Unable to launch the game

by mwc1989

Original Post

Unable to launch the game

★★★ Newbie

I posted this in the bug reports, but noticed that maybe this needs to go here, instead? First time around these parts so I am a little confused on what needs to go where.

I play on PC via Steam and last played a couple weeks ago or so. Everything back then was just fine, as I played and progressed and story mode a fair bit. However, last night I tried to play again and noticed there was an update for the game. I updated the game and then tried to play and wound up having a black screen for a few seconds, before suddenly the game shut down trying to start and I was back at my Steam screen. I waited a moment and tried again, and the same result happened.

I decided to uninstall and then try another game. Another couple of games actually worked fine, and so I reinstalled the game. Now the game won't even load to a black screen. It attempts to load, and then goes nowhere before giving up and giving me the option to try and 'play' again. I am at a loss as to what to do at this point, thinking maybe this latest update has just simply broken the game for me.

Message 1 of 9 (2,551 Views)

Re: Unable to launch the game

★★★★ Novice
The same issue with pc origin / ea plattform since last game update v5.0.

Can not start the game. The game is loading until the screen, where i had to press ENTER. After pressing ENTER the game crashes to desktop without any notice or error message.

I tried to repair the game in the launcher and i also tried to uninstall, without success.

Other origin games are working fine.

any suggestion?

last screen i can see after crashing to desktop is attached

Message 2 of 9 (2,151 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same issue too. Seems like a lot of people are having this problem but no one is fixing it. 

Message 3 of 9 (2,097 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@ ea support - i have one more suggetion regarding to this technical issue.

Around the time with update v5.0., I had an windows 10 update for .NET Framework (KB5020687) and there was an quality update (KB5019959). Pleace check, if this can be responsible for the problems of many players.

Message 4 of 9 (2,085 Views)

★★ Novice

Making a reply so that maybe this gets some attention. I also can no longer even launch the game, and it started after that last update. Other games in EA desktop work so I don't understand why grid isn't.

Message 5 of 9 (2,045 Views)

EA Codemasters Team
@mwc1989 Hey everyone, thank you for the reports on this. Got some relatively straightforward troubleshooting steps to suggest. For the time being, please make sure that Windows is up to date and that your GPU is up to date.

We're investigating this on our side but please let me know whether those suggestions work.
Message 6 of 9 (2,030 Views)

★★ Novice
@CM_TGK I triple checked to see if my windows was updated and the video drivers (alongside the other drivers) were up to date and functional and they were. Launching the game makes it briefly appear in the processes tab on task manager with 0.1% disk usage and then disappears.
Message 7 of 9 (1,989 Views)

★★★ Newbie
No. Problem still exists. Program launch, black screen and crash.
Message 8 of 9 (1,661 Views)

★★★★ Novice

dear ea-support,

please read this!

3 month later, the problem still exists.

In the meantime i even reinstalled windows 10, of course including the origin app and the game. but the game still won't start.

And in the second step I even installed windows 11. This also does not lead to a better result. The game stays dead ...

And now the best thing i tried: I installed everything on another pc.

But you won't believe it, the game won't start ... The exact same probleme... This is so sad !

@CM_TGKor however this read in the ea support: do you have any ideas ?

Message 9 of 9 (1,084 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help