When steam runs the name you have is totally different if you have not named it the same. System may be confused with unlinking.

That or they may have assumed or he had told them he was on console trying move to steam at which point the progress is gone.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 10 (3,024 Views)

Community Manager

@E9ine_AC 

Hmm, I'm not sure. As far as I know the difference in player ID between Origin and Steam shouldn't cause a problem because of the way the account system is set up. I'm wondering if maybe the wrong account was linked up somehow. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 4 of 10 (2,991 Views)
Highlighted

Hero
@EA_Kent Yea i figured it would sync it to be same. Player name to me is quite odd and to me could cause few issues as the system reads this name most likely as well as the Id number maybe. I would un sync mine to try it but I own like 400 legendary or more. lol

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 10 (2,988 Views)

★★ Novice

This is what they've sent me

When we delete a persona from your account, you will be able to link it to another account, but your in-game progress will not transfer over. That means you’ll lose access to all entitlements, games, memberships or subscriptions, and in-game purchases that are associated with that persona. You will also permanently lose all game progress. If we delete a persona on an account you use to play FIFA, and that persona is still set as active in the web or companion app, you will lose access to the companion and web app entirely on your account. If we delete a persona on an account you use to play Apex Legends, you may have issues with Battle Pass leveling, item unlocks, and other errors.

Message 6 of 10 (2,959 Views)

Community Manager

@vhong88212 

Ah, I see. This is a limitation of the account system, I'm afraid. Because of the effect it has with some games, Apex Legends included, the team may not be able to unlink the accounts.

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 7 of 10 (2,925 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Kent wrote:

@vhong88212 

Ah, I see. This is a limitation of the account system, I'm afraid. Because of the effect it has with some games, Apex Legends included, the team may not be able to unlink the accounts.

/Kent

So there's no way to fix this? My friend unlinked my account when I was away and linked it to my new one, but apparently he didn't realize it'd delete all my ig purchases.... Which.... Was hundreds of dollars.... And I'm desperately trying to get everything back. 

Message 8 of 10 (2,550 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @Typhosaurus

I'm afraid we don't have a way to look into account issues here on Answers HQ. I can really only suggest getting in touch with the EA Help team so they can take a look and see if there's anything they can do to help with this. 

You can find more information on how to set up a case with them over at the EA Help website. If you prefer you can also speak with them over Twitter or Facebook instead. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 9 of 10 (2,517 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I might be late to this but i think after 6 months you can link it back up to the original one you had at the start and your progress will be there.

Message 10 of 10 (1,263 Views)