Unlinking old EA account from Xbox Gamertag

by StrifeandValour

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unlinking old EA account from Xbox Gamertag

★★★ Newbie

I went to play Apex Legends last night on my Xbox and was prompted to reset my password. The Email the account was made with is 15+ years old and no longer active. AOL cannot re activate the email address whatsoever, and after multiple times contacting EA support I get the same answers read from a script.

They need an IP address, which mine has changed since I first made the account. They also require a credit card number which I never had on my EA account. Which is most likely the main question that's holding me back from "verifying" the account in question is mine. I have multiple game purchases I've made as well as a subscription to EA play which has been prepaid for about a year from now at this point. I've been refused access to the account and refused to unlink the account from my Gamertag. All I want at this point is to either get the old email updated or get a new EA account on my gamertag. And seeing as I have proof I am a paying customer its also not anywhere near enough information for them to even attempt to help me. I've been hung up on, spoken over, ignored and been refused outright at the request to speak to a supervisor. EA, is this how you treat your paying customers? This is outrageous. 

Message 1 of 41 (6,879 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlinking old EA account from Xbox Gamertag

Community Manager

Hi there, @StrifeandValour.

Unfortunately, this isn't something we can help with through Answers HQ. You'll need to contact an advisor again. As far as this issue goes, if you can't answer the account verification questions, we won't be able to grant you access to it. Unlinking a gamertag from an EA account deletes all progress on all EA games so we need to verify you own the account before this is done.

Aljo.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 41 (6,854 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi there, @StrifeandValour.

Unfortunately, this isn't something we can help with through Answers HQ. You'll need to contact an advisor again. As far as this issue goes, if you can't answer the account verification questions, we won't be able to grant you access to it. Unlinking a gamertag from an EA account deletes all progress on all EA games so we need to verify you own the account before this is done.

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 41 (6,855 Views)

★★★ Novice

same thing is happening to me for 6 months now. Its so bs, they ask for 30 different things and don't tell you what information is wrong. Someone hacked my account and changed the email connected to my xbox account but I cnat even use a different ea account on it. Even if you show proof of purchase, and that you have access to the email account connected to it they give you the same bs about "not being able to verify ownership". Ive spent alot of money on ea games, and they wont even let me unlink my ea account from my xbox account to make a new one.

Message 3 of 41 (6,754 Views)

Community Manager

Hello, @SGT_Pibsa 

What exactly is the issue you're facing? If you have access to the email on the account, you should be able to verify ownership and make changes without speaking with an advisor.

Aljo.png
Message 4 of 41 (6,702 Views)

★★★ Novice

So a while back someone changed the email connected to my account, and I've been trying to regain access to it for some time now. I've tried changing it back but I keep having to contact support, and after talking to them for 2 or 3 hours they're "unable to verify ownership". Even tho I'm using the email account that was originally on the account.

Message 5 of 41 (6,701 Views)

Community Manager

@SGT_Pibsa 

Thanks for clearing that up. You need to have access to the email that is currently on the account in order to verify ownership. Otherwise, you'll have to keep trying to verify through the account recovery process as you have been. Unfortunately, without answering those questions, we can't verify you own the account.

Aljo.png
Message 6 of 41 (6,694 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for the quick reply. I've answered the questions multiple times, and I've gone back and checked 3x as many times. But they keep telling me it's wrong information. I can provide proof of purchase and proof that I own the original email. But there's no way for me to tell what information is wrong so I can correct it.

It's ridiculous that someone hacks my account and changes the email address and I can't even unlink it to make a new one, much less get my hard work back and stuff I've purchased.

Message 7 of 41 (6,686 Views)

Community Manager

@SGT_Pibsa 

The problem is, you're not answering those questions accurately. So, we can't verify ownership. The best I can advise is to try again by contacting an advisor and trying to answer those questions. We're unable to help with this over Answers HQ.

Aljo.png
Message 8 of 41 (6,671 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I cant play Apex... whenever I try to play it asks me to change password. Changed password 5 times now!

Message 9 of 41 (5,908 Views)

Community Manager

Hello, @AtXmitts 

Are you sure you're resetting the password for the right account? I'm not seeing Apex as being played on the one you're posting with. So, if you have another account, that is the email you should be resetting the password for.

Aljo.png
Message 10 of 41 (5,877 Views)